• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should the Hawks try what the Celtic did?

dakast

Keep Joe Johnson and give the rest of the team the boot so they can bring in two more hungry all stars and a bunch of role players that no one else thinks are any good.

I know it will not happen, but if it did.........who would you like to see come to Atlanta?

No I don't think we should do that. They were the worst team in the east last year and were definitely looking like they were years away from being contenders whereas Atlanta is finally on the verge of being a real contender. We need to keep the core together and add those role players and see where that gets us.

Come on guys, have a little fun with it.........we know it will not happen, but if it did, what veterans (who do not have championship rings) would you like to see here?

How bout' bringing in Allen Iverson and Tracy McGrady to Atlanta to play with Joe Johnson.

PG - Allen Iverson/???

SG - Tracy McGrady/???

SF - Joe Johnson/???

PF - ???/???

C - ???/???

How did I know there would be a thread like this.

Atlanta has built a team the right way and it will pay off in the long run if we keep the team together. Instead of a 1-3 year run we can be relevant well into the next decade.

Not to mention trading for 2 future HOFers in one off-season isn't something nearly that easy.

it depends on what you mean by what the "celtics did".

This season was a large part luck with some savvy management on the background. As a celtics fan, I was originally against the Allen trade. One aging Allen was not the missing piece of the puzzle for a very young celtics team that was built in many ways like the hawks are now. It didnt make sense to me at the time, until it became apparent that that was a move to draw KG in. And the KG trade was pure, 100% luck. If it wasn't for dallas and phoenix making the huuuge mistakes of getting picky when dealing with the wolves, the celtics would never get him. So you can't really force that, as there is no comparable superstar on the move now.

What the Hawks can and should emulate is the careful creation of a good coaching staff. Tom Thibodeau and the other new assistant coach (whose name escapes me right now) were really, really key. It seems the hawks are going with Woodson for now. Trying to get someone like d*ck harter could really do wonders for this team.

The guys I would like to see added, but we have no chance of:

Billups

Redd

Amare

Lineup:

Billups

Redd

JJ

Horford

Amare

Bench:

Pietrus

MW

Foster

Law

D. Andersen (reserve PF/C that can play defense and score a little)

Random defensive wing player

In reality, if we can get Redd or Billups I would be very happy with the offseason (while ignoring the re-hiring of Woodson Kick_Can_emoticon.gif )

Quote:

The guys I would like to see added, but we have no chance of:

Billups

Redd

Amare

Lineup:

Billups

Redd

JJ

Horford

Amare

Bench:

Pietrus

MW

Foster

Law

D. Andersen (reserve PF/C that can play defense and score a little)

Random defensive wing player

In reality, if we can get Redd or Billups I would be very happy with the offseason (while ignoring the re-hiring of Woodson
Kick_Can_emoticon.gif
)

I actually think we could get Redd.I would only trade Bibby and Marvin though.I'm fine with Acie starting instead of trading for a starting vet.I believe he's every bit as good as Rondo, if not better.I'd like if we signed Pietrus and another vet big.I think that would be all we need for now besides a backup for Acie at PG.

We have our different opinions on Acie and next season. IMO, Acie needs one more year off the bench to show: 1) he's healthy and can handle the 82 game NBA schedule; 2) that he can handle the mental aspects.

IMO, Acie is much closer to 2 than 1. I have a hard time putting the Hawks in the hands of Acie this season due to his injury history and inconsistant play last year. In the long run, IMO, Acie will have a very solid career. But, for the upcoming season the Hawks still need a competant vet running team, being Bibby or someone else. Acie just needs one more season to get up to NBA speed.

The Redd trade that has bounced around the board most of the Spring and early Summer would be great if it was pulled off.

Now that was a fataly flawed roster. But I think you are right.

That Hawks team was simply painful to watch. A better coach may have helped, but still, the only real defensive minded player was Ratliff and he was no Tree Rollins or Moses Malone to make up for the ole defense that Robinson, SAR, and JT played.

