• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Stay FOCUSED . . . Hawksquawk

TheNorthCydeRises

I think we should have traded into the draft and got Chris Douglass Roberts late. This guy lead Memphis with 18 points a game he fills the basket-nickname buckets. This would have taking pressure off of Joe. Our team needs help, so to stand pat is not wise. Al needs back up help inside. We should consider Donta Ellis from the Warriors. Rememeber we back up and fell into the playoffs. One lost at NY or Pacers and we are making more moves and our coach is gone. If we get the guy in from overseas that would help to.

• Premium Member

I don't mind us not trading for JO or Jefferson, I wouldn't have either. But the East is going to be much tougher next season, especially if we don't make any moves. Other teams are passing us and gaining quick.

I expect Miami to be much improved, Chicago to be much better. Philly can still sign a good piece, and now Milwaukee will be better. The East isn't going to be the disaster it was last year, and I can even see us possibly not making the playoffs if we screw around too much like last season.

Guest Walter

Quote:

The #1 goal of this offseason is re-signing Josh Smith, with #2 being re-signing Chill. Not worrying about who will be our #9 - #12 guys via trading for a draft pick.

Just wanted to remind some of you of that.

Our #1 goal is being a contender. We will not be a contender without some major changes and increases in TALENT. Will NEVER happen. When you have a chance to pick up a gem in the 2nd rd, that's your ONLY chance at improvement, and you must improve to contend you do NOT waste it. See Monta Ellis.

W

• Premium Member

It's so ridiculous some of the presumptions that just never seem to register as debunked with some people... can you improve with a 2nd round pick? History says very, very rarely.

Anyone with any objectivity understands that substantive improvement for the immediate future (09 and 10) to the ATL roster on this draft night was only going to come via a trade that would have let go of expiring contracts (Bibby, ZaZa) plus ideally Speedy, in return for a solid PG and C/PF in mid-to-late career without increasing payroll.

An improbable and tall order to say the least. (Hysterical mob types would call that an excuse. I call it a reason.)

*rolls eyes*

By Sekou K. Smith

June 26, 2008 12:26 PM | Link to this

Chris,

I can’t speak for the Hawks at all. But if I were the GM of this team and I knew I needed some quality vets to fill out my roster and serve as a security staff for my youngsters, I’d start with (and this is just my working list going into July 1):

BIGS: Dikembe Mutombo Aaron Williams Malik Allen Eduardo Najera Earl Barron DeSagana Diop Brian Skinner Francisco Elson

WINGS/GUARDS: Mike Finley Jarvis Hayes Jannero Pargo Bostjan Nachbar Casey Jacobsen Quinton Ross Devin Brown

Those are just the unrestricted cats I’d be investigating to see if they could work on my team (there are other names you’d explore in trades, mainly anybody on any roster that’s under contract for next season). Remember, I’ve got starters at every spot (theoretically) so what I need right now is quality players to fill out my roster.

I’ve also got a backup PG I’m working with (Acie Law IV), so I’m not going heavy on the PGs. But I need frontcourt depth, someone to backup Joe Johnson and a defensive tone-setted off the bench to disrupt things for opposing teams.

Quote:

It's so ridiculous some of the presumptions that just never seem to register as debunked with some people... can you improve with a 2nd round pick? History says very, very rarely.

Anyone with any objectivity understands that substantive improvement for the immediate future (09 and 10) to the ATL roster on this draft night was only going to come via a trade that would have let go of expiring contracts (Bibby, ZaZa) plus ideally Speedy, in return for a solid PG and C/PF in mid-to-late career without increasing payroll.

An improbable and tall order to say the least. (Hysterical mob types would call that an excuse. I call it a reason.)

*rolls eyes*

I agree with this. Most rookies are not impact players, especially those in the second round. The Hawks need improvement but it was unlikely to come from the draft, althoug I understand that it feels like we were left out of the excitement.

• Premium Member

In addition to staying focused, Hawks' fans need to realize that Sund has little more than the vet minimum to work with to fill the rest of the bench if both Childress and Smith are kept.

Don't be expecting guys like Diop - they'll put the Hawks into the luxury tax.

Quote:

The east is going to be better and the Hawks aren't improving that much. Next year they will still lack big men and shooters just as they did this past year.

Exactly! So why do some want our number one goal to be the EXACT same team as last year in every aspect?

Quote:

Becuase people believe Josh Smith will make the allstar team this year.... Al will average 17/10 and Marvin will be much better... Oh, and the team will be healthy all year again. All this pretty much has to happen if the team expects to win 45+ games this year.

Tough way of putting it but you are exactly right Hot. We really need offense off the bench. I would be SO happy to have Damien Wilkens. He can only do the deed at ATL...fine...41 games at ATL next year. I would also like to have a BWSITM (meaning big white stiff in the middle...like Chicago had with Wennington). Just a big MFer to take up space...7 foot - 260+ - not named Zaza.

If we would have had our pick (thanks BK....rrrrr) we could have gotten a guy like K out of Ohio State. Big as hell...moderate skills...space eater.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

The east is going to be better and the Hawks aren't improving that much. Next year they will still lack big men and shooters just as they did this past year.

Exactly! So why do some want our number one goal to be the EXACT same team as last year in every aspect?

This is how I feel also. We should try to find a player who can make a splash. Resign the Joshes, but keep your eyes open for soembody who can help as a third scorer or a defensive rebounder.

Quote:

This is how I feel also. We should try to find a player who can make a splash. Resign the Joshes, but keep your eyes open for soembody who can help as a third scorer or a defensive rebounder.

I'm really borderline on paying real money to keep Chillz...I love the stickbacks but I'm not sure that he (or Marvin) are really the guys we stick to. Package them for a mid-level center...put Al at PF and JS at SF. (IMHO)