• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Would Woody Accept...

AnakinJoe

A 1 year deal worth $4.0M-$4.5M (probably 2X what his previous annual salary was the past few years)?

I would've been fired him (to use expressive yet poor English). But there is some logic to having him start the season in November. And it revolves ENTIRELY on the pending court decision.

I know some are convinced that Belkin will lose. And even if he does, the remainder of the owners need to come up with the dough to buy-out Belkin's share (or find another partner to buy-in). In either case, these owners won't likely be very fluid this season and will not likely want to spend too much on a coach until the court ruling is final AND payments are made. (Of course, if Belkin wins, Woody AND Sund may be toast).

So, would we rather sign a cheap option (let's call him Dwayne Casey) for 3 years with an option for a 4th or try to get Woody to at least start the season and wait until next summer when we could potentially afford an Avery Johnson/Flip Sanders/Mike Fratello type coach (and George Karl may very well be available next summer as well)?

Would Woody take a big payday for 1 season and gamble that a 45 win season would earn him a lucrative long-term contract?

First of all these owners (surprisingly) have shown that money doesn't seem to be a problem like people make it out to be. If it was, they flat out would not have traded for bibby's inflated contract, especially knowing that the joshes would need resigning. Even a top coaches salary is relatively small compared to the entire team salary.

Secondly, you are talking about putting out basically top caliber head coaching cash for woody this year, and then paying out top dollars to a real coach next year. So what is gained? Not money. There are plenty of very good established head coaches available that we can try to sign now. Avery, flip, silas, van gundy, fratello, the list goes on. Go try to get those guys.

The only reason to wait is if you think there are candidates that will be made available and will actually sign here that are not available now. (AND if you think this young team can afford one more year of woody stagnation)

I think woody thinks he is a great coach who coached a bunch of no talent ass clowns into pushing the best team in the league to seven games. I don't think he'll take a one year deal. And honestly, he probably shouldn't. He'll find another desperate club sooner or later that will gamble on him with a big contract, and will regret it. He has the luxury of not having had anyone watch us through four years of horrible coaching, and having had the whole league watch us beat boston three times. Plus he still gets to name drop Larry Brown. Hopefully for him they didn't watch the games in boston.

Until we see our payroll increase to amongst the middle third of NBA teams, there is NO reason for me to believe that these owners DO NOT have money issues (at least until the ownership rights are decided). I personally don't accept that just because they say "we will re-sign for Joshes" that it will be done. We all know (I hope) that there is a threshold that they will not cross. A line in the sand where Sund will be advised to walk away and try to negotiate a Harrington-type deal that results in assets and cash relief. Count me among those who will be SHOCKED if both Joshes are here in October.

Why do you think BK was offered a one year extension? To see if he could prove himself worthy with no draft picks? It's all about crossing this chasm created by the ownership divorce. They are trying to get from today to post-February. And that's why a one-time huge payout may work, because it would provide that coaching bridge without the liability of a long-term deal. Woody won't accept a Michael Curry type salary nor for 1 year and I simply don't see them giving him an $8M-$9M contract over 3 years.

Quote:

Again, if they're gonna pay a guy big bucks this year (woody) and pay a guy big bucks next year, how is it any different on one contract versus two? They're paying the same money either way.

It's a different "they" after February. The 3 factions agree to pay Woody $4.5M for one year because in March, the 3 either become 1 or 2. And the 1 or 2 want the freedom to determine who they pay in the future (and how much) without having another year or 2 to pay Woody AND another coach. That's the whole issue... they need a rental to get them from October to after the divorce is settled. If we sign Woody to a 3-year deal and pay him $9M, then someone may be on the hook for $6M over 2 years in addition to having pay their new head coach.

Quote:

It's a different "they" after February. The 3 factions agree to pay Woody $4.5M for one year because in March, the 3 either become 1 or 2. And the 1 or 2 want the freedom to determine who they pay in the future (and how much) without having another year or 2 to pay Woody AND another coach. That's the whole issue....

I don't think you're making any sense. Right now decisions are still being made on a 2 out of 3 basis so the atl/washington spirit side can sign the man of their choice NOW. If they lose (they won't) they will not care that belkin has to pay the rest of the existing coach's contract and pay for his new coach. If anything it would probably make them happy to stick it to him.

So again, there is zero incentive for them (atl/was) to not sign their guy now, especially with so many quality guys available.

Besides, the only way Belkin gets the team is if the judge is nuts enough to think that Belkin gets to buy them out at cost. In this scenario, every penny they're investing is a penny they will not get back. If they thought this was a realistic scenario they would not be allowing moves like the bibby trade. Anyhow, no good judge will think belkin was going along with the intent of the contract when he objected to his own appraisal 1 minute after getting it. The spirit is going to win, the only question is how the teams will be appraised and how much they owe belkin.

And again, even the salary of a top notch coach is pretty minor compared to what they're shelling out overall for the players and staff of both franchises.

He'd definitely take a one year - 4.5 million dollar deal like that, in my opinion. Because if the Hawks made the playoffs again, and they had a decent record or seed going into the playoffs, he would be on the short list for not only the Hawks job in 09 - 10, he'd be on other teams radar as well.

But if I were Woody, and they offered me a deal like that, I would also make them put in some extra kickers to sweeten the pot for him.

- if the Hawks make the playoffs with a .500 or better record, but lose in Round 1: He automatically gets a 2-year - 7.5 million extension. ( which would bring his total 3 year deal to 12 million )

- if the Hawks advance to Round 2: He automatically gets a 2 year - 9.25 million extension ( total deal: 3 years - 13.75 million )

- if the Hawks advance to the Eastern Conference Finals: He automatically gets a 3 year - 14.5 million extension ( total deal: 4 years - 19 million )

- if the Hawks advance to the NBA Finals: He automatically gets a 3 year - 17 million extension. ( total deal: 4 years - 21.5 million )

- if the Hawks win the championship: He gets a 3 year extension that makes him the #3 highest paid coach in the NBA per year.

Any breech of contract, and the Hawks have to pay Woody.