• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Flip Saunders may be available

KB21

Quote:

This is a joke right? If we wanted to simply get to the playoffs and lose, we can keep Woody. Flip has been repeatedly outcoached in the playoffs and coming here won't change that.

um that's not the same thing.Detroit is in the playoffs every year.We limped into the playoffs once despite Woody.and it's already confirmed that Saunders is staying in Detroit through the final year of his contract.

Detroit also has BEEN going deep into the playoffs before he got there. to clarify: he didn't get them anywhere they hadn't already been. So why would this change here? Flips failures in Minnesota is well documented (only getting out the FIRST ROUND once) and in Detroit... LeBron is great but give me a break! there is no way they should have lost to Cleveland last year. And this year... i just don't know what he was thinking guarding K.G. 1 on 1. Seems he has the same flaws as Woody... not very motivating and not very adaptive.

Simply put, he is not a very good coach.

Quote:

Detroit also has BEEN going deep into the playoffs before he got there. to clarify: he didn't get them anywhere they hadn't already been. So why would this change here? Flips failures in Minnesota is well documented (only getting out the FIRST ROUND once) and in Detroit... LeBron is great but give me a break! there is no way they should have lost to Cleveland last year. And this year... i just don't know what he was thinking guarding K.G. 1 on 1. Seems he has the same flaws as Woody... not very motivating and not very adaptive.

please.He's a hall of famer compared to Woody.It's no contest.I'd take Saunders over Woody 7 days a week.Atleast he has some positives.Woody has none.

I question whether that would have been the case. If Flip's more talented, more experienced and deeper Pistons lost TWO home games to the Celtics, I don't see how he would have done better with our roster. Our home crowd was great but the Pistons ALWAYS have great home crowds as well.

Conversely, I think Woody could have coached the Pistons to AT LEAST two wins in a series against the Celtics. I don't know that he would have done any better than Flip did but I don't think he could have done worse. Flip's teams have always underachieved in the playoffs. There is NO WAY the Cavs should have beaten them last year and they were the favorites to win the East going into the season this year as most people thought it would take the Celtics a year or so to develop the necessary chemistry.

Flip would not be a bad hire but he would be a lateral move in my opinion. I'd rather go after Avery Johnson, Fratello or Del Harris if I were going to make a change. Honestly, I might just shoot for the moon and throw a boat load of money at Byron Scott. He is not likely to take it as he has an incredible situation in NO but you never know. Money does talk.

Quote:

I question whether that would have been the case. If Flip's more talented, more experienced and deeper Pistons lost TWO home games to the Celtics, I don't see how he would have done better with our roster. Our home crowd was great but the Pistons ALWAYS have great home crowds as well.

Conversely, I think Woody could have coached the Pistons to AT LEAST two wins in a series against the Celtics. I don't know that he would have done any better than Flip did but I don't think he could have done worse. Flip's teams have always underachieved in the playoffs. There is NO WAY the Cavs should have beaten them last year and they were the favorites to win the East going into the season this year as most people thought it would take the Celtics a year or so to develop the necessary chemistry.

Flip would not be a bad hire but he would be a lateral move in my opinion. I'd rather go after Avery Johnson, Fratello or Del Harris if I were going to make a change. Honestly, I might just shoot for the moon and throw a boat load of money at Byron Scott. He is not likely to take it as he has an incredible situation in NO but you never know. Money does talk.

IT WASN'T COACHING IT WAS PLAYERS.Flips subs would have gave us a chance to win because Woody can't sub to save his life.He would have played Law against Rondo and had sat Bibby if he continued to be innefective.and he also has a real offense.on defense never would u see Bibby on a big and Horford on a PG.There's NO WAY the Hawks startes should have been beaten by a D-League team wearing Heat on their chests.Woodson hasn't COACHED the Hawks to a win since he's been here so what makes u think he can coach a championship calibur team that a real coach couldn't?

Flip is an OK coach. Its just hard to gage how good of a coach he really is. Whenever he has been successful he as had very talented veteran teams. (Cassell, Garnett, and Sprewell) (The current Pistons). I don't hink he over achieved with either of those teams. Without a top 5 players such as (Jordan, Duncam Shaq, Kobe) you need to over acvhieve to win it all. The Pistons team that beat Kobe and Shaq probably did over achieve under Larry Brown but not Flip Saunders.

Those teams Flip had almost coach themselves to 50 wins and the Conference Finals. Especially in the case of the Pistons.

Now coaching 3 starters who are 21 is a different ball game then rosters with 3 to 5 seasoned allstars on each roster. People can't seem to rationalize that when judging Woody and the flawed hand he was dealt. That offensive system that Flip is given credit for would not look so hot with the Hawks roster in the half court the past 3 seasons. (Three 21 year olds and AJ and Lue with the keys spells offenive disaster people).

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He's not at the top of the list in my mind...

Detroit is a vet team and
he couldn't win with them
. I doubt he gets fired but if he did... I don't know...

He couldn't win with them? Jesus what is wrong with you people? Doc can't win, Avery can't win, Flip can't win blah blah blah. Did you watch the NBA this year? The Pistons won a few you know? Are you waiting to see who wins the Championship and letting that coach set the bar for who we go after?

