• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

In the meantime … (Sekou blog- Acie,Summer League(

Cwell

Quote:

Quote:

(Here`s a bball hint by the way -- 7-foot Chinese dudes who cant defend athletic black dudes CANT SUCCEED IN THE NBA. That is why Yi will never be `unstoppable...

Yao much?

W ]

That has nothing to do with racism. Anybody who cant defend ATHELTIC NBA players is a liability in the NBA. And Yao was (and is) often a LIABILITY to Houston for that very reason.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your response has nothing to do with that. As for his game, he HAS improved every year and he is only going to get better as he gains more experience and gets stronger.

You say he can't create off the dribble. His jab step J is VERY effective and the reason it is effective is because his opponents respect his ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the basket. If they didn't, they would just play him to take the J. At any rate, he can create off the dribble as well as, if not better than, Smoove or Chillz PLUS he can actually make a midrange J.

You say he only attempted 10 3's. While it would be GREAT if he can extend his range, his ability to CONSISTENTLY knock down the midrange J is important to this team. In addition, I would rather that he NOT take a shot he is not comfortable with than to see him just jack it up there like Smoove.

You say he barrels into his defender when driving to the basket. He does but he also gets fouled a lot when he does it and he makes his free throws. Its not like he gets called for THAT many charges as he averaged only 2.8 PFs per game last year.

You say his foot speed is slow. Actually, it isn't slow AT ALL for a 6'9" 230 lb guy. He's certainly not as quick as SFs like Marion or Iggy but he more than holds his own against most SFs in the speed dept. As for the hook shot, I think it is a nice addition to his offensive repertoire and I hope to see more of it this year.

You say he can't post up. I say his post game is a work im progress but I have seen signs of improvement in the form of the aforementioned jump hook and in the form of a nice fade away J on the baseline. Hopefully, he will keep working on it and it will get even better as he gets stronger.

You say his D is overrated. I don't think so. He is no defensive stopper but he is an above average defender. He knows where to be both as an individual defender and team defender and he rarely gets caught out of position. He usually does a good job of contesting shots without fouling.

You say that stats don't please you as a fan and you list things that I assume WOULD please you. Funny thing is, neither of the other two primary SF options on the roster (Chillz and Smoove) can consistently win against their defender man to man, neither is a threat from beyond the arc and neither is proficient in the low post.

Bottom line, I see a LOT of potential in Marvin and you don't. That's fine. We'll see who is right in due time.

Quote:

Your response has nothing to do with that. As for his game, he HAS improved every year and he is only going to get better as he gains more experience and gets stronger.

You say he can't create off the dribble. His jab step J is VERY effective and the reason it is effective is because his opponents respect his ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the basket. If they didn't, they would just play him to take the J. At any rate, he can create off the dribble as well as, if not better than, Smoove or Chillz PLUS he can actually make a midrange J.

You say he only attempted 10 3's. While it would be GREAT if he can extend his range, his ability to CONSISTENTLY knock down the midrange J is important to this team. In addition, I would rather that he NOT take a shot he is not comfortable with than to see him just jack it up there like Smoove.

You say he barrels into his defender when driving to the basket. He does but he also gets fouled a lot when he does it and he makes his free throws. Its not like he gets called for THAT many charges as he averaged only 2.8 PFs per game last year.

You say his foot speed is slow. Actually, it isn't slow AT ALL for a 6'9" 230 lb guy. He's certainly not as quick as SFs like Marion or Iggy but he more than holds his own against most SFs in the speed dept. As for the hook shot, I think it is a nice addition to his offensive repertoire and I hope to see more of it this year.

You say he can't post up. I say his post game is a work im progress but I have seen signs of improvement in the form of the aforementioned jump hook and in the form of a nice fade away J on the baseline. Hopefully, he will keep working on it and it will get even better as he gets stronger.

You say his D is overrated. I don't think so. He is no defensive stopper but he is an above average defender. He knows where to be both as an individual defender and team defender and he rarely gets caught out of position. He usually does a good job of contesting shots without fouling.

You say that stats don't please you as a fan and you list things that I assume WOULD please you. Funny thing is, neither of the other two primary SF options on the roster (Chillz and Smoove) can consistently win against their defender man to man, neither is a threat from beyond the arc and neither is proficient in the low post.

Bottom line, I see a LOT of potential in Marvin and you don't. That's fine. We'll see who is right in due time.

Agreed we will see. You voiced your opinion as did I. Thats the purpose for me coming to this board.

Hunter, Bennett, and Hubbard are the guys that stand out to me after checking backgrounds. I like the idea of looking at small school guys (who are rookies) who have put up big numbers. More risk/reward with those guys compared with the dudes who have bouncing around from camp to camp for a couple of years.

Marvin shot 50% FG in the first 2 months of the season to get us really rolling. And he shot 49% FG in those critical last 2 months of the season when we made our playoff push.

Yet, people dog him like he's Dion Glover or somebody.

