• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What is the limit per year you would go for Smith?

Admin

Quote:

I could be wrong but didn't we remove the huge up front money once we decided to do a SnT instead of trying to get him as a FA?

Actually no, we signed him to the exact same amount we had in our proposed offer sheet (he didn't sign an offer sheet, if he did then there could not be a SnT). So it was 5 years with 10% raises with a signing bonus to make it frontloaded. I always thought that was a dumb move also, why on earth did we not add another year or give him 12.5% raises or take away the signing bonus???

I think the reason might because of legal complications. We were probably bound by the courts to only be able to offer in what we would have in the offer sheet. That, or the Spirit/BK were a bunch of morons so either option seems plausible to me.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I read your other post where you broke it down just after I posted that. You're probably right it was probably because of legal reasons why we had to do the contract the way that we did. At least he is still a bargain at his current salary though, unlike Bibby.

Quote:

"What is the
limit per year
you would go for Smith?"
not "
What is the limit that you would go for Smith
this year
?".

Wow

make up your mind.

The limit this year would be Smiths starting salary which is what you claim to be asking about and now you say that is NOT what you are asking about

Quote:

Reading is certainly not a strong suit of yours is it? We don't know what the limit will be this year, only approximately, hence the reason to ask what the limit is that people would pay for him
this year

I can only assume that English is your second language.

This is what you wrote just minutes ago.

Quote:

Back to the original post though, the title of the post was "What is the limit per year you would go for Smith?"
not
"What is the limit that you would go for Smith
this year?
".

Do you see the word NOT?

This is truly amazing.

Excuse me, I should have said *disclaimer - this statement is in regard to what the legal amount will be once set. Sorry, I will try and make things easier for you from now on. Should I double space my sentences? Use bigger fonts and smaller words? Maybe use different color text?

Quote:

Excuse me, I should have said *disclaimer - this statement is in regard to what the legal amount will be once set. Sorry, I will try and make things easier for you from now on. Should I double space my sentences? Use bigger fonts and smaller words? Maybe use different color text?

You still dont get it. You are so far out in left field it isn't even funny. I am not referencing the cap limits at all.

Your thread title, which i took no notice of, asked what Smith was worth PER YEAR. It should have asked about THIS YEAR since you were asking for his starting salary.

And yet you just said...

Quote:

Back to the original post though, the title of the post was "What is the limit per year you would go for Smith?"
not "What is the limit that you would go for Smith this year?".

What you just did is the equivalent of saying

"I have brown hair"

and

"I do not have brown hair"

in consecutive posts.

Quote:

Oh, so you think that people assumed I was asking what the limit is for Smith 5,6,10 years from now? Yeah that makes more sense than the only thing that matters which is what he will be paid this year.

In your original post to me you made it clear that you were asking about his starting "this year" salary and not his average salary.

Quote:

I wasn't asking for the average annual salary as that is the most relevant to us right now.
I was asking for the starting salary
and I believe that most people have been voting off of that assumption.

Then you just post this.

Quote:

not
"What is the limit that you would go for Smith
this year?"

Can you really not see the contradiction?

Quote:

I'm tired of explaining this to you. If you haven't gotten it by now you will never get it so with that said I'm done discussing this topic with you.

Basically you are saying

i was asking for this years salary

And then saying

i was not asking for this years salary.

Your thread title DID NOT ASK FOR THIS YEARS SALARY YET YOU SAY THAT WAS INTENTIONAL WTF.

BTW i still waiting for you to find the post where i initially "attacked" you.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

JJ's was frontloaded, but somehow it was administered so that he still got raises.

for cap purposes it is a normal deal with max raises. But in reality he made the most money in year 1.

In year 1, JJ made 14 million.

IN year 5, he will make 14.9 million.

Check it.

BK frontloaded the deal to make it tougher for the Suns to match. He got much more than $14 millon in year one. If i remember right he got $20 million in year 1.

It was guestimated that he would get 20 million but 20 million don't work with what he's getting now.

5 year 70 million.

if you take off 20 million, he gets 4 year 50 million (average of 12.5).

However,

JJ is set to make 14.3 million this year and 14.9 million next year.

That doesn't work.

I believe that those salaries are just for purposes of calculating the cap. JJ's signing bonus was spread out equally each year for cap purposes i believe.

Like I said, that was a guestimation.

So, You think JJ makes something like:

20 million, 11 million, 12 million, 13 million, 14million?

I don't think so.

Moreover, why is it that it's correct in the case of Zaza, Diaw, and Shaq's funny contracts?

