• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk...

Diesel

Quote:

1. In Smith eyes, the main thing for him should be the cap hit... At the end of the Atlanta contract.. How is it perceived? Where can Smith's extension start at 18 or at 14? Same question for the Philly contract.?

Why would Smith or any player be worried about the cap hit? That's the team's concern. Smith is only worried about how he will get paid and how much.

As for which contract he'd prefer, it's obviously the Philly contract. Forget the fact that he'll make 3 million more in year 1. It's the fact that he can get 45% of that year 1 payment right off the bat, that is the kicker for most players in his situation. It's like the lottery scenario I laid out yesterday. People take the cash option to get that money right away. He'd go from getting monthly checks, to a 9 million payment right from the start.

Quote:

2. Again. For the Spirit... a 5 yr 74-75 Million dollar deal is going to be the same for the spirit whichever way it's presented.. .However, they should be pleased as punch if Smoove would sign it because in 2013... Smoove's only making 13 Million instead of 17 million. That's 4 more million that they can spend elsewhere.

As long as ASG is not over the luxury cap this year, then frontloading like b... makes a lot of sense. They will have to resign Horf and they will have to resign JJ and they might resign Acie as well.

Well unfortunately for us, the ATL frontloaded deal I laid out, would put us in a serious bind not only to re-sign Chill, but also to fill out the rest of the roster. No way we could keep from going over the luxury tax in that scenario. In the ATL contract, the cap hit will be far greater than in the Philly contract in the beginning of the deal.

I think you're trying to make out like there is no difference in the contracts, when it's actually a big difference in the short term, especially in a situation like ours. And if you've noticed, only the real desperate teams offer the lump sum type of signing bonus at the beginning of a deal. We were desperate to get JJ, and i guess Philly is desperate to get Smoove. I bet Chill won't get a contract with a signing bonus though.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

1. In Smith eyes, the main thing for him should be the cap hit... At the end of the Atlanta contract.. How is it perceived? Where can Smith's extension start at 18 or at 14? Same question for the Philly contract.?

For Josh, he would have a frontloaded contract in the sense of a signing bonus. So his next contract would start at the caphit of the last year on the contract, not what his base salary is.

Quote:

Quote:

Diesel, c'mon man - you know better than this. Money now is infinitely more expensive than money 5 years from now. Anytime you can defer making a payment a company will do so
(Taking the NBA and the salary cap out of the picture).
Hell, I used to work for a company that purposely made late payments on invoices because even with the late charges we came out ahead after calculating the interest accrued on the payment.

It makes a huge difference whether an owner has to pay 25million up front, or whether he can spread 15 million of that over 5 years.

Mudderfudder. I was going to talk about the fact that you can't take the salary cap out of the discussion for the sake of business... however, I will go a different way with this.

You're still going to have to pay the money. So this is the deal... Pay it. You will have more money later. Pay it now.

Bottom line. I don't know about you, but I have paid up front for service before. When you go to the doctor for a routine visit, he wants your copay. Most of the time, he doesn't say "i'll bill you.". So what do you do... you go to the doctors office with your copay. Because whatever the reason, when you go to the doctor, you need his services.

Well, we need Smoove's services. The good thing about signing him to a bonus is that we can pay him up front and then for the owners they pay him less and less each year (although there's no cap affect).

Yes, and you understand that the co-pay is but a small portion of what the Doctor actually charges for his services and the rest is paid by the insurance company only after they have exhausted the reimbursement process. Any doctor will tell you they'd rather have their money upfront (like a player) but the insurance company likes to wait as long as they are allowed before payment (like the owners).

It all goes back to capital, whats on hand, and what the ultimate cost will be. 5 million today is worth more than 5 million in 5 years.

As an owner you don't want large up front expenditures. It reduces your capital and as such your ability to make moves in the near future.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Since Larry Coon is not a good enough source for this discussion, here is the relevant portion of the CBA:

Why is Larry Coon insufficient? He actually gets a copy of the CBA.

Diesel, my advice would be to post this on RealGM's CBA board, and ask guys like FGump and Dunkenstein for clarification.

I've also had success emailing Larry Coon, too.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Since Larry Coon is not a good enough source for this discussion, here is the relevant portion of the CBA:

Why is Larry Coon insufficient? He actually gets a copy of the CBA.

Diesel, my advice would be to post this on RealGM's CBA board, and ask guys like FGump and Dunkenstein for clarification.

I've also had success emailing Larry Coon, too.

Not good enough for D. Coon is definitely good enough for me.

Quote:

2) Proration:
Any signing bonus contained in a Player Contract shall be allocated over the number of Salary Cap Years
(or over the then-current and any remaining Salary Cap Years in the case of a signing bonus described in Section 3(b)(1)(iii) above) covered by such Contract in proportion to the percentage of Base Compensation in each such Salary Cap Year that, at the time of allocation, is protected for lack of skill;

Hopefully this will end Diesel's nonsense.

Quote:

He'll never understand, it's hopeless.

It sounds like the Diesel needs to switch on over to unleaded. I think Ex. and co are right; if Diesel would read the complete post it might help. R-E-A-D-I-N-G C-O-M-P-R-E-H-E-N-S-I-O-N.

I don't know too much 'bout the finance side of ball though.

BTW Diesel; how exactly did you come to so damned many posts?