• Raised $440 of $700 target

Joe Johnson trade idea

pound4pound

Trade ID #4657736 on Real GM

Joe Johnson to Portland

Brandon Roy

Joel Prizbilla

Martel Webster to Atlanta

This trade works on so many different levels for so many different reasons. First - I know that Joe is by far and away the best player we have but if we can upgrade our team we should consider all the options available. Portland won't want to get rid of Roy - but they need some leadership in a STACKED western conference. Prizbella will be obsolete with Oden and Alderidge next year.

We on the other hand get a clone of Joe - except with a better ability to get to the cup. Joe brings veteran leadership and game closing skills that Roy doesn't have yet. We don't need that veteran leadership as much with Bibby on the floor but we do need Roy's playmaking skills. Portland won't need as much playmaking with those trees in the middle but will need a floor leader to close out games.

Hey - we should have taken Roy over Shelden but what is done is done. Priz will be the height we need on nights when we play the 7 footers. Martel will bring the shooting off the bench we need RIGHT now.

I doubt Portland would do that trade as Roy provides similar product for them on a rookie contract. Joe is the better player right now, for sure, but they are a younger team then the Hawks so it makes sense for them to grow the core of Roy, Aldridge and Oden together.

I dont think I would do this trade. I like JJ and he is still young and showed he could play big time playoff basketball. However it would save the Hawks some money now and in the future. Roy is on his rookie deal prolly like 3 or 4 mill a year and JJ makes about 12. They both will be up for huge raises in a few years though. I thinks Roys deal will be structured under the CBA for the 1st contract after his rookie contract. JJ howver is looking at an easy 20 mill a season especially if he has a few more playoff performances like this season. Alot of you say JJ is overpaid now which is a STUPID COMMENT since he is not even paid in the leagues top 30 players. Trust me when he signs his next deal he will be paid in the top 10.

Quote:

I bet that they would - the rest of the guys are filler for CBA. They will find out the hard way that the NBA is a man's leauge and requires veteran leadership - something that Joe will give them.

lol that's a joke.They wouldn't take Joe and a 1st for Roy.They wouldn't take Joe and Marvin for Roy.U don't make a poinless trade for veteran leadership.He's not even much of a leader.They could get plenty other vets for leadership.Brandon Roy prolly has more value around the league than Joe does.

Bad idea!! Why cant we just leave things the way they are, and build around th players that we already have. We just need a few minor adjustments. Why fix something that isnt broken.`Why would we get rid of our proven best player. This is why the Hawks have been so bad in the past, because we dont keep good players. (Example: Rasheed Wallace, Pau Gasol, Boris Diaw, Jason Terry)

Quote:

Trust me when he signs his next deal he will be paid in the top 10.

At 29 I seriously doubt he would have one of the 10 highest salaries, making max money, unless the Hawks are straight out of he NBA Finals or Eastern Conference Finals. JJ would turn 30 in his 1st season on that deal. He would have 2 of the 5 years in his prime with the last 3 years his game and body would be deteriorating but salary would be increasing unless its front loaded like his current deal.

If another teams offers him $20 mill at that age then they can have him. JJ at 33 and 34 while being a top 10 paid player is like the old Allan Houston deal which was the beginning of the Knicks' cap trouble or the recent "mistake" the Nets are now regretting with extending Vince Carter in the season that he turned 31.

SGs just don't take kindly to age like a Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett do.

Quote:

Bad idea!! Why cant we just leave things the way they are, and build around th players that we already have. We just need a few minor adjustments. Why fix something that isnt broken.`Why would we get rid of our proven best player. This is why the Hawks have been so bad in the past, because we dont keep good players. (Example: Rasheed Wallace, Pau Gasol, Boris Diaw, Jason Terry)

um last time I checked we aren't championship contenders.I hate hearing that if it aint broke don't fix it crap.Yes the trade is dumb and we aren't trading Joe but we aren't close to contending for anything.

