• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Gerald Wallace on the block

jezmund

Quote:

He may never be as good as Wallace but there is certainly a reasonable chance that he can be BETTER than Wallace on offense. He is already a FAR better shooter and he is better than Wallace was at the same age.

I like Wallace but he may be just a player who puts up good numbers on a bad team. CHA won 29 games last year and they haven't sniffed the playoffs since he's been there. They have a quality big man in Okafor, a quality SG in Richardson and a solid PG in Felton. If Wallace is as good as everyone seems to think he is, why are they not a better team? I think if Smoove were in CHA in place of Wallace and alonside Okafor, Richardson and Felton, I think the team would win more than 29 games.

I think Wallace is certainly better than Marvin now but I think it is VERY realistic that Marvin can be a better player than Wallace in a couple of years.

Jeesus. I try to give Marv a complement (I think Wallace is pretty good, MUCH better than Marvin right now) and you still feel the need to defend him? If you can't see the difference in the 2's potential and Marv's limited ahtleticism I'm not going to debate it with you.

Guest Walter

Quote:

He may never be as good as Wallace but there is certainly a reasonable chance that he can be BETTER than Wallace on offense. He is already a FAR better shooter and he is better than Wallace was at the same age.

I like Wallace but he may be just a player who puts up good numbers on a bad team. CHA won 29 games last year and they haven't sniffed the playoffs since he's been there. They have a quality big man in Okafor, a quality SG in Richardson and a solid PG in Felton. If Wallace is as good as everyone seems to think he is, why are they not a better team? I think if Smoove were in CHA in place of Wallace and alonside Okafor, Richardson and Felton, I think the team would win more than 29 games.

I think Wallace is certainly better than Marvin now but I think it is VERY realistic that Marvin can be a better player than Wallace in a couple of years.

OK, MW is a better mid range shooter. He is significantly worse in every other category, INCLUDING OFFENSIVE categories. 'Nuff said. If I want a MEAGER mid range shooter who disappears when it counts I can call on 100 or so players. If I want want Wallace does, I can't call on 5. MW will never be as good overall as Wallace. Not even close. Simply silly.

There are an infinite many number of stats to demonstrate this but one will do...Wallace LED HIS TEAM with a +5 on/off the court margin. MW? He was SECOND TO LAST on his team in on/of the court margin at -3.5 (considering players that played more than 10% of available minutes. MW sucks frankly and offers less to his team than even his meager individual stats would suggest.

Seriously, Trace, to complain Wallace doesn't do enough to help his team win?!? That's like the worst MFing argument in comparison to MW. We won DESPITE MW at the Sf position!!! You don't become the team's 2nd worst on/off court margin player without EARNING such a horrible distinction. Wallace was the best Bobcat player in terms of elevating his TEAM while he was on the court. Mind you, the Bobcats are a poor team with major interior (who else but Okafor) and scoring (Morrison out for the season and he hasn't really panned out well) deficiencies. The Bobcat's best player couldn't help us win over our 2nd worst player in terms of on/off the court margins?!? Just a laughable argument.

Wallace has more heart and fire in his pinky than MW does in his whole body and while he ALONE can't elevate his team, he manages to do so more than anyone else on his team while not being the 2nd biggest dead weight on his team like MW somehow managed.

W

Marvin averaged 15 ppg, 6 rbg, 2 apg & 1 spg at 21. "Simply silly?" Those are FACTS. Just because YOU don't think it is possible that Marvin can improve and surpass Wallace as a player certainly doesn't mean that I have to share that opinion.

I think Marvin is going to continue to get better and I think he will surpass Wallace as an OFFENSIVE player in the very near future. Whether he ever surpasses him as an all around player remains to be seen but if he continues to improve, I certainly think it is possible.

Comparing Marvin NOW to Wallace NOW is certainly not a fair comparison so all of your plus/minus numbers of Wallace as a 25 year old and Marvin as a 21 year old mean NOTHING to me. Wallace is stronger and more experienced. At age 23, Wallace averaged 15/8/3/2. I think Marvin will approach those numbers as a 22 year old (scoring a little more and rebounding a little less) and he will certainly EXCEED Wallace's production (11/6/2/2) as a 22 yerar old.

