• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The question of all questions...

Diesel

• Moderators

Quote:

I think the 90s Bulls with the triangle offense would have won a few championships in the 80s. I think we tend to overemphasize the Celtics and Lakers... The Pistons and Bulls would have owned them.

I agree that the 90s Bulls would have won a few championships in the 80s but don't agree that the Pistons and Bulls would have owned the 80s Celtics and Lakers.

Look at the pistons:

85-86 Isiah, Dumars, Mahorn, Lambeer, and Vinnie Johnson eliminated in first round by Hawks

86-87 Isiah, Dumars, Mahorn, Lambeer, and Vinnie Johnson plus Rodman, Salley and a still good Adreian Dantley eliminated by the Celtics

87-88 Same eliminated by the Lakers

They had their core together for several eliminations against the Celtics and Lakers in their primes. But when the Celtics and Lakers started slowing down, that is when they passed them for their two championshiops. Kareem and Bird being past their primes was a huge factor in the ascendance of the Pistons, IMO.

I don't think the Pistons beat the Lakers or Celtics in their prime. The Bulls, however, would be right there.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I think the 90s Bulls with the triangle offense would have won a few championships in the 80s. I think we tend to overemphasize the Celtics and Lakers... The Pistons and Bulls would have owned them.

I agree that the 90s Bulls would have won a few championships in the 80s but don't agree that the Pistons and Bulls would have owned the 80s Celtics and Lakers.

Look at the pistons:

85-86 Isiah, Dumars, Mahorn, Lambeer, and Vinnie Johnson eliminated in first round by Hawks

86-87 Isiah, Dumars, Mahorn, Lambeer, and Vinnie Johnson plus Rodman, Salley and a still good Adreian Dantley eliminated by the Celtics

87-88 Same eliminated by the Lakers

They had their core together for several eliminations against the Celtics and Lakers in their primes. But when the Celtics and Lakers started slowing down, that is when they passed them for their two championshiops. Kareem and Bird being past their primes was a huge factor in the ascendance of the Pistons, IMO.

I don't think the Pistons beat the Lakers or Celtics in their prime. The Bulls, however, would be right there.

I agree that the Lakers and Celts had to decline.. But at the same time, Experience made that Piston team very strong. Perhaps stronger than both the Lakers and the Celts. By the time Jordan came along, the Pistons were a matured physical beast. They owned the Bulls. I think it was a passing of the guard that the Bulls had to be better. All I'm saying is that if you took all these teams in their primes, I think the Pistons and Bulls are better than the Lakers and Celts...with the Bulls leading the way.

• Moderators

Quote:

All I'm saying is that if you took all these teams in their primes, I think the Pistons and Bulls are better than the Lakers and Celts...with the Bulls leading the way.

I definitely get where you are coming from but I would probably rank the teams at their peak with the Bulls at the top and the Pistons at the bottom. The Lakers and Celtics in their prime are basically 2A and 2B for me.