• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Here are the Draft measurements.....

HawkNJersey

Can someone explain standing reach to me? It's a bit confusing. I see two players the same height, but one has a much broader wingspan, yet the other guy has the higher standing reach. I just don't get how that works. Longer wingspan = longer arms (usually...broad shoulders play a part) so I can't see how the other guy has the higher standing reach.

Quote:

Can someone explain standing reach to me? It's a bit confusing. I see two players the same height, but one has a much broader wingspan, yet the other guy has the higher standing reach. I just don't get how that works. Longer wingspan = longer arms (usually...broad shoulders play a part) so I can't see how the other guy has the higher standing reach.

Standing reach is how high a player can reach with his arms straight up over his head. Shelden had a long winspan but short standing reach. Obviously his broad shoulders, long neck and 8head all played a role.

Interesting that Beasley is the exact same height as Smith (Smith's standing reach was 8'10.5") and Marvin (9'), without Smith's 40" vertical. He could easily wind up as a 3.

I am going to laugh hard if Paxon takes Beasley, trying to outdo us for tweener forwards.

Quote:

Quote:

Beasley and OJ are a lot shorter than I thought they were.

Agreed.

I'm just not impressed with this draft.

I was thinking the same thing, but then again i didn't watch hardly any college ball this year.

I certainly don't feel bad about losing the 15th pick.

Quote:

Quote:

Standing reach is how high a player can reach with his arms straight up over his head. Shelden had a long winspan but short standing reach. Obviously his broad shoulders, long neck and 8head all played a role.

Interesting that Beasley is the exact same height as Smith (Smith's standing reach was 8'10.5") and Marvin (9'), without Smith's 40" vertical. He could easily wind up as a 3.

I am going to laugh hard if Paxon takes Beasley, trying to outdo us for tweener forwards.

Thanks for the explanation.

I always saw Beasley as a three, really, because of his shooting and his ball handling. And now it turns out he's the right size to be a three, instead of being more PF sized.

Just looking through measurables, one guy that keeps jumping out is Eric Gordon. 40" Vert, great timed speed, 15 bench reps as a guard, and a 6'9" wingspan. He had a nice day.

Don't know what to make of Ewing, now. 6'6" without shoes is bad for him, but the 42" vert is good. The 2 reps are just horrible, but the 7'0.25" wingspan is nice. Timed speed isn't that great. He had a decent midrange J last year, but he's not really a good ball handler. There's obviously some physical tools there, but is it anything a coach in the NBA can make use of?

Quote:

I think this will eliminate Beasley as the number 1 pick and from what NBA radio was saying today, OJ Mayo is picking up steam as the #1 or 2 pick.

big mistake! People make a big deal off a combine, this doesn't impacts how a player will translate to the NBA. If Mayo is taken ahead of Beasley, than a GM should be fired. You don't ignore what a player has done during actual game, for a bunch of measurements.

Gordon and Mayo look alot like Dwayne Wade:

O.J. Mayo is 6-3 ¼ without shoes, 6-4 ½ with, with a 6-6 wingspan and 8-3 standing reach. He had the second best vertical leap at 41 inches and ran 11.04 and 3.14.

Eric Gordon is 6-3 ¼ in shoes, with a terrific 6-9 wingspan. He jumped 40 inches, lifted the bar 15 times, and ran 10.81 and 3.01. He plays like a great athlete, and tested out well too.

Wade was 6'4.75'' in shoes, 6'8.5'' wingspan, and a 8'3'' standing reach at 212 lbs. Gordon is stronger then Wade was as Wade only benched 185 lbs 9 times. Wade did niot test for max verticle but had an impressive 35'' verticle when standing still. His max verticle should have hit 40 inches as theirs did.

Quote:

Does anyone think that Sundiata Gaines has a nice career ahead of him? His body and athleticism remind me of Deron Williams... Not to mention, he led the Bulldogs in just about every stat there was... FA signing maybe?

First Williams is 6'3'' and Gaines is 5'11''.

I see him as an undrafted rookie FA that will be brought into camp by some team......much like Damien Wilkens out of UGA in Seattle.

If he sticks around it will be due to his defense. He is definately better then guys like Mike Wilks. However, Wilks has that West gene him that makes him go 110% all the time. that is what Gaines would have to do.

PG can be a funny tranistion. Remember Mateen Cleeves. The All-american PG and team captain off the National Championship Michigan State team ? He never made it.

This is no science, thats for sure. Gaines will get a chance to play. I bet he opts to go to Europe for some guaranteed money if an NBA roster spot does not come his way early. I doubt he toils in the NBDL for peanuts.

Quote:

Measure

Beasley, 6'7 without shoes....

Beasley now looks like a Larry Johnson (with less muscels and explosiveness.) I am 5'8'' 170 pounds amd could bench 185 lbs 20 times.....so he definately needs alot more strength if wants to be a short NBA PF with just an average vertical jump.

I now compare him to LJ, The X Man / Xavier McDaniel , and Anthony Mason as undersized PFs who could play some SF ealy in their careers. He probably less of an athlete then LJ and X-Man.

I truely worry about what position Beasley can defend. Seems to slow for NBA SF not strong or explosive enough to guard PFs (as Smoove can get away with.) He will definately score points but will he give up just as many on the other end.......He could work as an interchangeable foward piece with a guy like Marion in Miami.

Quote:

Quote:

Does anyone think that Sundiata Gaines has a nice career ahead of him? His body and athleticism remind me of Deron Williams... Not to mention, he led the Bulldogs in just about every stat there was... FA signing maybe?

First Williams is 6'3'' and Gaines is 5'11''.

I see him as an undrafted rookie FA that will be brought into camp by some team......much like Damien Wilkens out of UGA in Seattle.

If he sticks around it will be due to his defense. He is definately better then guys like Mike Wilks. However, Wilks has that West gene him that makes him go 110% all the time. that is what Gaines would have to do.

PG can be a funny tranistion. Remember Mateen Cleeves. The All-american PG and team captain off the National Championship Michigan State team ? He never made it.

This is no science, thats for sure. Gaines will get a chance to play. I bet he opts to go to Europe for some guaranteed money if an NBA roster spot does not come his way early. I doubt he toils in the NBDL for peanuts.

Gaines was listed as 6'1 at UGA...