• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Smith to Sign Offer Sheet With Philly?

ncthompson11

Quote:

Smoove was so underpaid for all these years that he deserves to get a little bit extra money from us.

If he signed a contract extension last year, wouldn't his big salary kick in last year? Didn't we actually save money by making him wait one year for big pay day and giving him practically nothing last year?

No, if he signed an extension it would have kicked in this upcoming year. Last year no matter what happened he was slatted to make $2 millionsomething.

• Premium Member

67 million over 5 years would be great, and better than I thought we'd get honestly. But is anyone else still scared that the ASG will screw us over and not match? I've just been let down so many times as a Hawks fan that I can't help but be nervous about this.

Quote:

Personally I think 13 a year is superstar money. Smith is far from a superstar. He is the third best player on our team. I hope his improvements continue (dribbling, decision making, man on man defense, post scoring, shooting) and he does not become complacent with a big contract.

Man you are right on the money. That is what I have been saying from the start. You don't give a guy max level money and wonder if. It is a gamble that we can't take right now. Third best player on the team. As far as him being underpaid, he slipped in the draft because word got out that he was lazy and had an attitude. Too many question marks about him to give him this much money.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Man you are right on the money. That is what I have been saying from the start. You don't give a guy max level money and wonder if. It is a gamble that we can't take right now. Third best player on the team.

Uh, how is he our 3rd best player? Who is the 2nd? If you say Horford, you are wrong.

A gamble we can't take right now? A gamble we can't take is letting Smith go, because if that happens then JJ is GONE after next season. If we let Smith go, we don't have cap space to get someone else. We would have to completely start over in the rebuilding process, and wouldn't see the playoffs for another 5 years. If that's what you want, so be it.

Quote:

he slipped in the draft because word got out that
he was lazy
and had an attitude. Too many question marks about him to give him this much money.

It doesn't matter what his PREdraft writeup said FOUR years ago. What matters is what has happened since, and that is constant improvement every year, plus numerous reports of other players speaking of how hard he works in the offseason. JJ predicted his breakout season in 06-07, and before the 07-08 season he worked with Calvin Murphy and Hakeem in Houston during the summer. There is nothing to suggest that he is anything but extremely dedicated.

Quote:

Personally I think 13 a year is superstar money. Smith is far from a superstar. He is the third best player on our team. I hope his improvements continue (dribbling, decision making, man on man defense, post scoring, shooting) and he does not become complacent with a big contract.

I disagree 20 million per year is superstar money. I'd much rather give Josh Smith 13 million than say Gilbert Arenas 20 million. If we let Josh Smith go we will have no shot at picking up future free agents or resigning our own free agents. Why would JJ resign? Why would Marvin reup? or Horford? We will basically become the Memphis Grizzlies and will be ripe to become the future franchise in Seattle. You guys are so cheap considering it ain't even your money.

• Premium Member

Quote:

He is a little overpaid at 13 a year but it could have been a lot worse.

More than likely, the deal gets frontloaded... maybe to 20 Million in the first year for ASG to match.

If the Luxury tax goes to 75 however... 13.4 is not so bad. It leaves us with 10.5 Million to resign Chillz and go after some cheap free agents.

Here's to hoping we can get Chillz starting at 6.

• Premium Member

Quote:

67 million over 5 years would be great, and better than I thought we'd get honestly. But is anyone else still scared that the ASG will screw us over and not match? I've just been let down so many times as a Hawks fan that I can't help but be nervous about this.

If we didn't have the playoff run, I would be fearful about that. However, ASG knew that this was coming. They have to hold the line simply because if they don't they lose all credibility as owners and their fans will probably not follow the team financially during their tenure.

Resigning Smoove is the best thing that they can do if they want to endear themselves to the city.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The money is not that big of a deal. In fact, we can always trade Smoove. His value is great in the league. What we really need however, is improved BBIQ from Smoove. If he gives us that, he will become easily better than Shawn Marion or G-Force...

• Premium Member

Quote:

Wouldn't you say he is probably already better than Wallace/Marion? Marion has been better but IMO has slacked off.

There are several aspects of Smoove's game that is definitely tortured by his BBIQ.

Quote:

The offer sheet will be for more than $67 million. They will open ip more capspace tomorrow
detective.gif

Well if they offer that much i doubt the ASG will resign him. We should sign and trade then and try to get any combination of these guys.

Dalembert

Iguodala

Jason Smith

Thaddeus Young

Quote:

Quote:

The offer sheet will be for more than $67 million. They will open ip more capspace tomorrow
detective.gif

Well if they offer that much i doubt the ASG will resign him. We should sign and trade then and try to get any combination of these guys.

Dalembert

Iguodala

Jason Smith

Thaddeus Young

For the umpteenth time, Smooth is BYC, meaning you can only take back half his salary, meaning a combination of those guys is out of the question. You have to package him with another player or take future picks as compensation. Also Iggy isn't even under contract at the moment.