• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Thank God. Elton Brand opts out.

mrhonline

Quote:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/n...0,1092404.story

A/S, you've been given a reprieve for not offering Smith more money last year.

Now get Smith inked TOMORROW.

This is great news for us and bad news for Smoove.

If philly does sign Brand though, I think they will be dead even with Orlando as far as talent goes. Brand might even put them a step ahead of the Magic now.

Quote:

Bad decision by Brand because there is no way he will get over 16 million from anyone unless he re-signs with the Clippers.

A 5 year $70 million deal might look a lot better than a 1 yr 16 million deal for a guy who just had a season ending injury.

• Premium Member

I don't think Brand is honestly looking for more money... that way. I think he wants a longer contract now rather than play another season and somebody find that his skills may have diminished...

Quote:

Bad decision by Brand because there is no way he will get over 16 million from anyone unless he re-signs with the Clippers.

Really?

Watch the teams scramble to clear room for Brand . . . or flat out not re-sign some of their young talent.

If you're a team like . . I don't know . . ATLANTA . . would a squad of . . .

Bibby

JJ

Marvin

Brand

Horford

. . . look enticng to you?

He's the big man with the back to the basket skillset that everyone wants around here. He's also the perfect guy for Horford to pattern his game after.

The only thing Smith does better than Brand, is block shots and run the floor. Everything else Brand does better.

I don't think Elton is worried about how much he'll make next year, over how much he can make over the next 3 - 4 years, since NBA money is guaranteed. A 4 yr - 60 million deal probably gets Elton. He's a guy that I would definitely go after and sacrifice Smith in the process.

If Memphis weren't in such bad financial shape, I'd hope they would go after a guy like that.

Conley

Mayo

Gay

Brand

Marc Gasol

But don't be surprised if teams will go after Brand, before they re-signed some of their young guys.

Or what about this squad . . .

Felton

J-Rich

Wallace

Brand

Mohammad

( while letting Okafor possibly walk ) . . .I know Larry Brown would definitely like that squad.

But if Philly gets him . . .

Miller

Iggy

Young

Brand

Dalembert

. . . damn . . .they definitely stay ahead of us in the East.

• Premium Member

BTW, I don't think Brand opting out is any saving grace for ASG. Philly can't afford his price anyway. I think he opted out to force more years out of LAC. Moreover, it could lead to a SNT to a team of his choice. I would not be surprised to see him try to force a move to NY or NJ. LAC needs a Vet PG.. maybe he forces them to trade him for Randolph and Nate Robinson.

Best Case is that he forces them to trade him for Andre Miller...

Everybody walks away happy.

• Moderators

Quote:

The Clips has had to be a dead end street for him. Gotta wonder that he wants a better chance at getting to the playoffs and finals. Clips have a terrible rep.

I think this is a real factor, too. I'd take a few million less in order to feel like my career had some meaning other than sucking down the living death that is playing for the Clippers.