• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

My Penny on....

jaywalker72

Josh Childress

People that have read my stuff over the years know that I feel two things about Josh Childress:

1. That he is a Shane Battier type glue guy who does many things very efficiently and is present/needed on any kind of winning team.

2. That he probably does not warrant a starting SG spot on a team.

I think that, over the last 3 seasons, Chilldress has proven that a starting spot on a team isn't above him, but it has to be a team that regards Childress as a supplementary player on that end, loose balls and spot up 3's type roles.

It is in that role that Josh excels and that's why teams have been interested in him for the past couple of seasons (especially that he has established himself as a high percentage/efficiency player).

I have felt that his pending free agency has always been the more interesting one of the two Joshes this postseason for another couple of reasons.

1. Because of his price point (considerably less than Smith's), more teams would be interested, thereby increasing the intrigue.

2. I never felt that the Hawks really understood his value throughout the league and would let him go, even at the exception level (which most team would offer).

This is why I wanted to talk to him during my only trip into Philips this year. The conversation did not surprise me, as he is such a solid guy and very honest about what he wants.

He wants to play. Not just play 37 minutes one night, and then 17 the next. He wants a solid role on a team that includes consistent starters minutes.

Quote:

“To be honest, the opportunity to play will be important,” says Childress about what he would be looking for as a free agent. “That’s something that will be my main factor—where I can play the most.”

While it would be a risk, unless Childress finds a place where he can feel like he is getting his number one priority, consistent starter's minutes, I don't know if he'll sign any tender or sign and trade. If he plays out his option, he finds himself free to choose wherever he wants to play, but it means that he risks injury AND maybe not finding any place that will offer what he wants (apart from money).

The Hawks seem intent now on signing him (amazing how that coin in your pocket gets a little shinier when others are interested in taking it off your hands), which is good, because I believe the Hawks are better with Childress on the floor, but would the Hawks hold the line if, say, a legitimate center were offered as part of a S-N-T?

All of which makes the Childress RFA very interesting and considerably more unpredictable than the market setting FA tour that the "other" Josh has embarked on.

And that's my penny on the matter---if it's even worth that.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Quote:

but would the Hawks hold the line if, say, a legitimate center were offered as part of a S-N-T?

I can't disagree with anything in your post, and the quoted part is something a select few of us have been hinting at for months.

It seems very possible that a S&T could net the Hawks some quality depth at positions/skill sets they're in greater need of. I have no problem with Childress returning, but I certainly hope the Hawks explore all options.

Quote:

“To be honest, the opportunity to play will be important,” says Childress about what he would be looking for as a free agent. “That’s something that will be my main factor—where I can play the most.”

I like this post. All of our attention has been focused on Smoove even though most of us think we will match all offers for him. (exception may be if the Warriors lose out on Brand; then get stupid and offer Smoove the max).

Chilz is another story though. What teams can use him as a starter?

H,

If Iggy leaves Philly, then there is no doubt the Sixers would see Chill as a prime candidate to fill that vacated "2" spot.

Personally, without other offensive options in PHL, Chill would not be a good fit there, but the playing time would be there as would the money.

• Premium Member

The three teams that make the most sense are: Phoenix, New Orleans, and Toronto.

All three teams shot well from the perimeter (so they could absorb Chill's lack of range) and have solid minutes for him.

Your trade options for those three teams would be something like this:

1. Phoenix - Raja Bell -or- Leandro Barbosa

2. New Orleans - filler + Hilton Armstrong

3. Toronto - a wing (Parker, Moon, or Kapono) + filler

• Premium Member

Quote:

H,

If Iggy leaves Philly, then there is no doubt the Sixers would see Chill as a prime candidate to fill that vacated "2" spot.

Personally, without other offensive options in PHL, Chill would not be a good fit there, but the playing time would be there as would the money.

Jay, I think the backup plan if Smith doesn't go to Philly is to trade for Marion or Sheed. If those fail too, they would move Young to the 4.

Crazy, but possible.

