• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Would you swap Smith for Biedrins?

Admin

I know that might sound crazy but Josh Smith seems to be the type of player that the Warriors covet and he is young and talented enough to give up Biedrins for ... who is also very young and talented. Over his final 5 games during the stretch run he averaged 15 ppg, 16 rpg, and 2 bpg.

Biedrins seems like the type of tall, athletic 5 that Sund really likes and he would look terrific next to Horford.

He is restricted just like Josh Smith so I'm not sure if we could make a deal work though.

If we decide to move Smoove this is definitely one guy I would be okay with making a move for.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

I know that might sound crazy but Josh Smith seems to be the type of player that the Warriors covet and he is young and talented enough to give up Biedrins for ... who is also very young and talented. Over his final 5 games during the stretch run he averaged 15 ppg, 16 rpg, and 2 bpg.

Biedrins seems like the type of tall, athletic 5 that Sund really likes and he would look terrific next to Horford.

He is restricted just like Josh Smith so I'm not sure if we could make a deal work though.

If we decide to move Smoove this is definitely one guy I would be okay with making a move for.

No! Soft euro center! Why do hawk fans love average centers so much?

What's average about a guy that is a 10/10/2 at 7' and barely 22 years old? Give him 35 mpg instead of the 27 he is getting in Golden State and actually give him a chance to do something beside catching rebounds off of 3pt shots and you will most likely see a lot of improvement like in his final 5 games when he got 35 mpg. If you get anything close to a guy that gets 15/16/2 then that is FAR ABOVE average.

If someone wouldn't do Smith for Biedrins there is no reason for them to change their mind by adding Pietrus. He is just a role player. I decline this deal everyday of the week. Josh Smith has earned enough respect around the league to bring us a big time player if we decide to go in a different direction. I'd expect a player AT LEAST on the level of Elton Brand in return.

I would do it. Biedrins is the only player I would trade Smoove straight up for. He is a very good rebounder, good defender and a very good shot blocker. With him and Horford the interior defense improves. Horford plays his natural position at PF. Rebounding for the Hawks would see an huge improvement.

Not to mention Biedrins shoots 60% from the field and will stay down in the paint where he belongs. He isn't the game changer that Smoove is on either end of the floor, but he is far more consistent and should help to organize our offense and defense a little more because there wouldn't be as much freelancing going on as there is with Smoove.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I would do it. Biedrins is the only player I would trade Smoove straight up for. He is a very good rebounder

Do you think that their style of play has something to do with his rebounding numbers? i.e. probably 10-15% more offensive posessions per game than the Hawks.

I never said it was even, but it's probably the closest that we can get to getting equal value for Smith.

Smith isn't an 18/8/3 any more than Biedrins is a 10/10/2. Given equal minutes there stats would be a lot closer in blocks and points and Biedrins would have an enormous rebounding advantage as demonstrated by when he actually gets starters minutes.

It's not even--but they DONT play the same position. Dolfan, I broached this subject months ago in a possibility of a Smoove-for-Biedrins swap and was largely ignored. If there are no trade restrictions here (I'm assuming one or both of the cats would have to be signed before a trade could go through), it would mean several things:

1. Horford, who 99.9% of the world believes is a natural PF, gets to have his wish at the 4.

2. We bring in a consistent, young legit Center to man the 5 spot.

3. Biedrins is only 22 years old, consistent, and puts up the aforementioned 10/10/2.

4. Our interior defense improves. I hate when people suggest playing Horford and Zaza on the court together. Why? Because the interior defense would be so bad. Zaza doesnt play defense, but Biedrins certainly will. We dont need a Shaq [in his prime], we just needs someone who will play good or better defense--especially in the paint. Zaza doesnt do it, Horford will get better at it, but Biedrins already does.

5. Did I mention he is only 22? He will get better just like most young guys. But to put up those number already at his age, at one of the toughest positions in the NBA, is a good sign.

6. We lose Smoove, but get all of 1-5.

People need to look at the big picture instead of "OMFGZ WE WONT HAVES SMOOVE AS ICE ANYMORE!!!!11!"

If the money Philly or any other team approaches the near outrageous realm, then you have to consider deals like this. Until then, we should continue to make sure signing Smith to a decent contract is priority number one.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I never said it was even, but it's probably the closest that we can get to getting equal value for Smith.

Smith isn't an 18/8/3 any more than Biedrins is a 10/10/2. Given equal minutes there stats would be a lot closer in blocks and points and Biedrins would have an enormous rebounding advantage as demonstrated by when he actually gets starters minutes.

1st of all there is a reason certain players don't play more. Secondly, Smith rebounding numbers might be more inflated in Golden State's system because of how the floor is spread. Whereas Biedrins might not get as many rebounds in our system. Its not a good trade believe me.

People talk about balancing the roster by just getting a taller player at center but it just doesn't work like that! The combo of Horfort and Biedrins will not get any more rebounds, blocks shots, defensive stops, or points than the combination of Horfort and Smith.

I think the reason it might have gotten ignored is that there were rumors that BK wanted Biedrins/1st for Smith last year and people got pissed about it.

It's tough to imagine moving Smoove, especially considering we have already trade Nique in the past and Smoove has a similar cult following but it's not like we are talking about moving him for some scrub.

He doesn't get more minutes because Nelly is an idiot. Every time the kid gets consistent quality minutes he puts up great numbers.

It's not a good trade believe me? WTF kind of argument is that?

Smith would probably get less rebounds in Golden States system because he would be out there jacking up 3's. Most 3pt misses tend to be perimeter rebounds so it's more likely that Biedrins rebound numbers would increase with Atlanta.

The Horford/Biedrins combo would most certainly match (or be damn close to) the combo of Horford/Smith but the big difference is that we would be a lot more balance because Biedrins would stay in the paint where he belongs. No worries about him moving out to jack up 3's. Sure we won't have as many "exciting" plays but we will be a lot more fundamentally sound.

Quote:

Why would Golden State want Smith? They already have similar players in Brandan Wright and now Anthony Randolph - hyper-athletic tweener forwards.

That being said, I wouldn't do the deal if I am Sund. Now if the Lakers wanted to trade a healthy Andrew Bynum then I am all ears - they can have their pick of anyone on the Hawks roster except JJ.