• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Woodson GPA

AHF

• Premium Member

Although his offensive schemes are absolute FAIL, the team has demonstrated exceptional defense at times; so, I'm not a complete Woodson hater. Though he is painfully average as a head coach - at best.

I give him a C-

Quote:

I gave him a D for the season, but for the playoffs (final exam) it would be a B. Over the past few years probably a D+ or maybe C-.

So what did "Woody" do in the playoffs above what he did in the regular season? I know our guys played harder at home but I really didn't see anything different in his coaching style during the playoffs.

F for Woody from me.

Quote:

Quote:

I gave him a D for the season, but for the playoffs (final exam) it would be a B. Over the past few years probably a D+ or maybe C-.

So what did "Woody" do in the playoffs above what he did in the regular season? I know our guys played harder at home but I really didn't see anything different in his coaching style during the playoffs.

F for Woody from me. I was just about to type the same thing till I saw this

The people giving Woody an F are just haters.

I gave him a C- as well, mainly for the way he managed or mismanaged Acie this year. At the vry least, I wished he would've treated him like he used to do Royal Ivey. Play him with the starters to start halves, even if he doesn't play after he comes out. He would've been much better off in an Ivey type role, until he became consitent enough to be trusted with major minutes.

I do understand why Woody didn't play him much though. With his job on the line, he had no time or patience to try to develop players. I personally would love to see Acie be the starter, and Bibby the hired gun off the bench against weaker PGs.

Even if Bibby logs more minutes than Acie, it's probably in our best interest to play Acie with a group that can maximize his abilities.

Thanks AHF, for making that poll.

To give Woody an F means that people truly believe that we should have won 47 - 50 games this year, a number that no one on this board said before the season started. Most thought we were a .500 or slightly below a .500 team. Now, with like the Chris Paul argument, people have selective amnesia.

Then again, even when we were 14 - 12 back in December, Woody was getting little credit for that record and people would have given him D's and F's back then too.

Gotta love Hawksquawk.

Woody's GPA after 24 votes is a "solid" 1.3. That's definitely low enough to be put on academic probation for a semester, but not quite low enough to get kicked out of school, without the opportunity to raise it to a 2.0.

If he's retained, and we start out 3 - 6 next year, that could easily get him fired real quick. It'll be like being on probation, and immeadiately failing your first few major tests.

Quote:

Please define "hater". I don't hate the man. I don't even know him. I do hate the fact that he's our coach. I hate the fact that he can only muster 37 wins. I hate the fact that he has no "B" game plane. I hate the fact that his "A" game plan rarely works. I hate the fact that we are a young team who still manages to get very little "experience". I hate the fact that he thinks he is above working on anything himself. How can he expect his players to improve and work on things when he isn't even able to acknowledge some of his own flaws?

I didn't GIVE him an F because I'm a hater, he EARNED the F because he is the worst coach in the NBA as of this post.

Quote:

Quote:

Please define "hater". I don't hate the man. I don't even know him. I do hate the fact that he's our coach. I hate the fact that he can only muster 37 wins. I hate the fact that he has no "B" game plane. I hate the fact that his "A" game plan rarely works. I hate the fact that we are a young team who still manages to get very little "experience". I hate the fact that he thinks he is above working on anything himself. How can he expect his players to improve and work on things when he isn't even able to acknowledge some of his own flaws?

I didn't GIVE him an F because I'm a hater, he EARNED the F because he is the worst coach in the NBA as of this post. exactly.How is understanding your teams coach is the worst in the league hating?I don't use these words but he's more of a hugger (lol I can't beleive I said that) than we're haters.Giving him an F is GENEROUS.

• Moderators

The one positive I will say for Woody is that this team never quit on him. People know I think he has underperformed but I can easily imagine a more disasterous scenario where players' attitudes were terrible and there was no effort, plenty of backbiting, etc. The defensive effort has been passable, although still not anything amazing, and the offense has been a total failure. The development of young players has not been very good. But the team kept trying and the team's leader still publically backs Woodson so he does have that going for him as opposed to a team like Detroit where Saunders has just totally lost the respect of his players.

For that reason, I gave a D.

um most of the players don't even pay attention to him when he talks.I don't see that as a reason to think they didn't quit on him.They have pride to and aren't just gonna lay down and get swept.Especially with packed crowds chearing their azzes off to see them do well.They knew they had no chance without the home crowd behind them.and not to say they weren't sincere but nobody except for a-holes (which this team has 0 of) would say screw Woody I don't want him back.

