• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Solomon Jones

mattlanta

Without any real expectations for him to improve as a player, I say he's a PF. Mostly on account of the skinny frame. He doesn't have the skillset of a PF, but he doesn't really have the skill set of a C, either. He's not a 7 footer-he's shorter than Al Horford, in fact, who I said was a PF. He can't bang it inside, and there's plenty of smaller guys who can push him around in the post. He's good on the weakside help but not very good at actually guarding anyone, despite the long arms.

I'll take the measurables any day for either a PF or C, though, in a pinch. 6'8.5 without shoes, 9'1 standing reach, 39" vertical. He looks like a basketball player, he just hasn't shown anything.

i would be very interested in hearing how he does in practice. He obviously needs to go to a big man camp and put on thirty pounds. I think he has the attitude and athleticism to bang inside. He's had stretches where he got minutes and really showed his stuff. He's one guy I would really hate to let go without giving him a decent chance . . . . . especially given the dirth of bigs in the league.

Quote:

i thought Solo was taller than Horf?

Go to draftexpress.com-check the measurements. Soloman is 6'8.5 without shoes, Horf is 6'8.75 without shoes. Solo's arms are much longer, and that, paired with how wiry he is, make him look taller.

Quote:

Doesn't really matter how tall he is if he got a long standing reach (9'1'') and a max vertical of 39." If you look up Zaza, he probably got .5" - 1" (height) on Solomon, but probably his standing reach is about 8'8" and vertical about 25"

I wouldn't say it doesn't matter how tall he is. Standing reach is significant, but there's issues involved in height which still matter. You could say that a particular player's height doesn't matter because of having a long neck and a big head (Shelden Williams?), but I think it's important to be ball from your heels to the top of your shoulders in order to be an NBA big man. And the issues with Soloman aren't really his leaping or armlength. It's his beanpole frame, lack of strength, and lack of basketball skills.

As for Zaza, he really had a down year, but he was a pretty effective big in 05-06 and not bad in 06-07 either. I'd much rather have Zaza on the floor, given the choice between him and Solo, at all times. He has something of an offensive game (he took way too many jumpers last year) and he's got the body frame and strength to fight on the boards. If he did a better job of blocking out and made better decisions on offense, he'd be exactly what nearly every NBA team is actively looking for in a reserve center. In fact, he might deserve more minutes. We didn't get to see a frontcourt of Horford/Zaza until late in the season, and even then it was too seldom. I wouldn't mind using them together more often and letting Al play his more natural position.

Sorry for the tangential post.

• Moderators

Solomon has barely gotten any playing time and when he has he's done well. Sure he makes some bonehead plays but how many of those did we let Smoove, Marvin, Chill do without benching them. The guy has some talent and with a little experience and confidence could be a good defensive guy. A front line of Solo, Smoove, Horford would be a scary-athletic bunch to match up against.

Quote:

Damn, it's close.

Does anyone have any explanations to why they chose whatever position they chose?

I personally think he's a PF since he's not strong enough down low to go head to head with most of the centers in the league.

A lot of centers are pretty scrawny. Biedrins and Dalembert come to mind.

Regardless, its not like Solo can guard either position straight up at this point. He's probably best used standing near the hoop on both ends, either going for oboards and oops or trying to swat a shot. Sounds more like a C to me.

solomon jones has potential to me...he can be a camby type player if he learns the game and gets more experience..i would have him in every possilbe scrimmage game in the offseason...summer league, big man camp...anything..

honestly if they dont have solomon in big man camp this offseason, then our staff sucks.

Quote:

Quote:

Damn, it's close.

Does anyone have any explanations to why they chose whatever position they chose?

I personally think he's a PF since he's not strong enough down low to go head to head with most of the centers in the league.

A lot of centers are pretty scrawny. Biedrins and Dalembert come to mind.

Regardless, its not like Solo can guard either position straight up at this point. He's probably best used standing near the hoop on both ends, either going for oboards and oops or trying to swat a shot. Sounds more like a C to me.

That's pretty much the way I see it, too.

Quote:

solomon jones has potential to me...he can be a
camby
type player if he learns the game and gets more experience..i would have him in every possilbe scrimmage game in the offseason...summer league, big man camp...anything..

honestly if they dont have solomon in big man camp this offseason, then our staff sucks.

Camby? Seriously?

I love when back of the bench players get compared to the top level NBA talents.

Quote:

Quote:

Go to draftexpress.com-check the measurements. Soloman is 6'8.5 without shoes, Horf is 6'8.75 without shoes. Solo's arms are much longer, and that, paired with how wiry he is, make him look taller. without shoes is pointless.Nobody plays basketball bare footed.I don't get why people even look at that number.

Quote:

Quote:

solomon jones has potential to me...he can be a
camby
type player if he learns the game and gets more experience..i would have him in every possilbe scrimmage game in the offseason...summer league, big man camp...anything..

Camby? Seriously?

I love when back of the bench players get compared to the top level NBA talents.

i said TYPE player...of course not camby, good lord...but he can play in the same type manner...shot block, rebounding, not depended on for much offense...but he still needs more experience..

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Go to draftexpress.com-check the measurements. Soloman is 6'8.5 without shoes, Horf is 6'8.75 without shoes. Solo's arms are much longer, and that, paired with how wiry he is, make him look taller. without shoes is pointless.Nobody plays basketball bare footed.I don't get why people even look at that number.

Because that's how tall people are?

If you want to compare the height of one player to another play, why in the world would you include their shoes? Anyone could wear shoes that add like two inches to their real height. I think it's worthless to see the man's height IN shoes.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you want to compare the height of one player to another play, why in the world would you include their shoes? Anyone could wear shoes that add like two inches to their real height. I think it's worthless to see the man's height IN shoes.

It depends on whether these guys wear shoes of the same height throughout their career or not. If a guy could play on 12 inch shoes and still be mobil, that would be a huge advantage. You know how mobile and athletic the guys are. If one guy is going to wear 1 inch shoes and another is wearing 2 inch shoes, the guy with the larger shoes is more valuable if all other things are equal.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you want to compare the height of one player to another play, why in the world would you include their shoes? Anyone could wear shoes that add like two inches to their real height. I think it's worthless to see the man's height IN shoes. So, Solo and Horford play basketball bare footed?