• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Smith and Childress aren't only futures @ stake

khaos7

Quote:

Either they are overvalueing what they will make or they don't have any idea about our cap situation or the nature of the Salary Cap.

Some of both may be true. I know that much of what i know about cap related issues has come from reading your posts.

Quote:

Bibby's $15M a season for a starting PG. We should be able to get a quality PG for $10M a season or less from SOMEWHERE.

Obviously no one would sign Bibby for anything close to $15 million. That said, we saw the advantages of having a competent point guard on the team, and there are not a ton of those guys that become available.

You are all forgetting that the LUXURY TAX WILL BE AROUND 80 MILLION DOLLARS OR MORE when we have to sign or match an offer for Al Horford in 2012. The cap will be about 69 or 70 million. That leaves plenty of time to decide who stays or who goes. It also leaves plenty of room to maneuver and a good chance we can keep Marv, Smove, Chills, Horford and JJ if we choose to. Also dont forget that even if we give Smmove, Chills and Marv long term deals to keep them it doesnt mean they are bound and chained here for life. They can be traded in a few years, they all will still be in their prime in 2010, 11 or 12.

Quote:

Quote:

Resigning Marvin will not be an issue if we desire to keep him. Actually, I think our cap situation will be BETTER next year with both Bibby and Zaza expiring.

In addition, if we resign Marvin next year, unless he gets a LOT better, his starting salary likely won't be any more than his qualifying offer next year ($7.35M). If his starting salary IS more than that, it means he had a great season, that he has turned the corner as a player and we will want to keep him.

I think the one potential issue regarding cap space for the Hawks going forward is if Law does not step up and show he is capable of leading the team as the starting point guard after next season. In that scenario, the Hawks need to spend money on getting a starting point guard. That's nothing to worry about.Law will be fine.