• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Memphis has $15M in cap space after trade.

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Antoine Walker 9,052,460

Darko Milicic 7,020,000

Marko Jaric 6,575,000

Greg Buckner 4,010,005

Mike Conley 3,630,480

O.J. Mayo 3,229,200

Rudy Gay 2,579,400

Hakim Warrick 2,119,102

Javaris Crittenton 1,381,560

Kyle Lowry 1,163,520

Darrell Arthur 814,300

(Damon Stoudamire) 1,630,719

TOTALS 43,205,746

...and a need at PF. The good news is that Marc Gasol is likely to take $3M of that immediately, but I don't think we can ignore them...

Seriously, whoever said it was hard to tear down a franchise and put them into a good cap situation? Right here Memphis showed you can do that easily and also within that time they gave away a horrible contract (Darko).

They are a scary team, they are only a few pieces away and have the flexibility to do so.

I've said all along that Memphis was NOT trying to add significant payroll ever since that Gasol trade. They're doing exactly what we did back in the summer of 2004. You do away with all of the old remnants of the losing team, and replace them with cheap, very good young talent and/or expiring contracts. But you operate on the cheap at least for a year or two, before you try to add major upgrades free agent wise to the squad.

With the financial situation that their franchise is in, I'd be SHOCKED if they did anything significant to bring in a high-priced free agent into the mix. When they add Gasol, they'll have 13 players under contract ( 12 actually on the team ) and be around 47 million in payroll. I don't see them going over 50 million in payroll this year, when it's all said and done.

Lineup:

PG - Conley

G - Mayo

F - Gay

PF - Warrick

C - Gasol

Bench:

G - Lowry

G - Critt

G/F - Jarik

F - Walker

C - Darko

Arthur

Buckner

Yeah, they definitely have room for a Josh Smith in payroll and in the lineup. But I think they might be done, and wait until next year to get a big time free agent. If Gasol can step right in and contribute at a higher level than Darko did last year, that will be huge for them this year.

Smoove did destroy them in the 2 games we played against them though, and they may remember that, and want him on their squad. I'd still be shocked if they made a move like that though.

But adding a significant FA is EXACTLY what Atlanta did when we got JJ.

Memphis (or any other team) should not be counted out until Josh resigns. Any agent worth his salt would be on the phone with the Griz and talking up Smith.

I do believe that the ASG will not let Smith get away, but other teams can certainly drive up the price (and since cap space is part of the competition equation, they should).

Our GM says they have targetted some free agents and look for them to put some offers to RFAs. I expect most to resign or have their offers matched.

I think Josh Smith or Andris Biedrins will be our top targets but Grizz fans expect Smith to be matched on any offer.

However, Walker is expiring and Buckner's last 2 years can be bought out for $1 million, so we can MAX someone and still be under the cap next summer.

• Moderators

I will be surprised after seeing Memphis purge salary if they now look to immediately add it back with Josh Smith. I also can't see him preferring to play in Memphis than in Atlanta so I would not expect the same sort of "please let me go" action we saw out of JJ.