I seem to remember a game last year vs. portland where roy made jj look pretty bad. He was taking him off the dribble at will and led Portland back to win a game in the 4th....if I'm not mistaken that's the way I remember it. Ergo, this trade would be a complete steal for us if it went down.

Quote:

I seem to remember a game last year vs. portland where roy made jj look pretty bad. He was taking him off the dribble at will and led Portland back to win a game in the 4th....if I'm not mistaken that's the way I remember it. Ergo, this trade would be a complete steal for us if it went down.

With the 30 pound weight difference he made JJ look like a true SF and not a SG.

They actually played pretty even but Roy is much quicker as he should be with the size and strength difference.

In cruch time JJ dribbled the ball of his foot that resulted in a half court violation which basically cost us the game.

The funny thing is that 2 months later the exact thing happen to Kobe with JJ guarding him that cost the Lakers the game vs. us.

Every dog has his day.

Quote:

See, this is the type of ish I'm talking about.

And Eddie, this isn't an attack on you personally, but it's an example of what a lot of people on this board do when it concerns this team. Every haflway good thing is erased from your memory banks, while every negative thing is replayed over and over and over, like a reoccuring nightmare.

For example.

You distinctly remember JJ getting torched by Roy at the end of the Portland game, right? Roy was indeed spectacular in that game.

But do you, or anyone else for that matter, remember the Portland game a week earlier in ATL? I bet you can recall Travis Outlaw going off on us.

But can you also recall JJ dropping damn near 40 points on their azzes, along with 7 or 8 assists? Roy, on that night, was the one being abused by JJ. I guess everyone forgot about all of that.

It's just another example of how this fan base is almost subconsciously spewing out anything negative about this team. It's a damn shame too.

• Moderators

I am not interested in trading JJ for anything but a young veteran star who is clearly better. The guy committed to Atlanta, is our best player and has enough time left in his career that he should still be in his prime when guys like Josh Smith get there. Roy is good but I don't think he would be as effective in Atlanta as JJ.

This wouldn't be the worst trade in the world but I don't want to trade JJ unless I am clearly coming out better and I don't think that is the case with Roy.

LOLOLOLOL somethings really wrong with you, first you you dont want to upgrade the pg position because you think acie is the next coming of "magic" an now you want to talk this ish. I would never trade joe for brandon roy. Yes he had his shining moment when we were playing them, but just like him joe hand an even better performance earlier in the season. Brandon roy has far more options and a more willing coach back in portland, while jj has people who should not shoot threes shoot threes and people who should shoot threes not shoot them. You are underestimating joe if you think joe and a first wouldnt get roy....when it all comes down roy will probably end up like joe.

• Premium Member

I don't care weather POR would do it or not. I don't know why we would do it.

JJ provides more than just stats.

He's a leader for this team.

With Roy as a leader and a much better frontcourt/backcourt than our, PTL managed to be 9th in the draft.

It's not worth it.

• Premium Member

Brandon Roy is a nice talent and all , but like Paul, we screwed that up and it's over with. I don't see how us trading JJ for him makes us any better. Now if he and JJ played side by side as was proposed at the time of the draft, now that's a totally different situation. It doesn't matter how we would've justified bringing in another swingman, as long as we brought him in. He and JJ could have been a killer SF/SG combo with Roy playing spot duty at PG. But we drafted Shelden and killed any hopes of that. We just have to "own" this mistake like the Paul fiasco and move on. Besides, I really think that we'll be pleasantly surprised at this team's play next season as-is. I know that we might not be "contenders" but I hope for a trip to the second round or maybe even the Conference Finals next season. Face it, the East is not going to be that much improved from last season.

That's fair criticism and I agree with you. It's just that game was one I remember us giving away and those games we lose down the stretch where we literally give it away always stick with me. It's like the Utah game a couple of seasons ago where we lost the 21 point 4th quarter lead. I'll always remember that game for the negative feelings of it. It's just that game and games like it though. The portland game falls into that category for me so I can't say well JJ scored 40 and that's great. We lost and it was mainly due to Roy playing clutch in the 4th when it counted while JJ got burned.