• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Sund comments on Woody

Admin

The Atlanta Hawks announced Friday that they have re-signed head coach Mike Woodson to a new contract.

While the team did not make terms of the deal public, a person close to the negotiations said Thursday that the Hawks had offered Woodson a two-year extension.

"We are happy to have reached agreement with Mike on a new deal that signals his return to the Hawks bench," Hawks general manager Rick Sund said Friday. "I'm comfortable he will help this team reach its potential and build upon the success they enjoyed this past season."

Woodson led the Hawks to their first playoff berth since 1999, as Atlanta took the eventual Eastern Conference champion Boston Celtics to seven games in the opening round before bowing out.

"I want to thank Rick for this opportunity, and to express my gratitude to the fans for the unbelievable support they've shown during my time here," Woodson said in a statement released by the team. "I've watched these players grow individually and collectively, and am excited to continue coaching them and building on the momentum from last season."

Woodson's record is 106-222. The Hawks' win total has improved in each of his four years. They ended the NBA's longest playoff drought this season, when they were 37-45.