You are really quite comical. You have been so accurate with your projections regarding young talent. I must be crazy not to believe you when you say that young Marvin will never amount to anything. How is your boy Bargnani coming along? I seem to recall that you wanted to give up Chillz AND the #5 overall for him. That is Chillz plus what SHOULD have been Brandon Roy for Bargnani. What about your boy Yi? Yeah, he is CLEARLY better than Horford. And that Sene is going to be the next Bill Russell I tell ya! Whatever! soapbox.gif

I can't wait until Marvin makes you eat your words. Go Marvin!

• Premium Member

I hate to say it Traceman, but those stats don't tell the whole story. Wallace and Marvin play two completely different styles of basketball. You plug Wallace into our starting lineup(even at the age of 21/22) and we immediately improve offensively and defensively. You plug Marvin into the Bobcat's starting lineup and......well, you see what I'm getting at. I have to agree with Walter on this one.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Gerald Wallace is officially on the block according to hoopsworld.com.

Is he too redundant to Josh Smith (except for better shooting) or is he a player you guys would like to see us go after. I say make a run at him. Maybe with a franchise full of UNC people, we could get him for Marvin/Speedy. Wallace is currently BYC so I'm not sure when that comes off. It certainly makes a trade more difficult.

What I do like about Gerald is that from what I can remember, he is more capable of staying in front of 3's than Smith and has a better jumpshot. Our defense would be pretty darn good with Wallace/Smith/Horford.

It would be interesting if we could make a deal for Wallace.

Quote:

Wallace into our starting lineup(even at the age of 21/22) and we immediately improve offensively and defensively

I don't know that Wallace would improve us offensively at all NOW let alone at the age of 21/22. Gerald Wallace had no handle (still doesn't have a great one) and he couldn't shoot AT ALL at 21. All he could do was hit dunks and layups. Marvin was much better offensively last year than Wallace was at that age. Wallace shot only 35% from midrange at age 22. Marvin shot 45% from midrange at age 21 with FAR more shot attempts. LAST YEAR at age 25, Wallace only made 74 midrange J's ALL SEASON and he shot only 38% from midrange. Meanwhile, Marvin made 198 midrange J's and shot 45% from midrange.

Wallace's offense up until just a couple of years ago consisted of layups and dunks. Now, he will make a few 3's but he doesn't shoot those particularly well either. Like Smoove, Wallace has tremendous athleticism and as a result, he finds ways to score around the rim but he is no great offensive threat.

I like Wallace. He is a very good all around player who I consider to be underrated by most. BUT like Smoove, his offense does not make him valuable, it's his ALL AROUND play.

I'm not so sure that CHA's offense would be worse with Marvin if he were there in place of Wallace. They would be a worse TEAM but they might actually SCORE just as much if not more.

lol Marvin still can't make layups.and wasn't Wallace stuck on the bench in Sacramento earlier in his career?He didn't get a chance till Charlotte came along.Marvin has played all along and still can only do one thing and isn't even consistent at that.

did last year (56% to 55%) and the jump shooting is not even close. If Wallace could shoot like Marvin he'd be an All Star.

Wallace is a bricklayer from the perimeter but his saving grace is that he is so athletic that he can usually find a way to get to the FT line. Thankfully, he improved his FT shooting to 73% last year because he is a career 66% FT shooter.

It almost makes me wish we still had Shelden because at least you could make an argument for him being a bust. There is no way in the world that Marvin is a bust and it's unfortunate that just because he is a little clumsy people miss all of the good things that he brings to the table.

Quote:

did last year (56% to 55%) and the jump shooting is not even close. If Wallace could shoot like Marvin he'd be an All Star.

Wallace is a bricklayer from the perimeter but his saving grace is that he is so athletic that he can usually find a way to get to the FT line. Thankfully, he improved his FT shooting to 73% last year because he is a career 66% FT shooter.

Thats kind of misleading. He made a lower percentage of both layups and dunks (and took fewer of each) indivudually but since he took comparitively few layups, the overall percentage is higher.

Gerald isn't as good of a finisher as I would have thought though.