• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How much money do we really have?

JTB

THE HAWKS SAY THAT THEY CAN MATCH ANY OFFER PHILLY THROWS AT SMITH BUT IS THIS 100% TRUE, I ASK BECAUSE THE HAWKS HAVE NOT MENTIONED ANYTHING ABOUT MONEY LIKE THESE OTHER TEAMS. SO HOW MUCH DO WE REALLY HAVE AND IS IT REALLY POSSIBLE TO SIGN BOTH JOSHES BACK? IN OTHER WORDS CAN WE REALLY GIVE J SMOOVE ATLEAST A 70M CONTRACT AND SIGN CHILDRESS TO 6M?

It's true, they could match any offer for Smith and Chill.

What most of us assume though, is that the owners aren't wanting to go past the Luxury Tax amount. If they do, they would actually have to pay the league dollar for dollar whatever amount we went over the luxury tax.

If we're $50 over, we have to pay the league $50. If we're 5 million over, we pay the league 5 million.

I've been a little different than most, and actually think that ownership may indeed be willing to go a little over the luxury tax amount, in order to re-sign both Smith and Childress.

OP: Eh, why are you shouting?

Amyway, everything northcyde said is correct, aside from his opinion piece regarding what he thinks ownership will do pertaining to the luxury tax. There is no way in hell I believe the ASG, with their cheap moves to date (Bibby aside, but we were pretty much forced to get a PG by then), will go over the luxury tax threshold until the ownership court battle is resolved next year (reports say in Feb '09). If we were CLEARLY on the cusp of winning it all in a year, then maybe. But I just dont see it happening just yet. Besides, I dont think they will need to cross that threshold to retain both Joshes--but if they wanted more quality vets aside from bare vet minimum players to round out our bench, then yes, they would likely have to.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It's true, they could match any offer for Smith and Chill.

What most of us assume though, is that the owners aren't wanting to go past the Luxury Tax amount. If they do, they would actually have to pay the league dollar for dollar whatever amount we went over the luxury tax.

If we're $50 over, we have to pay the league $50. If we're 5 million over, we pay the league 5 million.

I've been a little different than most, and actually think that ownership may indeed be willing to go a little over the luxury tax amount, in order to re-sign both Smith and Childress.

I think they should be willing to go over the Luxury tax cap too. In fact, they get paid an Escrow at the end of the year that might cover their LC losses. I think however, ASG likes the profit from the Escrow and are unwilling to part with that to keep FREE agents.

The ASG isn't about to pass up $2.5M or whatever the payout amount will be next year to go slightly over the cap. Say the cap is $70M this year (since it hasn't been decided yet). If the Hawks have a payroll after the trade deadline of exactly $70M, they participate equally with all the other clubs that didn't go over the cap, which last year was worth $2.5M/team. If their payroll is $70,000,001, they pay out $1 to the league and do not participate in the cap distribution that all the other clubs under the cap participate in. Unless the team is really vying for a championship THIS YEAR, it make s little financial sense to go over the cap from an ownership stanpoint.

I'm still working on being able to selectively replace people's avatars with a picture of their least favorite Hawk player or coach and when that happens that will be the best feature ever! j/k calm down Diesel no pics of Marvin for you!

Short answer....Around $18 mill before we hit the presumed luxury tax threshold. The luxury tax is not yet known so we can only give educated guesses right now based on last year's cap and the previous annual percentage increases.

With the NBA BOOMING last season many hope it increases slightly more then it has in the past.

$11 mill for Smoove and $7 mill to Chillz would cripple us. A salary cap trade may then have to be made to make room to fill out the other roster spots.......or Chillz is signed and traded (as a BYC) for 1/2 his salary to avoid the luxury tax.....or worse yet, Chillz leaves without and offer to avoid the tax.