• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Diop back to the Mavs for 6 mill a year

NJHAWK

Not that we would have had money left for him anyway. He got their full mid level exemption. I told a few of you who were saying he would only get 2 or 3 mill a year that you were all crazy. Not that he is worth 6 mill but in this league size matters. Youth size and potential that is.

Quote:

I don't think he is worth that amount or even close to it, but I will definitely admit that I was wrong about what he would get.

I with you on that one. I don't think he is worth that much either but Cuban will pay to get what he wants.

• Admin

way overpaid. Especially with an already overpaid Dampier.

He plays 20 mins a game and although he brings a bit of a defensive presence he should have only gotten 2 - 3 million.

The market is way out of control.

Quote:

You can find Childress type players at 2-3 mill/yr.

No you can't. Chill does everything for this team, except shoot the ball well from the perimeter. He can play 3 positions on the floor, and is an exceptional athlete, offensive rebounder, and hustle guy.

The same reason people want Smith, is the same reason they would pay lesser money for a glue guy like Chill as a starter or as a 6th man off the bench.

Chill's value around the league is closer to a Battier, than it is to a James Jones. And Lord knows you just can't find a Battier on the side of the NBA road.

While very few of us would clamor for Childress to leave, if he's getting $8 million/year offers, you have to consider other options. That's a little rich for a 'glue guy' coming off the bench, especially considering how strapped this team is financially. And I know its 'irrelevent' to some but the 6th pick overall shouldn't be relegated to being a glue guy in the first place; that's what 2nd/3rd tier free agents and mid-level draft picks are for.

Just my opinion.

Quote:

While very few of us would clamor for Childress to leave, if he's getting $8 million/year offers, you have to consider other options. That's a little rich for a 'glue guy' coming off the bench, especially considering how strapped this team is financially. And I know its 'irrelevent' to some but the 6th pick overall shouldn't be relegated to being a glue guy in the first place; that's what 2nd/3rd tier free agents and mid-level draft picks are for.

Just my opinion.

That 6th pick would be our starting SF, if Knight chooses Paul over Marvin, but that's besides the point.

And I actually agree that 8 million is a little too rich for Chill.

But here's a little nugget about Chill.

Someone on this board, i forget who, references a stat called "win score" or "win shares" as a decent evaulator of how the play of a particular player translates into wins and losses for his team.

Guess who has the highest win score on the team, according to basketball-reference.com?

Josh Childress.

In fact, he and Horford are the ONLY Hawks with a win score/share higher than their loss score/share.

And when you look at the Hawks for the past 3 seasons, Chill has perennially had a win score higher than his loss score.

Conversely, JJ and Josh Smith have never had a positive win/loss score.

Quote:

Quote:

Just my opinion.

That 6th pick would be our starting SF, if Knight chooses Paul over Marvin, but that's besides the point.

And I actually agree that 8 million is a little too rich for Chill.

But here's a little nugget about Chill.

Someone on this board, i forget who, references a stat called "win score" or "win shares" as a decent evaulator of how the play of a particular player translates into wins and losses for his team.

Guess who has the highest win score on the team, according to basketball-reference.com?

Josh Childress.

In fact, he and Horford are the ONLY Hawks with a win score/share higher than their loss score/share.

And when you look at the Hawks for the past 3 seasons, Chill has perennially had a win score higher than his loss score.

Conversely, JJ and Josh Smith have never had a positive win/loss score.

That 6th pick should have been used on Luol Deng or AI2 instead of Chillz but just like with the Marvin pick we can't change that. We should be happy that neither one of them turned out to be a bust though.

I agree with Exodus on this one... most of his points are valid for Childress. The only position he should be playing is the SF position... it's just that Woody think he can play other position well... which we all know he is below average at.

I'd actually would take Jarvis Hayes or James Jones over Childress... they would demand ~4 mill/yr I'd say. And to say Childress has the similar value as Battier around the league is a bit too extreme... Battier is far superior defensive player and doesn't get intimidate at attempting a shot.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'd actually would take Jarvis Hayes or James Jones over Childress... they would demand ~4 mill/yr I'd say.

While I'd prefer Childress, Jones and Hayes are better fits both on the court and financially.

It wouldn't surprise me for that to be the Hawks' plan all along - use the Smith contract as an excuse to let Childress go for a shooter.