• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Interesting Chris Broussard insights on Hawks

khaos7

Quote:

Reggie(Atlanta Georgia): What do the hawks need to target in a trade or free agengy to get better next season?

Chris Broussard: Hawks first need to finalize their coaching situation. It works in Woodson's favor that they took Boston to 7, but his relationship with most of his players isn't too good. He gets along with Joe Johnson but his relationship is strained with others. With Avery Johnson and Flip Saunders out there, I would seriously consider hiring one of those guys. You bring instant credibility with one of those two guys. That's the first step right now. Then you can better evaluate your personnel. But obviously, you want to bring back Josh Smith and Josh Childress (if the price is right) as well.

Quote:

Jack (Texas): Hi Chris. Who can my spurs get in trades/free agency to make another title run??Mike miller, corry magette, Elton brand, Antawn Gamison, Josh smith, Josh Childress any of those possible. How about PG position ?? Chris Duhon, Kyle Lowry...Thanks.

Chris Broussard: Brand, Josh Smith and A. Jamison would have to be sign-and-trades, and only a member of the Spurs Big Three would get that done, so those three are not possible. Magette, Miller and the PGs you mentioned are available, as will be Kirk Hinrich if Bulls take Derrick Rose. Spurs have a great front office and they'll figure something out, but they need to get more athletic and need some help for Duncan up

Quote:

Ethan (Philly): A Sixers question...what should they do with all that cap space? Go after someone like Josh Smith to keep going young? Would you gamble on Sheed or Brand in a trade? What about Melo? Your thoughts please...

Chris Broussard: I would love to have Brand, if I'm Philly and he opts out. Josh Smith would be a nice fit, but Atlanta's going to match any offer for him. I'd rather have Brand than Melo. I wouldn't want 'Sheed. He makes them better but not close to title material.

First thing that jumps out to me is how even national writers feel that a coaching change is in order for the Hawks. Secondly, as much as much as proposed trades for Josh Smith are bandied about this city, a bunch of fans that have winning teams would love to have this guy. Hmmmm...does the fact that he's 22, correlate with the idea he has a coach that many (national writers included) doubt has the ability to coach up his young talent? I agree with Sekou from AJC, we'd be silly to give up on this guy this early. That's is, unless you find comparable compensation for his talents. I betcha Phoenix wishes it still had JJ.

Bottom line, I think Sund/ASG has to lean towards letting Woodson walk and get a coach in here that can pull the most out of our talent. Josh Smith being the ultimate example, I believe he hasn't scratched the surface of what he can do. However, let give the guy a coach that can maximize his potential.

Quote:

It works in Woodson's favor that they took Boston to 7, but his relationship with most of his players isn't too good. He gets along with Joe Johnson but his relationship is strained with others. .

This goes right along with what Sekou said back in Feb. He said that most of the players wanted Woody gone, when BK tried to fire him.

Quote:

First thing that jumps out to me is how even national writers feel that a coaching change is in order for the Hawks. Secondly, as much as much as proposed trades for Josh Smith are bandied about this city, a bunch of fans that have winning teams would love to have this guy. Hmmmm...does the fact that he's 22, correlate with the idea he has a coach that many (national writers included) doubt has the ability to coach up his young talent? I agree with Sekou from AJC, we'd be silly to give up on this guy
this early.
That's is, unless you find comparable compensation for his talents. I betcha Phoenix wishes it still had JJ.

Bottom line, I think Sund/ASG has to lean towards letting Woodson walk and get a coach in here that can pull the most out of our talent. Josh Smith being the ultimate example, I believe he hasn't scratched the surface of what he can do. However, let give the guy a coach that can maximize his potential.

Here is what I think happens. Rick Sund isn't going to make a rash decision here. He has talked to Mike Woodson, his coaching staff, and is in the process of talking to the players now. At some point, Rick Sund will come forth with the recommendation that Mike Woodson's contract should not be extended. Rick will then go forward with the coaching search, and it will be interesting to see if he goes after an established guy such as Flip Saunders, Mike Fratello, or Doug Collins, or if he goes after someone with less experience like Dwane Casey.

Quote:

Quote:

First thing that jumps out to me is how even national writers feel that a coaching change is in order for the Hawks. Secondly, as much as much as proposed trades for Josh Smith are bandied about this city, a bunch of fans that have winning teams would love to have this guy. Hmmmm...does the fact that he's 22, correlate with the idea he has a coach that many (national writers included) doubt has the ability to coach up his young talent? I agree with Sekou from AJC, we'd be silly to give up on this guy
this early.
That's is, unless you find comparable compensation for his talents. I betcha Phoenix wishes it still had JJ.

Here is what I think happens. Rick Sund isn't going to make a rash decision here. He has talked to Mike Woodson, his coaching staff, and is in the process of talking to the players now. At some point, Rick Sund will come forth with the recommendation that Mike Woodson's contract should not be extended. Rick will then go forward with the coaching search, and it will be interesting to see if he goes after an established guy such as Flip Saunders, Mike Fratello, or Doug Collins, or if he goes after someone with less experience like Dwane Casey.

