• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Cheap Free Agent Options

coachx

This is a slow time for Hawks news so I'm just trying to find a discussion that has not been beat into the ground over the last few days:

The reality is that the Hawks have little to spend in free agency if or when Josh Smith is resigned.

In a perfect world Chillz will be brought back but what if the Spurs or Mavericks offer him a big deal we cannot match without paying luxury tax ?

There has to be a plan B.

Here are some possible cheap FA wings who are good role players off the bench:

J. Hayse

M. Barnes

M. Pietrus

K. Rush

Q. Ross

Bigs:

K. Brown

Elson

If we could sign one of the above wings and one of the bigs for the same price or less then it would cost to resign Chillz then it has to be strongly considered with our lack of bench depth and lack of space below the luxury tax threshold to fill out the roster.

Here is a up to date list of FAs:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents

Anxious to hear other's thoughts on a possible plan B.

Good call he just opted out of his deal on June 13:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=4030

There is no way Golden State brings back Azubuke (Sp ?), Petrius, & Barnes. Maybe one could be had on the cheap. Barnes is my least favorite of the 3 but he may be the cheapest.

What are the minimum deals these guys could sign ?

Last year Rush only mad $700 K

Ross made only $826 K

Hayse only $1.2 mill

Is their league minimum of around $2 mill or so per year once you have so many years of service in the league ? How many years do you have to play before you qualify for the veteran's minimum.

If Chillz gets an offer for $8 mill per year and we could sign other capable role players for under a $1.5 mill per that year it would have to make any GM go hmmmm.

Quote:

Good call he just opted out of his deal on June 13:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=4030

There is no way Golden State brings back Azubuke (Sp ?), Petrius, & Barnes. Maybe one could be had on the cheap. Barnes is my least favorite of the 3 but he may be the cheapest.

What are the minimum deals these guys could sign ?

Ross made only $826 K

Hayse only $1.2 mill

Is their league minimum of around $2 mill or so per year once you have so many years of service in the league ? How many years do you have to play before you qualify for the veteran's minimum.

If Chillz gets an offer for $8 mill per year and we could sign other capable role players for under a $1.5 mill per that year it would have to make any GM go hmmmm.

Are you speaking of Jarvis Hayes?

I would S&T Marvin for Azubuike yesterday and to morrow.

I wanted Jarvis signed last season, he probably looking for 11 mil for 3 years.

Quote:

Ross made only $826 K

Hayse only $1.2 mill

Are you speaking of Jarvis Hayes?

I would S&T Marvin for Azubuike yesterday and to morrow.

I wanted Jarvis signed last season, he probably looking for 11 mil for 3 years.

Yes. He got a really cheap one year deal since he had been injured. You guess at what he is hoping for sound about right.

Quote:

This is a slow time for Hawks news so I'm just trying to find a discussion that has not been beat into the ground over the last few days:

The reality is that the Hawks have little to spend in free agency if or when Josh Smith is resigned.

In a perfect world Chillz will be brought back but what if the Spurs or Mavericks offer him a big deal we cannot match without paying luxury tax ?

There has to be a plan B.

Here are some possible cheap FA wings who are good role players off the bench:

J. Hayse

M. Barnes

M. Pietrus

K. Rush

Q. Ross

Bigs:

K. Brown

Elson

If we could sign one of the above wings and one of the bigs for the same price or less then it would cost to resign Chillz then it has to be strongly considered with our lack of bench depth and lack of space below the luxury tax threshold to fill out the roster.

Here is a up to date list of FAs:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents

Anxious to hear other's thoughts on a possible plan B.

Roger Mason may be cheap enough for the Hawks to have a shot at signing him as a back-up shooting guard. He also can handle the ball a little as a hedge against injuries to either Bibby or Law next season.

Is there a roster spot or minutes available for a defensive big if they are bringing Anderson over? If they are bringing Anderson over and are intent on bringing in a defensive big then they should jettison Zaza.