I'm not sure, but i think JJ got paid 20 million in actual money the first year of his contract. but it only counted like 12.5 mill against the cap. then for the reminder of his contract the actual money being paid to him will be like 11 mill, 12 mill, 13 mill, 14. But the actual cap hit will be like 13 mill, 13.9 mill, 14.8 mill, 15.7 mill. So u can see the difference between the money actually being put into JJ's bank account and what the NBA recognizes when using their cap rules.

Quote:

You guys are hilarious. From what I read I think exodus is right but still man....lol

There have been much crazier threads than this over the last few years. This one wouldn't rank very high at all.

The stories i could tell.

or annually.... lol

Quote:

Did I say that nobody has EVER signed a deal like that?
Find me a deal with a contract that starts at 11 million or more per year and doesn't include the standard raises

I found one for you, The Diesel.

I won't hold my breath waiting for you to find a trade where 2 high priced UFA were traded for each other.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'm not sure, but i think JJ got paid 20 million in actual money the first year of his contract. but it only counted like 12.5 mill against the cap. then for the reminder of his contract the actual money being paid to him will be like 11 mill, 12 mill, 13 mill, 14. But the actual cap hit will be like 13 mill, 13.9 mill, 14.8 mill, 15.7 mill. So u can see the difference between the money actually being put into JJ's bank account and what the NBA recognizes when using their cap rules.

I would think that's illegal. Moreover, if you look at JJ's raises, it's not the normal 10%. It's 5.2 %.

I think what probably happened is that he was frontloaded from 12.5 to 13.8.

I think what you and exodus has forgotten is that we didn't get JJ signed right away. We threatened a frontloaded contract. Suns threatened to match. JJ talked Suns out of matching. We took a sign and trade for JJ.

One thing we know is that Diaw was traded for JJ. Diaw only makes 9 million dollars. Suns had cap room, but Suns didn't have 11 Million dollars in cap space to eat on JJ. That's what it would have taken to get him a frontloaded contract at 20 million.

I think what happened is that when the Suns accepted that they would lose JJ, we worked a deal that was not Frontloaded (as we had threatened.)..

Then remember, the real JJ signing didn't happen for almost a month after we made a deal with the Suns.

I don't think JJ signed a frontloaded contract at all. At least not frontloaded by 20 Million dollars in the first year. IF they did... Show me how the Suns with Amare, Nash, and QRich at the time was able to poney up the 11 million it would have taken to complete that trade?

• Premium Member

Quote:

I remember discussing this with someone a while ago, and there needs to be clarification on JJ's contract.

What he got paid is different from his Cap Hits. Also his base salary is different from what he got paid.

JJ's base salary increases. I believe it started around 9-11 million and had 10% raises. So yes every year he got raises. However, he received a signing bonus that was roughly 10 million. So he got paid roughly 20 million his first season, then it declined his second season and then rose each subsequent year. He was paid more in his 1st season than in any other season because of his signing bonus.

In terms of Cap Hits, basically you take his base salary and add 1/5th or his signing bonus. So for his Cap Hits, he continually rises the same amount each year. I believe he started off at around 12.75 million and rose 10% each year.

*Disclaimer, all numbers (except 10% raises and 1/5th of signing bonus) is a guestimation so do not take them to be accurate. They are probably within 1-2 million but in no way are they definite.

You forget..

JJ was the product of a sign and trade.

the Suns didn't pony up what it took to pay JJ 20 million. What would the purpose of that be?

• Premium Member

Quote:

One thing we know is that Diaw was traded for JJ. Diaw only makes 9 million dollars. Suns had cap room, but Suns didn't have 11 Million dollars in cap space to eat on JJ. That's what it would have taken to get him a frontloaded contract at 20 million.

Diaw didn't make 9 million when we traded him, it was closer to 2. But that doesn't matter, we had infinite capspace at that time, so we could take back any amount of salary and it wouldn't matter. Much like Charlotte did with J-Rich last season, it didn't matter how much cap PHX had because we were the ones taking back the salary.

D I have no idea what you are responding about. Is that an attack at me? The ASG? Phoenix? I am clueless as to what you are saying.

I was just clarifying the contract situation for you guys, so a response to a clarification just seems odd to me.

Quote:

Quote:

Jhay already posted your initial attack. No sense posting it again. You denied it and obviously don't know when you are attacking someone.

LOL where exactly did he quote my "attack"? He never posted any "attack" I made and in fact didn't quote any of my posts.

I wonder if you actually believe the nonsense you write.

Good luck.