Quote:

Come on guys, have a little fun with it.........we know it will not happen, but if it did, what veterans (who do not have championship rings) would you like to see here?

OK, since we're "having fun", then give me Allen Iversen and Jermaine O'Neil to add to a starting line-up of Marvin and Horford. JON would only need to play around 28 min/game during the regular season to reduce wear and tear on his fragile body. And JJ and AI could both average around 24 points and 6 assists each.

Quote:

i posted this trade a month ago..

Bibby, Marvin, Law

for

Redd , Mo Williams , Sessons

Mo/ Sessons

Redd / Free Agent vet

JJ / Childress

Smith / Free agent vet

Horford/ Zaza

Horrible trade.Milwaukee doesn't even want Mo.They rather him be traded or become the 6th man.He's a scoring guard more than a PG.Take out Law and MO and that's a fine trade. Milwaukee may be high on Sessions also after his little fling at the end of the season though.

Quote:

We have our different opinions on Acie and next season. IMO, Acie needs one more year off the bench to show: 1) he's healthy and can handle the 82 game NBA schedule; 2) that he can handle the mental aspects.

IMO, Acie is much closer to 2 than 1. I have a hard time putting the Hawks in the hands of Acie this season due to his injury history and inconsistant play last year. In the long run, IMO, Acie will have a very solid career. But, for the upcoming season the Hawks still need a competant vet running team, being Bibby or someone else. Acie just needs one more season to get up to NBA speed.

The Redd trade that has bounced around the board most of the Spring and early Summer would be great if it was pulled off.

Yeah alot of people view Acie different. I honestly have no doubts seeing as how he has a year under his belt. Hawks fans may underestimate the jump of sophmore players because we usually draft the wrong guy. Rondo surprised people,Farmar spent time in the d league his rookie year. Nobody thought Rudy Gay would be much. When those sophmores hit the court in the summerleague after one NBA season they look totally different. I recently watched guys like Rondo,Deron and Gay make that jump after their rookie years and Acie is no downgrade in talent.He's also a very smart player which is why I have no doubts with the mental aspects,unless Woody neglects him again,which I kinda doubt since he's no longer a 1st year player.One season makes a HUGE difference. Alot of people disagree and they have good reason to,but that's my view on Acie and I expect the same jump from Horford even though he's already a beast. I expect him to be more polished offensively with some more moves and strength down low. If Mario could atleast deveop a mid range jumper,look out.

Quote:

Bibby, Marvin, Law

for

Mo/ Sessons

Redd / Free Agent vet

JJ / Childress

Smith / Free agent vet

Horford/ Zaza

Looks good to me.

I would not mind rolling the dice on Law and letting them keep Mo.... though we would have to add some salary to make it work.

Law could thrive if he played beside a SG and SF with 3 point ability (Redd / JJ). With the way Law can drive and JJ and Redd could spread the floor it would pretty to watch. I like JJ as a SF much more then as a SG any way. He wouldd be a grat "point foward." A team with 3 ball handlers is alwayse dangerous and Marvin will never be a good ball handler.

Law will be a much more complete PG guard then Rondo but will probably need 2 three point shooter next to him to be succesfull (like Rondo has with Allen and Pierce).

Allen / Pierce = Redd / JJ ....... We would just be much younger.

Quote:

Quote:

Bibby, Marvin, Law

for

Mo/ Sessons

Redd / Free Agent vet

JJ / Childress

Smith / Free agent vet

Horford/ Zaza

Looks good to me.

I would not mind rolling the dice on Law and letting them keep Mo though we would have to add some salary to make it work.

Law could thrive if he played beside a SG and SF with 3 point ability (Redd / JJ). With the way Law can drive and JJ and Redd could spread the floor it would pretty to watch.

Law will be a much more complete PG guard then Rondo but will probably need 2 three point shooter next to him to be succesfull (like Rondo has with Allen and Pierce).

Allen / Pierce = Redd / JJ / We would just be much younger. I agree,except teams can't just leave Law alone,like they do Rondo because he can make the shot.I think Law,Redd and Joe would be deadly.