• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Smith to Sign Offer Sheet With Philly?

ncthompson11

Not sure how much this means but heres the article.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/534...s_are_released/

"ESPN.com is reporting that Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith could sign an offer sheet from the 76ers as soon as Wednesday, which would give Atlanta seven days to match it.

The Sixers are believed to be waiting for official salary-cap figures from the league to determine exactly how much money they can offer Smith. The figure is expected to be about $67 million over five years.

While the Warriors would have more money to offer if Elton Brand turns down Golden State in favor of staying with the Clippers, a report in Monday’s San Francisco Chronicle says “sources inside and outside the organization say he’s (Smith’s) not on the Warriors’ radar.”"

I'm sure we will wait close to the full 7 days to actually match it, but I doubt it will be long before we say that we are going to match it. At least we can tie up Philly's cap space for 7 days while we try to work on getting something done with Childress and not have to worry about Philly making him an offer.

How does that break down per year? Won't it start at about 11 the first year? If so I would say that he is close to worth that and if he improves this year as much as he did last year he will be worth every penny of that 13 million by the time that will be his yearly salary.

Its a huge raise but at least its not the 5 years 85 mill deal G.S. can offer. If IM the ASG I would not wait 7 days to match. I would match it 5 minutes after they get the fax with the offer sheet. Why not make them sweat you ask? BECAUSE MATCH IT BEFORE BELKIN GOES TO COURT AND GETS SOME LAME AYSS TEMPORARY INJUNCTION TO FUKK UP EVERYTHING, thats why.

Quote:

Its a huge raise but at least its not the 5 years 85 mill deal G.S. can offer. If IM the ASG I would not wait 7 days to match. I would match it 5 minutes after they get the fax with the offer sheet. Why not make them sweat you ask? BECAUSE MATCH IT BEFORE BELKIN GOES TO COURT AND GETS SOME LAME AYSS TEMPORARY INJUNCTION TO FUKK UP EVERYTHING, thats why.

If Smith does sign it i say the ASG should make them wait. Let Philly have their cap space tied up. I think Belkin isn't much of a factor in terms of resigning our own free agents.

The ASG probably cost themselves $1.5-2 million/yr by not getting this done last year but it isnt that big of a deal.

Quote:

If he doesn't pan out, you guys will be feeling abit differently in a few years. SOrt of like Speedy.

Speedy was an injury prone career backup before we got him. There is no similarity at all to Smith who has rarely been injured.

He doesn't even need to make a great improvement to be worth that deal. All he needs to do is cut down on his long jumpers, spend more time inside on offense and box out better on D and he will be a legit All-Star candidate.

Smoove was so underpaid for all these years that he deserves to get a little bit extra money from us.

If he signed a contract extension last year, wouldn't his big salary kick in last year? Didn't we actually save money by making him wait one year for big pay day and giving him practically nothing last year?

• Admin

Personally I think 13 a year is superstar money. Smith is far from a superstar. He is the third best player on our team. I hope his improvements continue (dribbling, decision making, man on man defense, post scoring, shooting) and he does not become complacent with a big contract.

Quote:

If he doesn't pan out, you guys will be feeling abit differently in a few years. SOrt of like Speedy.

I very rarely agree with you lol BUT your on the money here. Im just not 100% sold on Josh Smith. This is close to JJ money and he is not near as good as JJ yet and Im skeptical he will be that type of money player. The thing that makes me say yeah do this is his youth. In 2 years even if he is the same type of player he was this year he will still be very tradable and still be considered a guy with potential to get better. Now if he says he wants to play in Philly and doesnt want to come back here them I would be happy with a deal of Smoove and Speedy for Dalembert, Lou Williams Reggie Evans and a 1st round pick.

Quote:

Smoove was so underpaid for all these years

Yeah he outperformed his rookie contract by a mile.

Quote:

If he signed a contract extension last year, wouldn't his big salary kick in last year?

No it doesn't work like that. The rookie contract lasts for 4 years. Even if his signed last fall he would have still been on his rookie contract this past season.

i dont mind paying smith 13 mill a year even it is over paying. sometimes you got to overpay certain players if your team really needs him. thats just business

everybody here knows if we sign n trade smith philly aint gonna give iggy up unless iggy wants max and he and smith aint max players. so we be suckering ourselves...its nice to dream though.

c'mon, keep it real hawksquawk!