• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Beasely admits he is only 6'8''

coachx

http://insidehoops.com/beasley-interview-053008.shtml

InsideHoops.com: What do you think your ideal position is in the NBA? Should we call you a small forward who is big enough to play power forward?

Michael Beasley: Yeah, I like that. Because I didn't measure at what I want to measure at.

InsideHoops.com: What did you measure at?

Michael Beasley: 6-8.

InsideHoops.com: Ah, 6-8, right on the nose?

Michael Beasley: 6-8 and a half.

InsideHoops.com: OK, so, rounded off that's 6-9.

Michael Beasley: 6-9, please!

InsideHoops.com: So, we should call you a...

Michael Beasley: Three, four.

InsideHoops.com: An NBA three who is strong enough to rebound like a four.

Michael Beasley: I like that.

InsideHoops.com: Sound good?

Michael Beasley: Yeah.

InsideHoops.com: Am I your PR rep or a reporter?

Michael Beasley: [Laughs]

Looks like Beasely may slip down to the consensus #2 pick as he is now admitting he is only 6'8'' before he is ever officially measured. Sounds to me like he is trying to already do damage control on that by softening the initial impact of having less then ideal measureables for a PF. I am guessing this, 6'8'', is with shoes as almost all NBA players list there height in shoes. (except for the players of the 50's - 70's and KG who says he is only 6'11'' ) If Beasley measures under 6'7'' without shoes he could even slip lower then #2. We can't forget that standing reach is more important then height. So if he has long arms his less the ideal height could be forgiven.

For comparison's sake lets look at last year's draft:

Al Horford measured 6'8.75'' without shoes. He wore unusually low soled shoes that only had a 1'' heal to make him 6'9.75'' in shoes. If he wore the shoes some other players wore (like Jeff Green or Critt) he would have been a legit 6'10.25'' to even 6'10.5'' in shoes easily.

http://www.mynbadraft.com/NBA-Draft-Combine-Measurements/

Player Height w/o Shoes Height w/shoes Weight Wingspan Standing Reach Body Fat %

Corey Brewer 6-6¾ 6-7¾ 185 6-8¾ 8-7 4.2

Mike Conley 5-11¾ 6-0¾ 175 6-5¾ 7-10½ 4.2

Javaris Crittenton 6-3 6-4¾ 194 6-5½ 8-2 4.5

Kevin Durant 6-9 6-10¼ 215 7-4¾ 9-2 6.6

Jeff Green 6-7¾ 6-9½ 228 7-1¼ 8-7 3.7

Spencer Hawes 6-10½ 7-0¾ 244 7-0½ 9-2 13

Al Horford 6-8¾ 6-9¾ 244 7-0¾ 8-11 9.1

Acie Law 6-2 6-3½ 186 6-6½ 8-2 5.6

Josh McRoberts 6-8¾ 6-10 240 7-1 8-10½ 13.7

Greg Oden 6-11 7-0 257 7-4¼ 9-4 7.8

Joakim Noah 6-10½ 7-0 223 7-1¾ 8-10½ 4.8

When Josh Smith was 18 (2004) he measured:

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/archiv...hp/t-31591.html

Smith, Josh 6'7" 6'8.25" 221 7'0" 8'10.5"

Probably the same as Beasley is now, height wise. However, Smoove may be a legit 6'9'' in shoes since he was just 18 when drafted. Also notice that Smith's standing reach is the same as Noah who measured 7'0'' in height (a 3.75'' difference in height between Smoove in Noah but equal standing reaches that helps Smith get all those blocks. ( So remember that looking at height w/o standing reach means nothing.)

Smith, Josh 6'7" 6'8.25" 221 7'0" 8'10.5"

Joakim Noah 6-10½ 7-0 223 7-1¾ 8-10½

Just some food for thought. It looks like Beasely may be more like a Anthony Mason / Xavier McDaniel / D. West then a Derrick Coleman.

Player Height w/o Shoes Height w/shoes Weight Wingspan Standing Reach Body Fat %

I just noticed this. Look at how long Conley and Law's arms are. Law should turn into to a pretty darn good defender with that wingspan, standing reach, and body size as a PG. (Law looks like he is easily 200 lbs now and no longer 186 lbs).