I hope you're right. I don't think he's done enough to justify coming back. My thing is, how much will Joe Johnson's word weigh in the final analysis? After all, he's the vet (excluding Bibby) on this team. He likes Woody a lot.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

this early.

I hope you're right. I don't think he's done enough to justify coming back. My thing is, how much will Joe Johnson's word weigh in the final analysis? After all, he's the vet (excluding Bibby) on this team. He likes Woody a lot. I don't know if he's just talking or not.I mean if ANYBODY on the roster would like him it would be Joe.He gets the ball all the time,everything is ran through him and he gets to play as much as he can.The only other player to say something was Horford and he's only been here one year and that happened to be the year with a little success.If he was here as long as the other players he probably would have kept his mouth shut on the subject like everyone else.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

this early.

I hope you're right. I don't think he's done enough to justify coming back. My thing is, how much will Joe Johnson's word weigh in the final analysis? After all, he's the vet (excluding Bibby) on this team. He likes Woody a lot. I don't know if he's just talking or not.I mean if ANYBODY on the roster would like him it would be Joe.He gets the ball all the time,everything is ran through him and he gets to play as much as he can.The only other player to say something was Horford and he's only been here one year and that happened to be the year with a little success.If he was here as long as the other players he probably would have kept his mouth shut on the subject like everyone else.

If we really think about it, who has Woody ran plays for, other than JJ? He runs this team like it's JJ and a bunch of garbage players, who are only there to clean up shots.

Quote:

First thing that jumps out to me is how even national writers feel that a coaching change is in order for the Hawks.

The whole world knows we need a better coach. The only people that don't seem to get it are the ASG.

Quote:

If we really think about it, who has Woody ran plays for, other than JJ? He runs this team like it's JJ and a bunch of garbage players, who are only there to clean up shots.

I saw plays run for Al, Zaza and Marvin. I even saw plays run for Bibby. Now who would you have plays run for?.

Quote:

Quote:

I saw plays run for Al, Zaza and Marvin. I even saw plays run for Bibby. Now who would you have plays run for?.

I hate to disagree with you. However, in relative terms, on a night to night basis, Horford, Marvin, and Zaza didn't see many plays called for them. We can agree to disagree. But I didn't see it.

Quote:

Quote:

This goes right along with what Sekou said back in Feb. He said that most of the players wanted Woody gone, when BK tried to fire him.

I do not recall Sekou Ever saying that.

Your right... I went back and looked it up.

It was Hollinger that said that, not Sekou.

Now you are just talking about semantics, is your argument that he NEVER ran plays for anyone other than JJ? Or is it that he ran most of his plays for JJ?

I don't think you can win the argument that he never ran plays for anyone other than JJ.

I'm sure that most of his plans were run through JJ. Whether they were supposed to be for him when he takes a shot, or if he decided that on his own, or there was a breakdown someplace else, or what we have no way of knowing.

• Premium Member

The problem is that we really don't have anyone that can score other than JJ which is why almost every play is ran for him.

But, what I would like to see is the Bibby/Horford pick and roll a LOT more. Even though Bibby has flaws, he has ALWAYS been one of the best pick and roll players in the entire NBA. That's been his bread and butter, and Horford can hit the midrange J and finish inside. I would love to see more of that. Bibby ran a few nice pick and rolls for us this season, but we didn't do it enough.

I don't know how much pick and roll you will see with Horford and Bibby. Horford isn't great, but getting better at putting the ball on the floor and sometimes you need that from that position on the floor, plus he needs to show that he is a good passer, ala Divac and Brad Miller. I can see them running it more next year, but I'm not sure how much just yet. Horford still has a lot of room to grow offensively but he has definitely shown signs of improvement in his first year.

Smoove has excellent vision and might be a good option to run the pick and roll with Bibby. Horford might be better running the pick and pop with Bibby.

• Premium Member

Yeah, that was my main reason for wanting to do it with Horford, because he's a better jumpshooter than Smith, and is bigger so he could set better screens IMO. I'd like to give Smith a shot at it also, but if Horford keeps improving he would be an ideal big for the pick and roll. I KNOW Bibby can run a P&R to perfection, it's always been one of his greatest strengths. Obviously Horford will have to keep improving, though.

It would also allow JJ to play off the ball a little more and he and Marvin could both be on the perimeter for kick outs. Smith could slash on the other side, just seems it would really help us if we did this more.

It's just about time we make our decision on who our head coach will be for next season. I don't think it's doing any good waiting this long while we should be concentrating more on how we will be able to keep both the Joshes. Woodson's not really the practical coach for us in our situation seeing the player we want to keep most is not exactly on the same page as our [ex?] head coach, but truth be told, it doesn't really matter. Even to me, it doesn't matter... just as long as we get this over with.