• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Howard Eskin reports Sixers will frontload Smoove

NJHAWK

He said on WIP radio today that they are going to get real creative to make it as hard as possible to resign Smoove and will frontload the 1st year big time. Does anyone know if we match a deal that is frontloaded how that would hit us on the luxury tax. Is the luxury tax # of each player taken from the average of their deal or the actual salary they get that year?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

SMoove doesn't have to sign anything.He's from Atlanta and he can tell Atlanta the numbers offered and we can give him the same except structered differently.

The only thing is that current dollars are better then future dollars.

In basketball, the money is guaranteed. Therefore, it doesn't matter.

I am not sure if Philly can frontload a deal since they have only $11 million in cap space.

Im not sure the frontloading affects the cap because the cap hit is an average of the entire deal. Its the luxury tax Im not sure about.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

SMoove doesn't have to sign anything.He's from Atlanta and he can tell Atlanta the numbers offered and we can give him the same except structered differently.

I think he is saying that current dollars are better because $1.00 today is worth more than $1.00 in the future even if both are guaranteed. That is why the lottery pays out less money if you take it today and more money if you take it over time - the true value of $1,000,000 today is signficantly more than $1,000,000 in 2012.

Quote:

Quote:

All they are trying to do is make us overpay so that they can sign the player they really want in Childress.

mwahaha.gif

I am not sure if Philly can frontload a deal since they have only $11 million in cap space.

Yes they can, frontloading is essentially giving a signing bonus. Capwise, it does not matter that they only have $11 million that just means his starting salary can be that with 8% raises for 5 years. That gives you the total value of the contract and 20% of that can be given upfront as the signing bonus. So the bonus is paid, and then he has a base salary for each year. Capwise, the signing bonus is broken up into fifths and evenly distributed over each year of the contract.

Like I said in another post, a frontloaded contract is definitely a possibility but I don't think our ownership will balk. If they do balk, then that will tell us that the legal battle is going to get interesting.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I think he is saying that current dollars are better because $1.00 today is worth more than $1.00 in the future even if both are guaranteed. That is why the lottery pays out less money if you take it today and more money if you take it over time - the true value of $1,000,000 today is signficantly more than $1,000,000 in 2012.

Exactly. You get the benefits of the higher salary before inflationary forces impact the value of those dollars and you also can invest those additional dollars and earn interest of of those investments/savings earlier.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

All they are trying to do is make us overpay so that they can sign the player they really want in Childress.

mwahaha.gif

The 76ers are sitting at 34.6.

If the Cap is set to 56, they have 22 Million to spend on FAs.

My hope is that somebody signs AI to an offer sheet before they can get their frontloaded sheet Smoove's way.

You are forgetting about capholds. They don't have anywhere close to $22 million under the cap. Unless you are assuming they renounce Iguodala and Louis Williams, which would be crazy.

• Premium Member

Quote:

You are forgetting about capholds. They don't have anywhere close to $22 million under the cap. Unless you are assuming they renounce Iguodala and Louis Williams, which would be crazy.

What is it with the cap holds?

My thinking is for AI = 5.1 million and for Williams = what 2 million or so?

7 million... Let's say 8...

They still have roughly 13-14 million to throw at Smoove.

Iguodala's caphold is roughly $9 million. Look at MrH's post about Phillys cap situation to get all the details.

If you assume the cap is at $58 million then they have roughly $11 million to throw. However, we still have a while until the numbers are released so as of right now we do not know the exact amount Philly has. All we can do is give an educated guess at what it is.

Edit: This is the link for the MrH post.

I feel you man; screw the Sixers.

This is kind of ironic, it kind of scares me; but not really- I hit random on NBA Live, and fantasy draft; I came out with the Sixers and picked JS....eek.

Also, thanks to NJHAWK for keeping us informed!