• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Don't be suprised if they trade Smith for Odom

Wurider05

If I was the ASG I would consider trading Smoove for Odom because it would do two possible things:

1. The team would remain competitive and would probably win more games.

2. With his contract coming off the books along with Bibby you got what 25+ million dollars coming off your books then you can sign free agents for but not use all of your cap space.

I don't know if the trade works but think it could be a real possibility if it did. With Odom we would still make the playoffs. I am not saying that he is better than Smoove but financially it would make since if they don't feel Smoove is worth the money he is seeking. As long as we are winning I think that fans will be happy.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If I was broke like the ASG I would trade Smoove for Odom because it would do two possible things:

1. The team would remain competitive and would probably win more games.

2. With his contract coming off the books along with Bibby you got what 25+ million dollars coming off your books then you can sign free agents for but not use all of your cap space.

I don't know if the trade works but think about it could be a real possibility if it did.
With Odom we would still make the playoffs. I am not saying that he is better than Smoove but financially it would make since if they don't feel Smoove is worth the money he is seeking. As long as we are winning I think that fans will be happy. I know I would!!!!

This message board is weird!

This trade makes zero sense.

1. Everybody knows that it doesn't matter how much cap space the Hawks have, no big name free agents will sign with Atlanta and the ASG.

2. Odom is a SF and you already have Marvin, why swap Josh Smith for a redundant player.

Hawk88

They would have to give us multiple 1st round picks, this year and a future pick and even then I doubt I would do it since their picks will be so low.

This trade won't work anyway since Smith is BYC. We would have to include Speedy and Zaza to be able to make it happen.

The key differance between the two players is age. They are both tweeners although Odom is 6"10 and a better rebounder than Smoove. Smoove scored more but not anywhere near the efficency level of Odom who shot 52% I believe. The problem is Smoove is so much younger and still has upside as where Odom has prolly topped off his game. I dont like the fact that his motivation was questioned during the nba finals either. I mean how do you not get up to play in the finals?

Not to mention, wouldn't that give the Hawks two big expiring contracts at the end of next season? (Bibby and Odom)

If so, that could be plenty to go after BIG names (Wade, Lebron, Howard) I may be wrong though...

Honestly, I want to keep Smoove... But, knowing and seeing how the ASG works, I won't hold my breath...

Quote:

Not to mention, wouldn't that give the Hawks two big expiring contracts at the end of next season? (Bibby and Odom)

If so, that could be plenty to go after BIG names (Wade, Lebron, Howard) I may be wrong though...

Honestly, I want to keep Smoove... But, knowing and seeing how the ASG works, I won't hold my breath...

Thank you for understanding. The fellas on this board was acting like it was just a straight up trade. The point I was trying to make was the enormous amount of money we could have available when the contracts expire.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you for understanding. The fellas on this board was acting like it was just a straight up trade. The point I was trying to make was the enormous amount of money we could have available when the contracts expire.

IMO, if we show we aren't willing to commit to Josh Smith then there is no way in the world that guys like Wade, Lebron, etc. would consider signing here. [Thus, I don't see us in the running for those guys under any circumstances].

I don't think that's necessarily true. If we have determined that Josh Smith isn't in our long term plans and that we are looking for cap room next summer to be able to bring in someone who would be in our long term plans then I'm sure FAs would understand that. If we let Smith go simply because of financial reasons then yes that would look bad.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The key differance between the two players is age. They are both tweeners although Odom is 6"10 and a better rebounder than Smoove. Smoove scored more but not anywhere near the efficency level of Odom who shot 52% I believe. The problem is Smoove is so much younger and still has upside as where Odom has prolly topped off his game. I dont like the fact that his motivation was questioned during the nba finals either. I mean how do you not get up to play in the finals?

Good assessment! I really like odom as a player but Smith has upside and he is from the ATL. We need a vet big in the worst way and could use a vet scorer off the bench.

We might as well trade JJ for Antoine Walker as well.