• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

This is so sad...

Swish

All this Smoove chatter got me thinking. It is embarrasing to think that we are even having the discussion about who to SNT for JS and what to do if we lose him.

The reason we are having this discussion?

The ineptitude of the franchise. ASG, BK, Woody, ASG!

Seriously, can some one name me two franchises anywhere as inept and bone headed as the Hawks have been? I understand things are looking up and I am elated; but this is ridiculous. One of the most talented young guys in the sport, and we are debating whether or not to resign him?

So Josh Smith isn't to blame for rejecting their error last year? They offered him a pretty good deal but he turned it down. He deserves just as much "blame" for it getting to this point as the ASG. It's not that big of a deal though as it's pretty rare to players with such big question marks get a huge contract before they have to be given it.

Quote:

So Josh Smith isn't to blame for rejecting their error last year? They offered him a pretty good deal but he turned it down. He deserves just as much "blame" for it getting to this point as the ASG. It's not that big of a deal though as it's pretty rare to players with such big question marks get a huge contract before they have to be given it.

And what was that "pretty good deal"? All I heard they offered him was 5 years 45million

you can't blame him for turning that down though. Im sure he and his agent thought they could get more that and they were right. I think the fact that Kevin Martin got a big contract had to do with it too.

No I don't blame him at all, I just don't want to see the ASG get all of the blame for us being in this position with him being a RFA. I think that Smith took a gamble on not accepting that deal but it will work out well for him in the long run.

If i were Smith, I would've turned that offer down as well. Even if the ASG offered 5 yr - 60 mill, I would've turned that down.

He knew he was going to be given every chance to succeed last season. If he had a good year, he was going to get paid. He made the right decision. Now the ASG needs to decide what to do, which shouldn't be hard.

For them not to match any offer for Smoove, must mean they really, really, love Chill.

And I'll post something shocking tomorrow that may illustrate why.

I think Chillz is going to be a poor man's Ginobili. Very poor man's, that is. Good penetrator, solid shot, best sixth man available. But; he's not the impact of JS.

I would have also turned that down. Smoove knew that he would get attention from suitors; and everyone would have to pony up. He wants to stay; I think; he just wants the Hawks to pay a bit more. Can anyone blame him?

Guest Walter

Quote:

That sounds about right. Do you think that 9 million per year is a bad offer for a guy who had major question marks coming into the season?

...for JS, seeing that he is likely to get offered AT LEAST 11.5 million from Philly.

I'm surprised at how you characterize JS and the ASG's offer. First, about ASG's offer. Just about any team's offer to a RFA should be considered lower than market value. The player is RESTRICTED so there is less incentive for the team to offer market value.

About JS, unlike the likes of MW, JS improved significantly every year and worked hard on his game in the off-season every year. There was is no doubt about his passion for the game, his work ethic, and the degree to which that has translated to year by year improvements straight out of HS. There was no question that JS would work hard last off-season and improve significantly this year.

To suggest that JS's prior production didn't justify more than a $9 million contract starting THIS year does not demonstrate the ability to assess his development based upon their prior offseason work and in-season returns. In short, $9 mil starting for this year wasn't a good deal for JS then based upon his productivity, work ethic, passion, yearly improvement, potential, etc. and the facts d@mn well PROVE it isn't NOW.

If you thought $9 mil was "good enough" or market value for JS you didn't and still don't know how to accurately assess improvement of a player like JS.

Quote:

Quote:

That sounds about right. Do you think that 9 million per year is a bad offer for a guy who had major question marks coming into the season?

...for JS, seeing that he is likely to get offered AT LEAST 11.5 million from Philly.

I'm surprised at how you characterize JS and the ASG's offer. First, about ASG's offer. Just about any team's offer to a RFA should be considered lower than market value. The player is RESTRICTED so there is less incentive for the team to offer market value.

About JS, unlike the likes of MW, JS improved significantly every year and worked hard on his game in the off-season every year. There was is no doubt about his passion for the game, his work ethic, and the degree to which that has translated to year by year improvements straight out of HS. There was no question that JS would work hard last off-season and improve significantly this year.

To suggest that JS's prior production didn't justify more than a $9 million contract starting THIS year does not demonstrate the ability to assess his development based upon their prior offseason work and in-season returns. In short, $9 mil starting for this year wasn't a good deal for JS then based upon his productivity, work ethic, passion, yearly improvement, potential, etc. and the facts d@mn well PROVE it isn't NOW.

If you thought $9 mil was "good enough" or market value for JS you didn't and still don't know how to accurately assess improvement of a player like JS.

If Smith doesn't become a more intelligent player, he will never be worth what he's going to make.