Quote:

H,

Philly would jump on Chilz if they lose Iggy; but I think he would be a better fit on a more established playoff team (this has already been mentioned in another thread; but I agree with it 100%).

Quote:

The three teams that make the most sense are: Phoenix, New Orleans, and Toronto.

All three teams shot well from the perimeter (so they could absorb Chill's lack of range) and have solid minutes for him.

Your trade options for those three teams would be something like this:

1. Phoenix - Raja Bell -or- Leandro Barbosa

2. New Orleans - filler + Hilton Armstrong

3. Toronto - a wing (Parker, Moon, or Kapono) + filler

I like options 1 and 2 the best. With the versatility we have in this rotation: Marvin, Smoove, Horford, and ZaZa, I would prefer another big or a shooter.

If we could get Barbosa for Chill we'd have to consider that. Our backcourt would be awfully similar to what Portland has built in Bayless/Roy from what I understand. The thing with Barbosa is he is obviously not really a PG but he can score with the best in the league. He is long and quick enough to guard most PG's. To be honest, I'd rather keep Chill and move Marvin for Barbosa. Move Bibby for expiring veterans (vet wing and a vet big) + a pick. Have a 3 guard rotation of Barbosa/Joe/Law.

I think Chill could bring us an interesting player if we do a SNT, but we have to recognize that when he comes in it is a transition phase for the team. The rotations begin and he comes on as a leader during that transition. His weakness is his shot, but he is one of the most consistent palyers we have that goes inside and is not to mix it up. He consistently gets points in stick backs and that's critical.

Referring to D's post re chemestry, I think one of his most valuable assets he brings to the team is in this area. Like the binder in the paint.

• Premium Member

Quote:

H,

Jay, always enjoy your opionions because they are honest! Plus you have a good deal of knowledge about each Hawks player and can talk intelligent about their strengths and weaknesses. So what do you think about all of the Marvin hate on this message board?

• Premium Member

Childress is seriously undervalued around here. I really like his versatility. His versatility was one of the reasons why Woodson was able to shorten up the rotation this season. I'm not saying that I agree with Woodson's decision but that speaks volumes about the kind of player Childress is. If we lose him, we'll have to pick up a guy or guys who can replace that on the floor. That effort around the baseline and under the boards is not something just any player brings to the table.

• Premium Member

Quote:

lack of range?

chillz is money from 3pt...he just has to be open...if he goes to a team that has an actual offense, he will be amongst league leaders in 3pters

How's Marge? And Bart and Lisa?

Quote:

Childress is seriously undervalued around here. I really like his versatility. His versatility was one of the reasons why Woodson was able to shorten up the rotation this season. I'm not saying that I agree with Woodson's decision but that speaks volumes about the kind of player Childress is. If we lose him, we'll have to pick up a guy or guys who can replace that on the floor. That effort around the baseline and under the boards is not something just any player brings to the table.

Exactly.

In that short rotation, he'd play everything from PG to SF. And because of that, it made it difficult at times for people to match up with us.

You get rid of him, and you'd possibly have to replace him with 2 guys, just to make up for what he brings to the table. Those 2 guys could very well be more beneficial to us than Chill by himself. But it does illustrate just how good of a player the guy is.

Some people compare him to a poor man's Shawn Marion. That's probably a good description for him.

Guest Walter

At the rate marginal players like Diop and Duhon are getting MLE money, we can expect better players like Childress to cost a few more pennies. With the Bibby deal/luxury tax cutting off our money to resign, Childress is a goner IMO.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

At the rate marginal players like Diop and Duhon are getting MLE money, we can expect better players like Childress to cost a few more pennies. With the Bibby deal/luxury tax cutting off our money to resign, Childress is a goner IMO.

W

IF we can resign Smoove starting at 12 Million or less, we would still have about 7 to 8 million to resign Chillz before the LCT.

I suppose that signing the Joshes would mean that we would spend minimum money to fill out our roster. However, I can see us trying to finish a trade with either Marvin, Bibby, or Zaza to bring in a player that can help in a needed area. Probably a Vet Center.