• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Final Piece?

Zone034life

link

The Final(s) Piece

By: Jon Mladic Last Updated: 6/17/08 10:27 PM ET | 2096 times read

More than any other sport, the addition or subtraction of one NBA player can make or break a team's season. In the Western Conference, Portland had to cope without Greg Oden while Clipper fans were disheartened by the loss of Elton Brand. In the East, the Wizards lost Gilbert Arenas (again) and the Heat fell to the bottom of the standings after going without Dwyane Wade. Just ask Celtics fans how much a difference one addition can make. Here are 5 teams one player away from an appearance in the 2009 NBA Finals:

Atlanta Hawks. Atlanta has a young, talented and athletic team. Adding Mike Bibby has helped them, and an offseason spent making adjustments to his new teammates will make him even more effective. Josh Smith can step up and become an effective power forward, but they still lack a dominant small forward. Marvin Williams is probably a few steps away from being that player, and he might be gone by the time next season starts. Fans should start dreaming of the possibilities if the Hawks added a talent at the position the caliber of Antawn Jamison.

Cleveland Cavaliers. It's never a stretch to think LeBron James can take his team to the NBA Finals in any given season. But as a whole, the Cavs need another scorer, one addition they weren't able to find in their big swap with Chicago during the season. Rumors have already started about Cleveland adding Michael Redd, and the idea of a big-time scoring shooting guard makes sense – opponents would hate the idea of having to worry about a second big scorer.

Orlando Magic. All signs in Orlando point to an entire organization that is genuinely upset at how they ended the season. They expect more next year, and some roster tweaking could get them the result (a chance at the title) they want. Hedo Turkoglu showed how skilled he is, but he really belongs at shooting guard. If the Magic added a tough power forward, they would be in great shape to make a run. Luckily, that player might already live in the sunshine state. Shawn Marion, just down the rode in Miami, could be out of Miami if the Heat can't find a way to pass on Michael Beasley.

Portland Trail Blazers. Portland won't need much to put them over the top. Greg Oden will be an inside force (at least defensively), and Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldrige will be even better given another year of growth. The biggest question mark for Portland is at point guard. A trade for a floor general like Kirk Hinrich could solve this issue and be the final piece of the puzzle for the Blazers.

San Antonio Spurs. Everyone knows San Antonio will be in contention when the playoffs come around. One addition, though, could put them a step above the rest of their tough Western Conference competition. The Spurs are strong at every position but power forward, where Bruce Bowen is aging. How about a Spurs team with Mickael Pietrus? Their current roster means they can afford to be pretty free-spending this summer, and if they take the opportunity to sign him, San Antonio could be back in the finals next summer.

Quote:

link

The Final(s) Piece

By: Jon Mladic Last Updated: 6/17/08 10:27 PM ET | 2096 times read

More than any other sport, the addition or subtraction of one NBA player can make or break a team's season. In the Western Conference, Portland had to cope without Greg Oden while Clipper fans were disheartened by the loss of Elton Brand. In the East, the Wizards lost Gilbert Arenas (again) and the Heat fell to the bottom of the standings after going without Dwyane Wade. Just ask Celtics fans how much a difference one addition can make. Here are 5 teams one player away from an appearance in the 2009 NBA Finals:

Atlanta Hawks. Atlanta has a young, talented and athletic team. Adding Mike Bibby has helped them, and an offseason spent making adjustments to his new teammates will make him even more effective. Josh Smith can step up and become an effective power forward, but they still lack a dominant small forward. Marvin Williams is probably a few steps away from being that player, and he might be gone by the time next season starts. Fans should start dreaming of the possibilities if the Hawks added a talent at the position the caliber of Antawn Jamison.

Cleveland Cavaliers. It's never a stretch to think LeBron James can take his team to the NBA Finals in any given season. But as a whole, the Cavs need another scorer, one addition they weren't able to find in their big swap with Chicago during the season. Rumors have already started about Cleveland adding Michael Redd, and the idea of a big-time scoring shooting guard makes sense – opponents would hate the idea of having to worry about a second big scorer.