They get mad because Marvin is content to play his role on the team. But they also get mad when Smith, Lue and Salim used to act like they were THE star player on the floor, and tried to do too much.

It's hilarious.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Marvin shot 50% FG in the first 2 months of the season to get us really rolling.
And he shot 49% FG in those critical last 2 months of the season when we made our playoff push.

Yet, people dog him like he's Dion Glover or somebody.

They get mad because Marvin is content to play his role on the team. But they also get mad when Smith, Lue and Salim used to act like they were THE star player on the floor, and tried to do too much.

It's hilarious.

CORRECTION...

He shot 49% in March. He shot 43 and 35% in Jan and Feb.

In March, we didn't win Many games. Moreover, we can't play NY every game Northcyde.

Marvin is not a difference maker!

Not an impact player.

Why do you still try to convince people that he is.

Yesterday you said he was average. Stick to that!

Quote:

Dude, this is what I know. I know that Marvin showed up to work out for the Hawks and Bucks OUT OF SHAPE.. by his own admission.

I know that last year Marvin said that he didn't really do anything basketball related and it took Fizdale to call his sorry ass up and tell him what he needs to work on.

atlien...

Do you have a JOB??

Do you work?

If somebody gave you to make 5 Million dollars per year doing your job..and More if you did your job Better... Wouldn't you bust your ass figuring out how to improve what you're doing? Would it take your supervisor calling you telling you what you need to do before you decided that you were going to get off your lazy ass and improve yourself? Would you even waste your time losing focus before you tried to improve yourself?? All Marvin's life, he has been a Bench riding, underachieving joker. His HS team wasn't a winning team.

Wait...somebody is going to pay me 5 mil a year to do my job and more if I bust my ass? Hell, I'll take the 5 mil.

Look people...go back and read the reasons D thought Marv should have been doing more last offseason. You will more than likely find Horf does not fit into any of those reasons. I don't agree with most of D's opinions but he's not being hypocritical on this one.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If it were up to you and Walter, we'd have freakin Chairman Yi instead! Don't think we forget Mr. 250,000 posts.

...and Yi if it were me (although if we'd drafted these guys, Iggy, or Paul I would have been less inclined to draft Yi and more inclined to draft Horford). I'll take that record to the bank as it only lends more, not less credibility to my positions. Also, Yi might be unstappable in 2-3 years.

W

lol at Yi being unstoppable in 2-3 years

The bigger question is will he return to the starting line-up?

Quote:

His jab step J is VERY effective and the reason it is effective is because his opponents respect his ability to put the ball on the floor
and get to the basket
. At any rate, he can create off the dribble as well as, if not better than, Smoove

WTF?!?! Yeah he has a VERY quick first step but there is more to creating off the dribble than a first step. You have to actually have a move when you beat your man and not rely on the ref every time. Better than Smoove?!?! Laughable. Smoove can actually finish around the basket something Marvin isn't even close to being able to do.

Look defend Marv all you want but don't come up with sh*t to try and prove a point. Marv finishing around the basket is one of his biggest weaknesses that even most Marv supporters would agree with.

Marvin isn't Dion Glover but what he is isn't good enough to be a starting SF for this team. You can say he plays within himself and doesn't take three point shots but that is what this team needs. He isn't as good as Smoove at creating his own shot. Not even close IMO. With the ball in his hands he is no threat. Wide open on the wing he is deadly. A player who plays off others and couldn't take over if necessary is expendable. He plays a role but not catered to what this team needs. A T.Prince or R.Artest would be much better on this squad.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

(Here`s a bball hint by the way -- 7-foot Chinese dudes who cant defend athletic black dudes CANT SUCCEED IN THE NBA. That is why Yi will never be `unstoppable...

Yao much?

W ]

That has nothing to do with racism. Anybody who cant defend ATHELTIC NBA players is a liability in the NBA. And Yao was (and is) often a LIABILITY to Houston for that very reason.

Hmm? Not racism? Why use "chinese" and "black" if you meant "unathletic" and "athletic" (even though Yi is very athletic, just not adjusted to the NBA physicality)? Hard to see past the racism.

W

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yao much?

W ]

Hmm? Not racism? Why use "chinese" and "black" if you meant "unathletic" and "athletic" (even though Yi is very athletic, just not adjusted to the NBA physicality)? Hard to see past the racism.

W

LOL. Im mixed (white and black). My best friend is Chinese and my girlfriend is Japanese. Don't talk to me about racism. Honestly, I dont see why you spend so much time trying to misconstrue people's posts to "pwn" them. Is it really that satisfying? I come here to talk Hawks. You come here to win arguments (and occasionally obsess about Marvin William's personal life that you KNOW absolutely nothing about).

A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yao much?

W ]

W

LOL. Im mixed (white and black). My best friend is Chinese and my girlfriend is Japanese. Don't talk to me about racism. Honestly, I dont see why you spend so much time trying to misconstrue people's posts to "pwn" them. Is it really that satisfying? I come here to talk Hawks. You come here to win arguments (and occasionally obsess about Marvin William's personal life that you KNOW absolutely nothing about).