Once again for the record, I'd take Flip over Woody. I'd take Doc over Woody. I'd take any coach who won more than 50 games over Woody. For those of you who wouldn't....I don't know what to tell ya.

Let's be honest here.

Flip took Larry Brown's championship team and never won a championship with them. He was a good caretaker... making sure that they kept the core together.

Which is a far cry from "can't win with them" don't ya think?

Quote:

Quote:

...He couldn't win with them? Jesus what is wrong with you people? Doc can't win, Avery can't win, Flip can't win blah blah blah. Did you watch the NBA this year? The Pistons won a few you know? Are you waiting to see who wins the Championship and letting that coach set the bar for who we go after?

Once again for the record, I'd take Flip over Woody. I'd take Doc over Woody. I'd take any coach who won more than 50 games over Woody. For those of you who wouldn't....I don't know what to tell ya.

LOL - exactly DSin - you can't get Vince Lombardi every time out - just get better. Personally I would take Wierd Al Yankovich over Woody. huepfenicon111.gif

I wouldn't go that far lol. But it irks me to no end how some of our posters get so anal about decent coaches. Especially when we have Woody. None of them are perfect but Jeezus man. It's not like we've been hoovering around 45 or so wins and we don't want to mess up that continuity. That would make a decent argument. But when your coach's best recored ever is 37 and you have posters here talking about not wanting very good coaches because they couldn't win it all it's rediculous. I wish they'd hold the same bar to Woody that they do the other coaches.

Quote:

Quote:

please.He's a hall of famer compared to Woody.It's no contest.I'd take Saunders over Woody 7 days a week.Atleast he has some positives.Woody has none.

Put it this way...If both Woody and Flip were released this year I would bet the house that Flip gets a job first. I'd also put up the wife and dog that Woody wouldn't even get another HC job. Do you really disagree with this?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Put it this way...If both Woody and Flip were released this year I would bet the house that Flip gets a job first. I'd also put up the wife and dog that Woody wouldn't even get another HC job. Do you really disagree with this? nope (kinda wondering why u quoted me though)not all.It's not even close.Woody will be lucky to get another head coaching job in this league again.He'd be a horrible college coach also because all of them are young lol.and still are more capable of running an offense than Woody.Could Woody get a high school team to the playoffs?hmmmm maybe with Lebron James,Greg Oden,Chris Paul,Brandon Roy, and Tim Duncan on the same team.lol he'd start his 4'11" slow son over Chris Paul if he had one.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Put it this way...If both Woody and Flip were released this year I would bet the house that Flip gets a job first. I'd also put up the wife and dog that Woody wouldn't even get another HC job. Do you really disagree with this? nope (kinda wondering why u quoted me though)not all.It's not even close.Woody will be lucky to get another head coaching job in this league again.He'd be a horrible college coach also because all of them are young lol.and still are more capable of running an offense than Woody.Could Woody get a high school team to the playoffs?hmmmm maybe with Lebron James,Greg Oden,Chris Paul,Brandon Roy, and Tim Duncan on the same team.lol he'd start his 4'11" slow son over Chris Paul if he had one.

Sorry. I have a bad habit of replying to the last thread. That question was definatly not directed at you.

When you have a veteran roster than already has a championship, you can't blame the coach for lack of motivation. Almost everyone on that team knew what it takes to win big, but they just didn't do what needed to be done. It's hard to motivate people who have already got the hardware to win more.

Quote:

When you have a veteran roster than already has a championship, you can't blame the coach for lack of motivation. Almost everyone on that team knew what it takes to win big, but they just didn't do what needed to be done. It's hard to motivate people who have already got the hardware to win more.

I agree with this. That Piston team should've had every motivation in the world to beat Boston, seeing that people were pretty much handing them the Eastern Conference title from day 1. Plus with the way they lost to Cleveland last year, motivation shouldn't have been a factor.

I think 3 things did Flip in.

- They were the only team to let Boston win on the road in the playoffs. The Pistons did exactly what they needed to do by winning one of the first 2 games in Boston, then they give it right back in Game 3 and end up losing the series in Game 6. Fans and management will use that "if, then why" argument. They're like . . "if a team like the Hawks can beat Boston all 3 games at home, then why couldn't we do it?"

- ATL and Cleveland employed a defensive strategy to pretty much make Rondo beat them, while trying to limit the production of one of the Big 3. Detroit didn't do that, pretty much playing everybody straight up. It's strange to see a team that prides itself on defense, not make defensive adjustments. Boston, on the other hand, made defensive adjustments in every series they played.

- Flip needed to reign in Rasheed Wallace, and he just couldn't do it. Rasheed is a dominating personality out on the court that has always tended to do whatever he wants to do. Larry Brown, with his dealings with Iverson, could handle Rasheed and make him play within himself sometimes. Flip couldn't do it. He's gettting a lot of criticism for not making Rasheed play down low. Flip is probably taking too much heat fot that, because that's more on Rasheed than anything. So the only thing Flip could've done, is tell the others to freeze Sheed out, or play Maxiell and McDyess more.

Quote:

Quote:

what coach doesn't seem hall of fame like when compared to Woody? so WTF? what positives does Flip really have? name them... an to say woody has NONE is very biased. he may not have a good offense but i defensive work HAS improved under him. but right... blame the PLAYERS for flips failures and WOODY for his own. Fine.