Chillz. Both those teams are over the cap and will have only the MLE at best to offer Chillz. No way we let Chillz get away for that without matching.

As for the cheap FAs though, it will be interesting to see who is left out there looking for vet minimum deals. There are always talented guys out there who you think are worth more than the minimum who end up having to settle for the minimum. If any of the guys you list end up looking for minimum deals, I'd take them in a heartbeat. In addition to that list, I'd add:

Michael Finley

Brent Barry

Kurt Thomas

Kwame Brown

Gordan Giricek

Adonal Foyle

Pietrus is the guy that I am really intrigued about. He really didn't get along with Nelly but has some talent. He hit 36% on his 3pters for his career. We certainly could use his shooting; furthermore, the kid knows how to drive to the hole and can finish. From my understanding his biggest problem was just not putting it all together night in and night out. A change of place might make a huge difference for him.

I agree with you about Finley. With him and chillz coming off the bench it would allow Marvin and mostly JJ to get a break during the season. Another option may be James Posey. He would be a very good defender and outside shooter off the bench. I would rather sign Diop or Elson before Kwame. I just don't know if his heart and desire will be good enough to rebound and defend on a night in night out basis.

Acie

Finley

Chillz

Anderson

Diop

Solo

Richardson/M.West

If Acie can mature next season then that crew off the bench has the potential to score and defend. Off course it is depended upon how Woody uses them and instills confidence. Next season he has to let the bench fail more so they can learn to play thru there mistakes. Down the strecth his patience with them will pay off in many different ways.

Do you think Finley or Barry would have any interest in playing for the Hawks ?

Some may presume that if they do not sign with a sure fire contender they would just assume retire ?

I would love Finley for $4 mill per year on a 1 or even 2 year deal barring Chillz goes to another team.

I know you didn't say it but some seem to think it is rational to resign Smith and Chillz while still signing another wing like Finley. I don't see how that is possible w/o paying luxury tax.

I would seriously contemplate signing a good "system" wing that can shoot (Finley,Rush, Hayse, Petrius) along with a big such as Elson or Brown (Diop may cost too much) if we could get "2 for 1" to add depth to the bench.

Only IF: (Chillz contract = FA Wing who can shoot + FA Big)

NO HIGH VOLUME SHOOTER / SCORERS ARE NEEDED. I WANT A SYSTEM PLAYER THAT CAN FILL A ROLE IN A HALF COURT OFFENSE WITHOUT HOLDING ON TO THE BALL. TEAM BASKETBALL IS ESSENTIAL. (After all we see how the AI / Carmelo marriage has worked out with 2 high volume shooters that love to hold the ball allowing the defense to lock down and rotate).

Joshes. That said, at this stage of their careers, I'm not sure Finley or Barry are going to command much more than that. I like Finley and Barry but I don't think they are worth the $4M a year that you talked about anymore.

If it came down to it, I'd rather sign Chillz to a deal starting at $6.5M - $7M a season and trade Zaza for a 2nd rounder at the trade deadline to avoid the luxury tax than to sign Finley for $4M a season.

• Moderators

Quote:

Some may presume that if they do not sign with a sure fire contender they would just assume retire ?

That is what I assume. Vets like that are desired by every team in the league at small prices and they can pick and choose their teams. They will surely go to a team that is a title contender or to a team to which they have a personal connection (near home, etc.)

Quote:

Quote:

From my understanding his biggest problem was just not putting it all together night in and night out.

We hardly need another guy with this problem.

Unfortunatly we will be looking at several players with that problem for the money we're going to have. We simply can't afford a player who DOES put it together for every game.

Quote:

Quote:

That is what I assume. Vets like that are desired by every team in the league at small prices and they can pick and choose their teams. They will surely go to a team that is a title contender or to a team to which they have a personal connection (near home, etc.)

Who wants to finish their career on a team like us????????????????????