• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Collective estimation of Josh Smith value in trade

sturt

• Premium Member

To measure this, we better define it if we use a common currency... so let's try this... assume for the moment that Philly is willing to part with a number of lottery-protected first round draft picks for Smoove. The question is simple... how many lottery-protected first round picks from Philly would it take for you to be persuaded that Sund absolutely has to let Smith walk?

any deal would have to include a pick with no lotto protection, and even then I don't think that is a good deal. If there is going to be a trade of Smith then lets look around to see what else can be had than what Philly could offer.

• Premium Member

Quote:

any deal would have to include a pick with no lotto protection, and even then I don't think that is a good deal. If there is going to be a trade of Smith then lets look around to see what else can be had than what Philly could offer.

I should have been more clear, but I was trying to do three things at once... pardon any misunderstanding, but I meant lottery protected the other way... ie, must be top 14 pick. Sorry bout dat.

And again, we all could pick and choose what current roster players we would want, but I use the draft picks as compensation specifically as a measure to define how valuable he is to the fans here.

Personally I don't believe that there is any reasonable amount of 1st round picks that I would take for Smoove. They would have to include players as well and the only player that fits our team without having to make additional deals is Dalembert and his salary won't work in a trade with us for Smoove unless we include Zaza or Speedy.

I would consider something like Smoove and Speedy for Dalembert, Young and a 2009 unprotected 1st.

Quote:

I wouldn't make a deal period becuase Josh is that important to this team and losing him would take us back to square 1 in the rebuilding process.

Wow! I don't recall having anyone like Al Horford or JJ when we started this rebuilding effort. If Josh Smith had a horrific injury and missed 82 games for us next season, no way would I expect that we would go back to a 13 or 26 win team.

• Premium Member

No way I'd trade him to Philly for picks. With the addition of Smith, Philly is a perennial playoff team and we'll end up with tons of late firsts that probably won't pan out. A proven young talent is the only thing that entices me honestly.