For guards the wingspan is just as important as standing as guards are expepected to play passing lanes. Law has some really good wing span for his height and Conley's is just insane.

We see how Rondo's wing span has bothered opposing PG's like Bibby and Billups in the playoffs.

Quote:

I just noticed this. Look at how long Conley and Law's arms are. Law should turn into to a pretty darn good defender with that wingspan, standing reach, and body size as a PG. (Law looks like he is easily 200 lbs now and no longer 186 lbs).

For guards the wingspan is just as important as standing as guards are expepected to play passing lanes. Law has some really good wing span for his height and Conley's is just insane.

We see how Rondo's wing span has bothered opposing PG's like Bibby and Billups in the playoffs.

I went back and forth for days about these combine results with Atlas last year lol.

I just got a bad memory when it come to 1 year old internet post.

I do recall everyone really harping over it now with the big Critt debate . Once Law measured just as good length wise and atheletic wise as Critt some then eased up on their criticsm of Law.

Most of my attention at the time was on Horford's measurments trasfering to center. (Seems most of the board was hyped for Yi or Wright at #3 back then even though none could play center for years, if ever.)

Quote:

I do recall everyone really harping over it now with the big Critt debate . Once Law measured just as good length wise and atheletic wise as Critt some then eased up on their criticsm of Law.

Most of my attention at the time was on Horford's measurments trasfering to center. (Seems most of the board was hyped for Yi or Wright at #3 back then even though none could play center for years, if ever.)

Mournings standing reach isn't shown but with his 7'6" wingspan (5" more than Horford) i think it is probably far higher than Horford. There were people comparing Horford to Mourning last summer which i thought was hilarious. Mourning averaged 20/10 with 3 blocks as a rookie.

Quote:

Quote:

Mournings standing reach isn't shown but with his 7'6" wingspan (5" more than Horford) i think it is probably far higher than Horford. There were people comparing Horford to Mourning last summer which i thought was hilarious. Mourning averaged 20/10 with 3 blocks as a rookie.

Ya, I would speculate that Mourning's standing reach is probably around 3'' higher then Horfords. Mourning's broad shoulders are or were at least 2'' wider them Horford to make up the 5'' wingspan advantage....

Right now I liken Horford's game to Antonio Davis in his prime. A true PF that is tough enough and rough enough to play C (if you don't have a top 10 center on your team). Horford has the ability to grow into to a better scorer then Davis but he has to prove it.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Yeah I still think Critt is a very good prospect and I think he'll be a good player, the guy can definitely play. But I always liked Law also, I just liked Critt's potential.

Quote:

Me too, I think he's done well. He may or may not do better at PF, but we'll see when he gets the chance. He will sooner or later.

Quote:

...Ya, I would speculate that Mourning's standing reach is probably around 3'' higher then Horfords. Mourning's broad shoulders are or were at least 2'' wider them Horford to make up the 5'' wingspan advantage....

I don't know how the standing reach is measured (never been to an NBA draft camp). If it is two handed standing and reaching up then wide shoulders are a plus if a guy is skilled at lowering one shoulder an elevating one handed. At least that would be my guess since a strong player (strong legs) could make it an extra couple inches or so in game situations...especially if he has big hands and can snag the ball one-handed easily. Of course talent is the key. Shelden has wide shoulders but isn't explosive so it doesn't seem to matter that he has wide shoulders.

Overall head weight may also be a factor. A guy like KG has a relatively slim (lighter) and areo-dynamic head. When he elevates his head acts like a bullet cutting through the air. For a guy like Shelden...he has to struggle to push up that heavy-assed pickle barrel of his... eek.gif

(no offense Shell - I gotta big head too)

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

...Ya, I would speculate that Mourning's standing reach is probably around 3'' higher then Horfords. Mourning's broad shoulders are or were at least 2'' wider them Horford to make up the 5'' wingspan advantage....

I don't know how the standing reach is measured (never been to an NBA draft camp).

My understanding is that you stand still and hold both arms up in the air and however high you reach is your standing reach.

• 6 months later...
Yes but having a wider wingspan helps on perimeter defense and steals but a higher standing reach helps in shot blocking more than a longer wingspan.

Igor why do you continue to dig up such old threads? I think that every one of your posts has been in a thread that's been dead for quite a while. There's no rule against it but it's just very odd that you would only post in old threads.