• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hidden Message from Sekou?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

Which of these players would you most consider trading for a pick in Thursday's draft?

Josh Childress

Josh Smith

Marvin Williams

I saw this poll on AJC. Written by Sekou. Funny thing about the poll is that until July 1, we can't trade Smoove or Chillz.

Is this a hidden message sent by Sekou telling us that it's possible that Marvin will be traded for a first round pick?

IF so, a team that makes the most sense is Minnesota.

Followed by Memphis and Seattle.

Minny because they actually could use a good Sf.

Maybe trade Brewer/#3 for Marvin

Gives them a good lineup with better shooting: Foye/McCants/Marvin/Smith/Jefferson. I can't believe that they're sold on Mayo.

You're crazy if you think they are going to trade Brewer AND #3 for Marvin. If they would do it, I'd parlay the #3/Bibby for a BIG TIME player and keep Brewer to fill in for Childress off the bench if he leaves. That would be an incredible trade that would NEVER happen. I would have done it yesterday.

• Premium Member

Quote:

You're crazy if you think they are going to trade Brewer AND #3 for Marvin. If they would do it, I'd parlay the #3/Bibby for a BIG TIME player and keep Brewer to fill in for Childress off the bench if he leaves. That would be an incredible trade that would NEVER happen. I would have done it yesterday.

I don't think anybody was pleased with Brewer. In fact, he's somewhat of a flop. Marvin is a capable Sf and better than Brewer. They may be willing to give up #3 (which is Mayo... who needs him?) for Marvin and either Brewer as the carrot.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think anybody was pleased with Brewer. In fact, he's somewhat of a flop. Marvin is a capable Sf and better than Brewer. They may be willing to give up #3 (which is Mayo... who needs him?) for Marvin and either Brewer as the carrot.

Diesel I can't believe that you have actually stated that Marvin was better than somebody else and you said he is a capable SF. I am so proud of you!!!!

I don't think that Sekou writes the polls, just like most writers don't write their headlines. So I wouldn't put too much stock in the poll as a hidden clue.

While I don't have much faith in Sund, I COMPLETELY agree with his assertion that this team doesn't need anymore projects or 19-20 year-olds (at least not amongst our top 9-10 players). Assuming we re-sign one of the Joshes, we most of our long-term nucleus, so we need to focus on some short-term production. Seems like for $2M, we should be able to get a vet who will contribute far more next season than a rookie making the same salary.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't think that Sekou writes the polls, just like most writers don't write their headlines. So I wouldn't put too much stock in the poll as a hidden clue.

While I don't have much faith in Sund, I COMPLETELY agree with his assertion that this team doesn't need anymore projects or 19-20 year-olds (at least not amongst our top 9-10 players). Assuming we re-sign one of the Joshes, we most of our long-term nucleus, so we need to focus on some short-term production. Seems like for $2M, we should be able to get a vet who will contribute far more next season than a rookie making the same salary.

I have to disagree with that. Every rookie is not a project. Look at Horf. Look at Scola. Look at Thornton. If somebody gave us the opportunity to pick up a game changing rook, I'm all over it.

Moreover, it's less likely that we have the funding to go after a good Vet.

I would love to get Kurt Thomas and Daniel Gibson on this team. However, more than likely, we would have to settle for MBenga and Rush.

Quote:

I have to disagree with that. Every rookie is not a project. Look at Horf. Look at Scola. Look at Thornton. If somebody gave us the opportunity to pick up a game changing rook, I'm all over it.

I would love to get Kurt Thomas and Daniel Gibson on this team. However, more than likely, we would have to settle for MBenga and Rush.

Horford was the top Junior/Senior of his draft class after winning consecutive championships. Who in this draft has that pedigree? Scola was drafted maybe 2-3 years before he made it to the NBA, are you suggesting that we draft someone and wait 2-3 years for them to come over? And excuse me if I have no desire to draft a wing player (even though Thornton is very good). I don't see how we develop a young wing who may get less then 18 minutes of PT behind our other wing players. What's the point of spending money on a guy who can't learn the game?

Quote:

I believe it does behoove to revisit draft #11 from last summer, and make the correction.

I am for acquiring Javaris in the expense of Acie. Positioning to jettison Marvin and Bibby for 'Melo and Carter. Look at Diop or Jackie Butler as the 5.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Horford was the top Junior/Senior of his draft class after winning consecutive championships. Who in this draft has that pedigree? Scola was drafted maybe 2-3 years before he made it to the NBA, are you suggesting that we draft someone and wait 2-3 years for them to come over? And excuse me if I have no desire to draft a wing player (even though Thornton is very good). I don't see how we develop a young wing who may get less then 18 minutes of PT behind our other wing players. What's the point of spending money on a guy who can't learn the game?

