• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What Will Make You Happy?

khaos7

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, I think that for the most part we have a core of guys that can win, as long as we add the supplementary pieces to fill out the roster we will be fine. It's going to take patience, but we have seen that when we play to our abilities we are able to compete with anyone in the league. Whether that consistency needs to come from the players, or from coaching, or both, t needs to happen and that will make us contenders.

more patient. In my opinion, when you draft guys like Smoove and Marvin (straight out of high school and one year of college), you HAVE to be ready to commit to their LONG TERM development because what you get from them in the first 3-4 years is not the reason you drafted them in the first place. I understand that there comes a point that you have to make a decision with regard to how much the guys are worth for that 2nd contract and that a good deal of risk can go along with that decision. That said, I think both Smoove and Marvin have shown enough to warrant further investment unless we get an offer for either of them that knocks our socks off.

Quote:

more patient. In my opinion, when you draft guys like Smoove and Marvin (straight out of high school and one year of college), you HAVE to be ready to commit to their LONG TERM development because what you get from them in the first 3-4 years is not the reason you drafted them in the first place. I understand that there comes a point that you have to make a decision with regard to how much the guys are worth for that 2nd contract and that a good deal of risk can go along with that decision. That said, I think both Smoove and Marvin have shown enough to warrant further investment unless we get an offer for either of them that knocks our socks off.

Put yourself in JJ's shoes. How long do you think he is willing to wait on these young guys? He has said over and over that he wants vets in here.

Unless something really miraculous happens Smith and Horford aren't going to get much taller. We need more size, and not just some scrub like Blo Wright.

We also need more 3 pt shooting and Marvin hasn't shown any willingness to take threes. Getting bench guys who can shoot 3s would certainly help but if they are grossly deficient in other areas of the game (Damon Jones) then they won't be much use.

Smith has produced enough to be considered a keeper. Horford has 3 years left on his rookie contract and guys like that don't get traded unless they suck or they are head cases. JJ is obviously our franchise player.

I don't see how anyone else shouldn't be shopped to see what we could get.

But I have seen some proposals floating around for both Marvin and Chillz that I think would be monumental mistakes. You don't give up on a 22 year old Marvin for the likes of Shane Battier or Raja Bell. I have seen proposed trades for Chillz for even less than that.

I think Marvin can extend his range to the 3 point line if the coaching staff asks him to work on that in the off season. I have seen too many players who were not 3 point shooters early in their careers develop into pretty decent ones to think that someone with Marvin's stroke can't do it.

I am certainly not against making a move and in fact, I would like to see it happen IF it brings us back another superstar to play with JJ and it doesn't involve giving up JJ, Horford or Smoove. I have seen a lot of proposals for Michael Redd but if we are going for a guard, I'd rather go for Gilbert Arenas. I know Gil is kooky and he is coming off an injury but I like him in the backcourt with JJ a lot more than moving JJ to SF. Neither Gil nor Redd play D but I think Gil is the more unstoppable player when he's on. With Gil opting out, I wonder what the Wizards would want in return?

and it depends on what their long term goals are. Would an expiring Bibby an expiring Zaza and Marvin for Arenas, Etan Thomas and Stevenson make sense to them? I don't know that I would want to give up Marvin in this deal but that is one way I could see it happening.

Haywood/Zaza

Jamison/Blatche

Marvin/Songalia

Butler/Young

Bibby/Daniels

Depending on what they resign Jamison for, they could have a lot of money to go after FAs in 09/10 if a deal like that went down.

Quote:

and it depends on what their long term goals are. Would an expiring Bibby an expiring Zaza and Marvin for Arenas, Etan Thomas and Stevenson make sense to them? I don't know that I would want to give up Marvin in this deal but that is one way I could see it happening.

Haywood/Zaza

Jamison/Blatche

Marvin/Songalia

Butler/Young

Bibby/Daniels

Depending on what they resign Jamison for, they could have a lot of money to go after FAs in 09/10 if a deal like that went down.

Why would they want expirers if Arenas is already a UFA? They would be taking on salary for 1 year when they don't need to.

Not to mention that Marvin will have a big cap hold next summer.

Stevenson will only make $3.6 million next year which is a good value for his production. I don't see why we would want Thomas. He isn't that good anyway and is coming off heart surgery.

Quote:

Haywood/Zaza

Jamison/Blatche

Marvin/Songalia

Butler/Young

Bibby/Daniels

That would be an awesome deal for the Hawks, but likely not enough for the Wiz since they don't really need Marvin with Caron Butler already on board.

I am well aware of Thomas' heart problems which is why I thought us taking a risk on him and assuming his longterm contract might be attractive to the Wizards. As for us, a healthy Thomas would be a solid defensive presence off the bench at the 5.

The reason they might want an expiring for Arenas is that they may not be enamored with anyone in this years FA pool. Getting expirings who can play like Bibby (and Zaza) while also picking up a young talent like Marv could be attractive to them.

WAS actually played well in Arenas' extended absence. Perhaps they feel that moving him on for something of value is the right way to go.

I agree that Stevenson's contract is good value for his production which is why I proposed we take him in lieu of Songalia. He can also knock down the 3 pretty well so he would help us in that Arena. With Butler able to slide to the 2 and with Nick Young looking like he might be a REALLY good player, they may think he is expendable.

Quote:

Perhaps they feel that moving him on for something of value is the right way to go.

I have a feeling the Wizards definition of value wouldn't include Bibby/Marvin.

In terms of capspace next summer they would be much better off without Marvin (who would just be Butlers backup) since he will have a big cap hold next summer eating up much of their capspace.

Thomas contract would be a problem for us because we are already having luxury tax issues.

I see Marvin as a quality starter at SF for the next 10 years in the WORST CASE senario. Best case, I see him making several All Star games over that same period. If he were a Wizard, I would envision them playing Butler at the 2 and Marvin at the 3. I honestly don't want to see Marvin traded and I hope he remains a Hawk for a long time.

As for Thomas' contract being a problem, it would depend on what Arenas agreed to sign for. If he would agree to a 5 yr/$72M deal starting at $12M a season, I think we would be in better shape cap wise than we are now. Bibby will make $15.2M this year, Marvin will make $5.6M and Zaza will make $4M. That is $24.8M. If Arenas would sign for a deal starting at $12M, Thomas will make $6.9M and Stevenson will make $3.6M. That is $22.5M. Under that scenario, we would have a couple more million dollars to play with than we do now. Even if Arenas' deal started at $13M, our cap situation would be better. In addition, we wouldn't have to worry about resigning Marvin the following year. Again, not saying I would do it but I think it would work.

Quote:

If Arenas would sign for a deal starting at $12M, Thomas will make $6.9M and Stevenson will make $3.6M. That is $22.5M. Under that scenario, we would have a couple more million dollars to play with than we do now.

But only for one year. After that it is trouble.

Butler has already made the All-Star game at the 3. I can't see them moving him to another position to accomodate a worse player.