• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Howard Eskin reports Sixers will frontload Smoove

NJHAWK

Quote:

All they are trying to do is make us overpay so that they can sign the player they really want in Childress.

I think that is very astute, and they might not be the only team thinking that. Chill could be that one piece for a few teams that would make him ciovetted.

Guest Walter

I felt at the time of the Bibby trade that JS would be signed for 12-13 million and we could not afford to resign Childress. That meant the Bibby trade wasn't as good (and it wasn't as good also because people really overate Bibby) because we will lose Childress.

A front-loaded contract is obvious. We'll match it. But Childress would seem the casualty.

W

NJ,

Howard is not the only one talking about Smoove today. It has been on the other sports stations, along with the local news here today. And the interest from the fans calling up...was amazing. I think we're in trouble here. There was also a mention of the Grizzlies, Clippers and Pistons....

• Premium Member

How much is Speedy making? Can't we just buy the guy out to free up some cash? We've got to keep the Joshes. We stuck with and developed them, so we should be able to keep them. It just doesn't seem right to invest sooo much in a player(s) just to let them go.

Quote:

How much is Speedy making? Can't we just buy the guy out to free up some cash? We've got to keep the Joshes. We stuck with and developed them, so we should be able to keep them. It just doesn't seem right to invest sooo much in a player(s) just to let them go.

He makes between 5 and 6 mill a year for the next 2 seasons. Even if we buy him out his salry counts against the cap. The only fading hope is an injury exemption if he retires because of injury. Problem is he refuses to retire and keeps saying he will come back. lol

• Premium Member

Quote:

Yes they can, frontloading is essentially giving a signing bonus. Capwise, it does not matter that they only have $11 million that just means his starting salary can be that with 8% raises for 5 years. That gives you the total value of the contract and 20% of that can be given upfront as the signing bonus. So the bonus is paid, and then he has a base salary for each year. Capwise, the signing bonus is broken up into fifths and evenly distributed over each year of the contract.

Like I said in another post, a frontloaded contract is definitely a possibility but I don't think our ownership will balk. If they do balk, then that will tell us that the legal battle is going to get interesting.

It's actually just 17.5% to RFA's like Smith.

Front-loading will not affect the luxury tax, and I don't think it will prevent the Hawks' owners from allowing Sund to match.

If anything, it helps the Hawks re-sign Marvin next year.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

He makes between 5 and 6 mill a year for the next 2 seasons. Even if we buy him out his salry counts against the cap. The only fading hope is an injury exemption if he retires because of injury. Problem is he refuses to retire and keeps saying he will come back. lol

Fortunately, he doesn't have to retire to have injury exemption. Injury exemption counts on the last game he was eligible to play. I think it's a two year rule.

You are right, not sure why I used UFA signing bonus.

The only reason why I would find the front-loaded contract scary is if the Spirit balk at it because of the possibility of losing the team in February to Belkin.

• Premium Member

I hope you're right. I keep hearing that Speedy is trying to comeback, but it appears that the team is moving on WITHOUT him right now. I seriously doubt another team will take a chance on him with his recent injury history so maybe he should consider calling it a career. He's financially secure and young enough to enjoy it. His 5 mil or so comes off the books. It's a win win situation. That money is MUCH better served if it's used to keep some of our core players.

Quote:

for a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline to avoid the luxury tax if necessary. If Smoove gets a deal in excess of $11M, I think that will almost HAVE to happen if we want to resign Chillz too.

You are forgetting that the salaries would have to match (within 25%) in a deadline trade unless the team we are trading with is far below the cap, and i don't see why they would have any incetive to take on the financial responsibility of Bibby's contract for even two months.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

SMoove doesn't have to sign anything.He's from Atlanta and he can tell Atlanta the numbers offered and we can give him the same except structered differently.

The only thing is that current dollars are better then future dollars.

In basketball, the money is guaranteed. Therefore, it doesn't matter.

Well, there is this whole finance concept called present value of money. wink.gif