• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What Will Make You Happy?

khaos7

Entering into this offseason, with no draft picks, Woodson's contract about to expire, Josh Smith and Childress becoming restricted free agents, and the beginning of the Rick Sund era, what reasonable moves (no Zaza for Kobe nonsense) can be made that will make you happy with the Hawks' progress? What moves would make the 3 wins in round one seem like the gateway to a bigger payoff (a winning team that competes in the East)?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To answer my own question, resign the Joshes, get some vets to fill out the bench (possibly compete for the starting role), get a big to sort Horford, and get a coach in here that has won. No more assistants (Stotts, Woody) or college coaches (Kruger). It has been nearly 10 years (I think) since we've had a guy I label as being a legitimate head coach.

1) Settle the coach situation quickly.

2) Move Marvin for a veteran SG and/or Point.

3) Sign Andersen

4) Keep Zaza state-side for offseason work.

5) match Josh and Josh to contracts.

Getting a Maggette or Redd or Miller works well with JJ moving between sg and sf.

Andersen may be a significant "Big".

Zaza is so young and can benefit getting much better just with training.

I believe we can match regardless of the cap. So make the costly moves first and then match. It would mean, work quickly.

6) Sign Salim

Because I like him and a two year deal is better than a Richardson or Mario. Even though Mario as a 13-15 on the bench guy is cool.

7) Move Acie somewhere to get Javaris in return (three-way).

Acie may be very good one day but Javaris will be a star.

If Sund gets both Joshes resigned without losing any other significant players off the roster (JJ, Marv, Al, Acie, Bibby), I will be EXTREMELY happy.

I am somewhat neutral on the Woody situation for a number of reasons. I can see reasons for briniging him back and reasons for letting him go.

I think there is tremendous value in continuity. I would like to see what these guys can do with another year together and a full year of Bibby running the show. I think that both the coach and the players have matured enough that Woody is no longer coaching a "young team" at least in terms of experience.

In keeping with the continuity theme, I think it is important to consider what the PLAYERS want in this scenario. If the majority of the players want Woody back, I'd offer him a one to two year extension at a number that I wouldn't hesitate to buy out if he is not getting it done by the All Star break. However if the majority are either unsure or want him gone, send him packing. I think it is going to be the former.

I do think Woody has improved to the level that he is at least a C+ coach in this league. There are certainly better coaches out there but there are worse ones too. Woody did a better job last year than a LOT of coaches in this league. Those of you who say name a worse coach in the NBA than Woody are ridiculous. Thomas, Vincent, Boylan, Iavaroni, Krystowiak and Wittman were SIGNIFICANTLY worse and Mitchell, Theus, Carlesimo, O'Brien, Frank and Cheeks were no better. Honestly, I don't think Nellie, Karl, Riley or Dunleavy were any better LAST YEAR either considering what they had to work with.

I am neutral on replacing Woody with guys like Avery Johnson and Flip Saunders. If they are so great, why are guys like Terry Porter, Michael Curry and Vinny Del Negro getting jobs ahead of them? Both of those guys had GREAT talent and yet they couldn't win when it mattered. Both guys also had problems properly utilizing their players which is a chief complaint that many have about Woody.

Bottom line for me - sign the Joshes and I'll be happy.

Quote:

If Sund gets both Joshes resigned without losing any other significant players off the roster (JJ, Marv, Al, Acie, Bibby), I will be EXTREMELY happy.

I am somewhat neutral on the Woody situation for a number of reasons. I can see reasons for briniging him back and reasons for letting him go.

I think there is tremendous value in continuity. I would like to see what these guys can do with another year together and a full year of Bibby running the show. I think that both the coach and the players have matured enough that Woody is no longer coaching a "young team" at least in terms of experience.

In keeping with the continuity theme, I think it is important to consider what the PLAYERS want in this scenario. If the majority of the players want Woody back, I'd offer him a one to two year extension at a number that I wouldn't hesitate to buy out if he is not getting it done by the All Star break. However if the majority are either unsure or want him gone, send him packing. I think it is going to be the former.

I do think Woody has improved to the level that he is at least a C+ coach in this league. There are certainly better coaches out there but there are worse ones too. Woody did a better job last year than a LOT of coaches in this league. Those of you who say name a worse coach in the NBA than Woody are ridiculous. Thomas, Vincent, Boylan, Iavaroni, Krystowiak and Wittman were SIGNIFICANTLY worse and Mitchell, Theus, Carlesimo, O'Brien, Frank and Cheeks were no better. Honestly, I don't think Nellie, Karl, Riley or Dunleavy were any better LAST YEAR either considering what they had to work with.

I am neutral on replacing Woody with guys like Avery Johnson and Flip Saunders. If they are so great, why are guys like Terry Porter, Michael Curry and Vinny Del Negro getting jobs ahead of them? Both of those guys had GREAT talent and yet they couldn't win when it mattered. Both guys also had problems properly utilizing their players which is a chief complaint that many have about Woody.

Bottom line for me - sign the Joshes and I'll be happy.

I believe Cheeks did a better job than Woody.

The talent is close (I'd take ours) but Philly's roster is more balanced ("true PG" and "true Center"). They also had a talented and experienced PG for the entire season to guide their young guys.

I think both Cheeks and Woody did decent, not great jobs with what they had to work with and I would say they were both average.

Excellent post Trace, I certainly agree with your points. The players should be able to give a good indication of whether Woody is the right coach for this team or not and I think that by and large they will endorse giving Woody another year, or two and like you I would offer him something that we can buy out if need be.

The key to this offseason for me is absolutely bringing back Josh Smith and either keeping Chillz or finding a trade that gets us back equal value for him, as well as adding Andersen and some cheap vets to fill the roster.

Quote:

So basically we would have the same roster that won 37 games.

Of course we didn't have Bibby the whole season but it isn't like we were playing great with him. we just had an easier schedule after he got here. We played the Knicks 4 times after the trade.

We would still lack size inside and perimeter shooting. The other teams in the East will have draft picks and will be surely looking to make moves to get better.

Just resigning our guys and making no noteworthy additions just looks like a commitment to mediocrity to me.

Quote:

Quote:

Of course we didn't have Bibby the whole season but it isn't like we were playing great with him. we just had an easier schedule after he got here. We played the Knicks 4 times after the trade.

We would still lack size inside and perimeter shooting. The other teams in the East will have draft picks and will be surely looking to make moves to get better.

Just resigning our guys and making no noteworthy additions just looks like a commitment to mediocrity to me. They're used to it,that's why they're part of the 5 informed peopled that still defend Woody.They're so used to losing that they don't care anymore even if the team shows promise to be better.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just resigning our guys and making no noteworthy additions just looks like a commitment to mediocrity to me. They're used to it,that's why they're part of the 5 informed peopled that still defend Woody.They're so used to losing that they don't care anymore even if the team shows promise to be better.

It's amazing, isn't it?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's amazing, isn't it?

7 yep I had to throw in the informed part because there are a few others that think he should stay but those are just the people that just watched a few playoff games and no other games.while the people that followed the team for 4 full seasons know the TRUTH about that horrible Woody.