Orlando Magic. All signs in Orlando point to an entire organization that is genuinely upset at how they ended the season. They expect more next year, and some roster tweaking could get them the result (a chance at the title) they want. Hedo Turkoglu showed how skilled he is, but he really belongs at shooting guard. If the Magic added a tough power forward, they would be in great shape to make a run. Luckily, that player might already live in the sunshine state. Shawn Marion, just down the rode in Miami, could be out of Miami if the Heat can't find a way to pass on Michael Beasley.

Portland Trail Blazers. Portland won't need much to put them over the top. Greg Oden will be an inside force (at least defensively), and Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldrige will be even better given another year of growth. The biggest question mark for Portland is at point guard. A trade for a floor general like Kirk Hinrich could solve this issue and be the final piece of the puzzle for the Blazers.

San Antonio Spurs. Everyone knows San Antonio will be in contention when the playoffs come around. One addition, though, could put them a step above the rest of their tough Western Conference competition. The Spurs are strong at every position but power forward, where Bruce Bowen is aging. How about a Spurs team with Mickael Pietrus? Their current roster means they can afford to be pretty free-spending this summer, and if they take the opportunity to sign him, San Antonio could be back in the finals next summer.

It's fascinating that this guy thinks we're only one player (an Antawn Jamison even, not someone ridiculously unobtainable and otherworldly good like a Kobe or KG or Lebron) away from being good enough to make an NBA Finals appearance. I'm not sure I'd particularly agree with that assessment, but it's nice to see us getting some positive buzz like that.

If Antawn Jamison plays like he did this season I'd be interested in putting him next to Josh Smith as our 3-pt shooting forward. I think Jamison is more a 4 than a wing BUT since he can get hot from outside he might be able to work next to Josh.

If Woodson can be confident he could somewhat tame Artest, he is my #1 player that I'd want to trade for that we actually have a chance to get without throwing away a bunch of good pieces.

Jamison's defense is just too much of a negative for me. Not to mention, we'd have to likely present a deal north of 10 mil. In order to get him and WAS to agree to a deal.

As we've said many times, a SF with Artest's defense and range would be ideal for our team.

I don't see how Jamison fits with Smith. You get two big forwards playing together you are opening yourself up to a slasher killing you all night. We already have enough problems with drive n dish points, I can't see weakening the perimeter defense more by adding Jamison.

We are better off adding a starting SG and moving JJ to SF.

Although people have a distorted view that Ron Artest is still crazy and is a "teamkiller", I would trade for Ron Artest in a heartbeat. He gives us a second scoring option, a great defender, and a solid shooter. He's a player than can guard some of the stronger PFs and in addition to having J. Smith, we'd have one of the best defensive front courts in the nation.

Quote:

I agree. But are you willing to trade Marvin or chillz to make room for him?

That's a good question. I'd certainly trade only one of them for Artest, but I'm a little iffy if we trade both. But I'll say yes. We might or might not let Chillz walk so we might as well get our value for him and trade him for Artest. It's a matter of finding a good, quality sixth man that will bring us down. After the trade, we'll have to bring in quality back ups that have a cheap price tag if possible.

Quote:

if the kings traded artest to the hawks for marvin and chillz, don't you know they would have like 6 of last years hawks on their team. and not even one of the three best ones. people would wonder if we have the dirty pics of the king gm

Well, you could argue that the Hawks wouldn't have the best Sacramento player either.

I have to wonder whether Sacramento would want Chillz and/or Marvin considering they already have Martin, Garcia and Salmon to man the wings.

Quote:

That would make us so stout.

Great defender, very good scorer, great 3 point shooter.

I'd love to have him....I thought him and Bibby didn't get along very well, though?

we don't need Bibby,trade him too.

Quote:

Quote:

if the kings traded artest to the hawks for marvin and chillz, don't you know they would have like 6 of last years hawks on their team. and not even one of the three best ones. people would wonder if we have the dirty pics of the king gm

Well, you could argue that the Hawks wouldn't have the best Sacramento player either.

I have to wonder whether Sacramento would want Chillz and/or Marvin considering they already have Martin, Garcia and Salmon to man the wings.

yeah, but at least we got one of their top 3. they got our whole bench pretty much