I'm not talking about those players. I'm talking about the possibility of getting a quality player from this draft who can come in and play right away. Everytime draft is mentioned, people start in with the thought that all drafted players are projects. That's not true. Only Atlanta Falls for the okidoke of taking a 5 year project with a high pick. Some players are ready to compete first or second year. That's my point.

Moreover, I feel that it's prolly more lilkely to get a good talent now in the draft than is likely that we find a good talent now in FAcy.

I wouldn't read much into that. I think Sund is more likely to turn Marvin into a vet than a rook. I sure hope so anyways. However, if we get the #3 pick for just Marv, can you imagine the future?!?:

Acie

OJ Mayo

JJ

Smoove

Horf

Chillz off the bench... that team would be terrorizing opposing fast break defenses for a decade.

Quote:

I'm not talking about those players. I'm talking about the possibility of getting a quality player from this draft who can come in and play right away. Everytime draft is mentioned, people start in with the thought that all drafted players are projects. That's not true. Only Atlanta Falls for the okidoke of taking a 5 year project with a high pick. Some players are ready to compete first or second year. That's my point.

Moreover, I feel that it's prolly more lilkely to get a good talent now in the draft than is likely that we find a good talent now in FAcy.

I agree, there are some players in every draft that are ready now. But your still projecting based on limited data. I don't think it is worth the risk. Woody doesn't know how to develop 2nd round picks and I simply don't see a late 1st round talent that is better than a low-end vet free agent. As an example, I'd rather have Kareem Rush than a wing from 20-30. I'd rather gamble on Patrick O'Bryant than any center 20-30. I'd rather have Chris Duhon than any PG from 20-30. I'd rather have Josh Powell (is he a UFA?) than any PF 20-30. And all those guys will likely sign for $3M or less.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, there are some players in every draft that are ready now. But your still projecting based on limited data. I don't think it is worth the risk. Woody doesn't know how to develop 2nd round picks and I simply don't see a late 1st round talent that is better than a low-end vet free agent. As an example, I'd rather have Kareem Rush than a wing from 20-30. I'd rather gamble on Patrick O'Bryant than any center 20-30. I'd rather have Chris Duhon than any PG from 20-30. I'd rather have Josh Powell (is he a UFA?) than any PF 20-30. And all those guys will likely sign for $3M or less.

Rush would be a good pick up!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

First off, you have to see my original proposal. I'm proposing the 3rd pick overall. That's OJ Mayo, Love area...

But to address your specifics..

Let's see: Patrick O'Bryant vs Speights, Hibbert, Thompson, Jawai., Pekovic.

I'd take all of those guys over O'Bryant.

Rush vs. Douglass Roberts, Walker.

I like the draft.

I agree that Duhon is better than anybody in the draft late... However, what are the chances of us 1. Going after Duhon. 2. Getting Duhon. I say Nil and Nil.

• Premium Member

Now a draft day trade involving Douglas-Roberts and Bill Walker I can live with! Those are two hard-nosed players that could contribute right away. But I honestly don't think we need anymore Rookies on this team. But If we were still in the "build through the draft" mode, I'd be very pleased coming out of the draft with those two players. It's hard to say what vets available out there now would be comparable to those two players at the same price point. But I just don't see us getting any younger.

Quote:

However, if we get the #3 pick for just Marv, can you imagine the future?!?

Acie

OJ Mayo

JJ

Smoove

Horf

Chillz off the bench... that team would be terrorizing opposing fast break defenses for a decade.

Wow. Think a year or two from now.

PG Law Mayo

SG Mayo JJ Childress

SF JJ Childress Brewer

PF Smoove Horford

C Horford ... um ... Pachulia/Kwame ... or Diop?

If Mayo can dominate off of the ball like some project that could be a stellar line-up. Assuming Law gets his shooting touch, that's three facilitators who can shoot, spreading the floor, and knife into the lane to distribute or score. That team would be exciting to watch.

or

PG Mayo Law

SG JJ Mayo (Richardson or vet)

SF Childress Brewer

PF Smoove Horford

C Horford ... um ... Pachulia/Kwame ... or Diop?

Mayo here becomes the main point, for those who project him as such.