Quote:

The one positive I will say for Woody is that this team never quit on him. People know I think he has underperformed but I can easily imagine a more disasterous scenario where players' attitudes were terrible and there was no effort, plenty of backbiting, etc. The defensive effort has been passable, although still not anything amazing, and the offense has been a total failure. The development of young players has not been very good. But the team kept trying and the team's leader still publically backs Woodson so he does have that going for him as opposed to a team like Detroit where Saunders has just totally lost the respect of his players.

For that reason, I gave a D.

I think outside of JJ and a couple of others, most don't like to play for him. We are a young team with a coach that doesn't trust young players. One strike and your out isn't the best philosophy for a young team trying to earn minutes.

Plus with us winning only 37 games I'd have to say they not only quit several games, but a lot of times didn't even show up. Which is worse?

You are right though. It could have been worse. Hmm, or maybe better. I actually wish it had come to that point, he'd be out the door for sure then

Quote:

Quote:

I didn't GIVE him an F because I'm a hater, he EARNED the F because he is the worst coach in the NBA as of this post.

So how many games should we have won this year?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think 47 was an unreachable number. The way the East panned out and the fact that our injury bug moved on AND taking the Eastern Champs to 7 games I think 45+ was reachable. Please don't ask if that's the number I thought of at the beggining of the year because that has absolutly nothing to do with me grading Woody based on this year and what I saw. Plus I don't really remember what I might of guessed.

Why don't you tell me why we will win more than 37 next year with the same squad and same coaches? I know going by BK's "plan" that should put us around 42 wins. So, I'll buy that. Should be a fine year.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think 47 was an unreachable number. The way the East panned out and the fact that our injury bug moved on AND taking the Eastern Champs to 7 games I think 45+ was reachable. Please don't ask if that's the number I thought of at the beggining of the year because that has absolutly nothing to do with me grading Woody based on this year and what I saw. Plus I don't really remember what I might of guessed.

Why don't you tell me why we will win more than 37 next year with the same squad and same coaches? I know going by BK's "plan" that should put us around 42 wins. So, I'll buy that. Should be a fine year.

I actually thought they'd win 42 games this year. If the coach could have gotten these guys to overachieve like the Sixers, we could have been around 45 this year. Who knows ?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I actually thought they'd win 42 games this year. If the coach could have gotten these guys to overachieve like the Sixers, we could have been around 45 this year. Who knows ? we didn't even need to overachieve to win that many.Woody's dumb lineups and subs and sorry excuse of an offense cost atleast the 8 game difference.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow.

Just wow.

We're now a team that were supposed to win 45+ games? That's living in fantasy land my friend. To do that, we'd either have to have been one of the best home teams in the league by winning 32+ home games ( with one of the weakest crowds in the league, until the playoffs started ) . . or . . we'd have to become a .500 team on the road. We weren't equipped to do neither of those things this year.

I started a thread at the beginning of the season entitled, "Can the Hawks win 25 home games". The 25 home win mark is usually the magic number for reaching the playoffs. I looked back over about an 8 - 10 year period. And around 80% - 85% of the teams that won 25 home games, got into the playoffs.

So my theory was if we could win 25 home games, and 16 road games, that those 41 wins should get us in the playoffs.

This year, we got those 25 home wins, but only 12 on the road.

And how convienent that NOW the 3 home wins vs the Celtics matter, when most discount them as just the Hawks playing way over their heads because of the crowd. Forget that boston was the best road team in the league up until that series with us.

Those wins matter, unless you're trying to make a case for Woody, then they don't matter.

The difference next year, if we keep this team intact, should be the matuation of our young players and at least a little stability AND TALENT at the point and center spot for the first time since we had Mookie and Deke.

The wild card for us may be Andersen, and how Woody integrates him into the rotation IF Andersen's game can make the transition to NBA level.

As for Woody and his coaching, he'll continue to do the things that he needs to do in order for us to win games:

- emphasizng defense and especially rebounding

- properly defining roles for our main rotation guys

- motivating the team at all times, even when things go bad

- continuing the offensive development of Josh Smith, something he gets absolutely no credit for, but should, because it was his idea to establish him as the 2nd offensive option and play him at the 4.

- hopefully becoming better with in-game adjustments, especially on offense. That has already become a little better with bibby at the helm ( minus his performance in the playoffs )