• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Poss. Chillz replacements and a look at the cap.

Kimsey

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Inquiry...if somebody makes a play at Josh Smith, and we match, does he HAVE to take that match?

I just noticed your question. Yes Smith would be a Hawk if the Hawks matched. Smith doesn't have a choice. Only unrestricted FAs have a choice.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

With the projected salary cap at $70.4 mill that would give us $18.7 mill to fill out 4 roster slots.

$10.0 mill for Smoove (or $10.5 mill)

$7.0 mill for Chillz (or $6.5 mill )

$400 K to resign West or Richardson

$1.3 mill for a vet

(of course these figures can be tweaked as long as the total does not exceed $18.7 mill)

or

$10 mill for Smoove

$5 mill for David Anderson

leaving $3.7 mill to target 2 veterans along the lines of K. Rush or M. Barnes (some one will get under paid, a guy like Barnes could do well in our up tempo game off the bench.) Get Rush, Barnes, or Azubuki for $3.3 mill (they will get offers from true contenders at $2 mill so we will have to over pay a tad.)

$400 K to resign West for one year.

We could give away ZaZa's $4 mill for a 2nd round pick if that is what it takes to resign Chillz, Smoove and go after David Anderson. (This would give us $22.7 to work with)

$10 mill for Smoove

$ 7 mill for Chillz

$5 mill for David Anderson

$700 K for 2nd round pick

Then if Speedy does not play maybe his insurance payment will entice the ASG to go over the cap a wee-bit since the insurance check would compensate for a small luxury tax bill.

In a PERFECT WORLD insurance will pay 80% of Speedy's salary ($5.7 mill X .8) = $4.56 mill. So in essence the ASG could go $2.28 mill over the cap and come out even.

$4.56 insurance check = $2.28 mill over luxury tax + the $2.28 incurred tax

that would give us $20.98 mill to work with:

Smith = $10 mill

Chillz = $6 mill

Anderson = $5 mill

West = $400 K

(Here (after Speedy insurance check is factored in) we would essentially pay $420 K over the cap so it would cost an extra $840 K over the "budget."

Hmmmm.

Good luck Sund !

I see Josh Smith getting more than $10 million (11-12) starting and as I said at the time of the Bibby trade I do not see us resigning Childress. There are teams that can pull the same thing we did with JJ. Front load a contract for Josh Smith.

I like the option of trading ZaZa, but I would either like to trade him with Bibby and/or MW. Having said that, if a player like Bill Walker falls into the 2nd rd because of a potential reinjury to his knee, then I can see a trade of ZaZa for a 2nd. Otherwise a late 1st is at least his worth IMO. Players I like in the late 1st Serge Ibaka, Brandon Rush, Javale McGee.

I agree, Josh could get offers in the $11-$12 range but there are not that many team with the cap flexibility. Philly could do it if the renounce their rights to Iggy but I doubt that happens. (If we get him for $10 mill it will be a STEAL for us.)

Ya, the more we have to pay Smith the less that will be left over for Chillz and the higher the chance he will not come back. However, some one will likely have to offer Chillz something over the MLE or we will match as long as Smith does not get a R. Lewis like offer which is EXTREMELY unlikely due to the elite 09-10 draft class right around the corner..

With Wade, Lebron, Bosh, and company being FA in 09-10 I don't think many teams will sacrifice their shot at Wade or Lebron just so they can over pay for Smoove. That is just my hope any way.

Coach I think those dudes have player options beginning alittle over two years from now starting July 2010. I believe they would actually be un-restricted free agents (if they choose) in the 2010-2011 season and not nearly a year from now. Even with JJ newly signed, we still could throw the max out at any of those players. Speedy would finally be off the books too.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Inquiry...if somebody makes a play at Josh Smith, and we match, does he HAVE to take that match?

I just noticed your question. Yes Smith would be a Hawk if the Hawks matched. Smith doesn't have a choice. Only unrestricted FAs have a choice.

I think the way it works is that he has to sign a contract with another team and then we have something like a 10 day period to match or not match. Once he signs that contract, he is committed to playing for that team or Atlanta - if they match.

If another team approaches him and makes an informal offer (like we did with JJ), there is no obligation on Josh Smith to sign the deal and no opportunity to match.

I am just pointing out that teams can go after him but it is only when he signs a deal that we get the leverage to match. In the interim, of course, other teams only have the leverage we had with the JJ deal.

I personally think that the luxury tax issue isn't nearly the big deal to the Hawks/ASG, as people are making it out to be. When they made the decision to go get Bibby, that was a clear indication to me that the might be willing to go into luxury tax land for at least one year. And even if we do go into that zone, you're not talking about paying much of that tax at all.

Here's something to think about.

I don't know what Woody's extension looks like, but i wouldn't guess he got a major increase in salary. So what if the ASG basically says to Sund that he has 75 - 77 million to work with next season, and to not go over that mark. This includes salaries for players, coaches, and the amount figured in to pay any luxury tax.

I agree that the more we have to pay Smith, the more re-signing Chill may become an issue. At the most, Chill gets a 5 year - 35 million dollar deal that starts him out closer to 6 million than it does to 7 million. His agent or Sund may negotiate a shorter term deal, and may even give Chill a player option in the last year of the deal.

And if we're going to be paying Andersen 5 million per, he damn well better be a player. I personally can't see the Hawks paying that much for him. I expect a Zaza-like deal for him that maybe only extends for 3 years. No way I'm paying him 5+ million, but losing Chill. I would be pizzed if that happened.

Whatever the case, i think Sund and the ASG already know what they want to spend and who they want to spend it on. And because you're potentially looking at around 20+ million in salary dropping off the books next year, the luxury tax issue for this year may not be a big deal at all.

I agree North, people may still have that cautious mind set from the Time Warner days trying to pepper around the cap.

Bibby, Solo, and ZaZa come of the books for 20 million beginning 7-1-09.

Joe and Speedy come of the books for 20+ million beginning 7-1-10.

So Sund has great potential to make power moves and I'm very excited for the next couple of years.

The only problem with your theory is that Gearon said they would spend to the threshold. So much for the idea of not going into the luxury tax land...

If the situation arises where the Hawks have a total player salary that is 1 million over the threshold, you're talkng about $500K in luxury tax money, right? If that's the case, I wouldn't think the ASG would flat out refuse to retain Chill over a luxury tax number like that. I would hope not at least.

Quote:

If the situation arises where the
Hawks have a total player salary that is 1 million over the threshold, you're talkng about $500K in luxury tax money, right?
If that's the case, I wouldn't think the ASG would flat out refuse to retain Chill over a luxury tax number like that. I would hope not at least.

No the luxury tax is dollar for dollar.

Also keep in mind that teams under the luxury tax receive payments from the teams that are over it.

Gearon sounded pretty firm in his statement that the would go up to the tax limit but not exceed it. The theory that if Claxton's salary is picked up by insurence is the only viable out that I can see the ASG willing to do until the ownership issue is resolved.

It is not just having to pay the tax, it is also the fact that they won't get a share of the revenue collected by the league from the teams who DO pay the luxury tax. If we were one of the higher revenue producing teams then I could see paying the tax but that is not the case and it likely won't be until we put together a few winning seasons in a row.