A

Ka-pow! atlien officially rules.

Quote:

CORRECTION...

In March, we didn't win Many games. Moreover, we can't play NY every game Northcyde.

Not an impact player.

LOL @ we didn win many games in March. I think we had a winning record in March, and won like 8 out of 10 at one point, after starting the month terribly.

And once again, the month of April must not exist in your calendar. The season didn't end in March.

You say he's not a difference maker, but isn't it a coincidence that our worst 2 months of basketball almost directly coincides with Marvin's struggles from the field? Outside of the shotty defense we were playing, we missed Marvin's consistency as an offensive player during that time.

Quote:

Marvin isn't Dion Glover but what he is isn't good enough to be a starting SF for this team. You can say he plays within himself and doesn't take three point shots but that is what this team needs. He isn't as good as Smoove at creating his own shot. Not even close IMO. With the ball in his hands he is no threat. Wide open on the wing he is deadly. A player who plays off others and couldn't take over if necessary is expendable. He plays a role but not catered to what this team needs. A T.Prince or R.Artest would be much better on this squad.

Guys like Artest and Prince are arguably top 10 in the league and maybe the 2 best defensive SFs in the game. Of course I, and everyone else, would rather have those 2 guys. That still doesn't make Marvin a bad player or a player that is expendible for the Hawks.

Not even close.

The kid is just underappreciated because people want him to justify being taken #2, and be a star right away. It's hard to appreciate his overall consitency as a player, when the expectations are so high for him.

He may not hit 3s, but the constant 21 footers he knocks down gives people like Smith enough room to operate when he drives to the hole. And the opponent knows that if Marvin is left open, that he's probably knocking down the shot.

He also can play the 4, especially when Horford and Smith are in foul trouble. If we don't get another big man in here, he'll have to play some PF again next season. That's something that is overlooked by just about everyone on this board.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

CORRECTION...

Not an impact player.

LOL @ we didn win many games in March. I think we had a winning record in March, and won like 8 out of 10 at one point, after starting the month terribly.

And once again, the month of April must not exist in your calendar. The season didn't end in March.

You say he's not a difference maker, but isn't it a coincidence that our worst 2 months of basketball almost directly coincides with Marvin's struggles from the field? Outside of the shotty defense we were playing, we missed Marvin's consistency as an offensive player during that time.

I meant to say In march we didn't win many games against good competition.... We can't play NY every game Northcyde.

That's how I meant to say that.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The kid is just
underappreciated
because people want him to justify being taken #2, and be a star right away. It's hard to appreciate his overall consitency as a player, when the expectations are so high for him.

It's unfortunate that we drafted Marvin where we did, when we did, how he did. Honestly, It's a shame that we traded away our whole franchise (Shareef, Big Dog, Theo, Wallace, JT, Walker) looking for the moment to draft a superstar and that pick happened to be Marvin. It's unfortunate that with 5 Sfs on the roster and NO PGs or C.. that our choice in 2005 was Marvin. It's unfortunate that even after we got Marvin, we traded away a guy like Al Horford to "make room" for Marvin. You feel that we should separate ourselves from what was given for Marvin and just appreciate what we have in Marvin. You say he's underappreciated.

I'm saying you're asking the impossible of Fans of the Hawks who have watched this thing happen.

Here's my analogy.

It's like a man who has saved money his whole life to buy a car. He wanted to buy the car with cash because he doesn't want debts. For 5 years, he put away about $8,000 for this car... It's going to be special. For 5 years, he rides the bus thinking about this car. For 5 years, he stop going out to dinner, stop going on vacations because he's going to buy this car. He finally gets $40,000... he goes out and get a brand new fully loaded Dodge Durango. The Durango was on special. The man has a farm and he really needed a truck, but he figures that the Durango will help him do the job. However, he comes to find out that the Durango doesn't have much towing capacity. The Durango gets pretty average to bad mileage. The ride in the Durango isn't that Smooth. The Durango is pretty on the outside but really can't carry everything it can carry. Over those 5 years, he had an old beat up small bed work truck that he was able to get for a good deal... He had been using that to do some of his work, but in order to use his Durango a little more, he gets rid of the work truck. He comes to find out that his Durango doesn't do more work than his small bed truck did. And people say to the man, well you should be happy. You're not walking anymore. You have that nice new Durango. The problem is that now he realizes what he could have gotten with his $40,000 and he knows that he could have done a lot better.

What I'm saying Northcyde is that you will never be able to separate the expectation of Marvin from what we sacrificed to get Marvin. Because we have sacrificed so much for Marvin it's impossible for us to be happy with average play and lackluster effort. For me personally, it pisses me off to know that it requires your coach to call you up to get you motivated to work on your game. Didn't you know that you were the franchise's choosen one?? I see that we could have gotten as much from an average Sf as we're getting from Marvin. And you tell me that we underappreciate Marvin? Maybe we have expectations and he's not living up to them!!