• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

It's time to start talking S&T with the Sixers.

mrhonline

I'm also at the point where we need to look at Sign-and-trade options BUT Philly has no need to do so. If they can sign him outright why would they give us one of their most talented, young, inexpensive core players in Thaddeus Young? Just so they don't have to wait to see if we match?

On another note, I hope we are talking with Josh to see what other teams he'd be interested in so we can work on a sign-and-trade with a team without cap space. (Assuming we decided that we weren't going to match a Max deal obviously)

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

That is why I said ALL of last year that we needed to resign him then. But everyone wasn't "worried". I knew this would happen. Every year there are teams that get cap space and people didn't see it coming. Smith, being a 22 year old who has a TON of potential and is already a great player that lines up stats across the board, is VERY attractive to FA suitors.

I just know the ASG is going to screw this up, I just hope they get it right for once. Regardless, they've already gotten it partially wrong for letting him even become an RFA.

• Moderators

Quote:

I'm also at the point where we need to look at Sign-and-trade options BUT Philly has no need to do so. If they can sign him outright why would they give us one of their most talented, young, inexpensive core players in Thaddeus Young? Just so they don't have to wait to see if we match?

If we do match, Philly will be left with Jack and sh** and Jack left town. There is definitely pressure on their side to work out a S&T if they are going to make an offer. It is a high stakes gamble (although I don't know that they will be willing to part with Young).

Quote:

This is an interesting point. Philly might just hope we aren't going to SnT, would any of you be willing to see him walk?

Quote:

Quote:

If we do match, Philly will be left with Jack and sh** and Jack left town. There is definitely pressure on their side to work out a S&T if they are going to make an offer. It is a high stakes gamble (although I don't know that they will be willing to part with Young).

There are other RFA's out there that they could pursue. Okafor comes to mind. They could use a shooter like Gordon or JR Smith. Now that i think about it JR would really be a perfect fit for Philly.

Having him walk would be a terrible blow, we at least need to get some quality talent in return. However, paying Smoove a max deal is hard to swallow. He is our 2nd best player right now but I have a feeling that Horford will surpass him as our 2nd best player in short order. That would leave us in a big bind when it comes time to extend Horford and resign JJ in 2 years.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

This is an interesting point. Philly might just hope we aren't going to SnT, would any of you be willing to see him walk?

Not unless you want to go back into rebuilding mode for the next 5 years...

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There are other RFA's out there that they could pursue. Okafor comes to mind. They could use a shooter like Gordon or JR Smith. Now that i think about it JR would really be a perfect fit for Philly.

Okafor would be the best replacement - although there are real injury issues that make him risky. Adding someone like Ben Gordon or JR Smith would leave Philly playing Young at PF again which is something I think they really want to avoid.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Philly isn't after Okafor. Gordon and JR would help, but they need a PF. I realize they need shooters, but I haven't seen anything from the Philly camp that says they're interested in Okafor. Gordon and JR won't get big deals. They are trading Carney and a 1st so they can clear more cap space to make a big run at a player, Gordon and JR aren't those players. Hopefully it's Brand, but then we have to worry about the Clippers. Although I'd rather have that scenario, because I don't see Smith wanting to join to Clippers.

Quote:

They are trading Carney and a 1st so they can clear more cap space to make a big run at a player, Gordon and JR aren't those players.

I am well aware those guys aren't their primary targets. But the reality is that neither is Smith. Their primary target is Brand. However there are other options if they can't get Brand (or Smith).

• Premium Member

...and of course, stayed on the East Coast for college. I'm uncertain why anyone would allege, given a set of circumstances such as Philly has, Brand would be resistant to coming back to this side of the country.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Okafor would be the best replacement - although there are real injury issues that make him risky. Adding someone like Ben Gordon or JR Smith would leave Philly playing Young at PF again which is something I think they really want to avoid.

Willie Green started at the 2 for them this past season so Gordon or JR would be a huge upgrade.

I would guess that Young played PF mainly because they are so weak there. Iggy can play the 2 or 3 so they could easily have a 2/3 rotation of (JR/Gordon)/Iggy/Young similar to what we have here with JJ/Chill/Marvin.

Quote:

...and of course, stayed on the East Coast for college. I'm uncertain why anyone would allege, given a set of circumstances such as Philly has, Brand would be resistant to coming back to this side of the country.

I didn't understand that line of reasoning either.

• Admin

Way too much...he should be getting 10 million and be happy with it.

Unfortunately, that is not how the league works. At 12 - 13 he is still overpaid but its a contract I would match. However, if Smith gets the 80million offer then it is time to let him go and focus elsewhere.

Quote:

I think he stays in LA. He is big into the movie business and that, coupled with a chance to play with Baron Davis, will get the deal done with the Clippers even if it is for less money.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Way too much...he should be getting 10 million and be happy with it.

Unfortunately, that is not how the league works. At 12 - 13 he is still overpaid but its a contract I would match. However, if Smith gets the 80million offer then it is time to let him go and focus elsewhere.

If you're ready to time warp back to 2003 and start over rebuilding again, than that's your opinion. I just don't want to go through that again.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

They are trading Carney and a 1st so they can clear more cap space to make a big run at a player, Gordon and JR aren't those players.

I am well aware those guys aren't their primary targets. But the reality is that neither is Smith. Their primary target is Brand. However there are other options if they can't get Brand (or Smith).

I hope so. But if they don't get Brand I guarantee they go after Smith, hell they may even go after Smith first. I just hope the ASG doesn't screw us over, I just don't have confidence in them.

He's just a fan that didn't want to believe that Memphis wouldn't dare go all out to get another major free agent to replace Gasol as the centerpiece.

They have cap space, but they're not going after anyone major. Brand and/or Smith is what they need in Memphis. If they're not talking about going after those 2, they won't go after anyone major. They'll sell the potential of Gay, Conley, and Mayo as the future of Memphis basketball.

Getting Carney would be a decent item to bring back to Memphis. Athletically, the Griz should be sick next year if they did that. And it's a relatively CHEAP move too.

Why do these people not realize that if we let Smith go we get nothing back and we still are at the cap. Basically we'd make our team worse to save money that ultimately would not change our cap hit.

The sixers have to be careful what they offer, they still have to max out Iguodala and resign Lou williams. I don't think they will go blow mil in the hole to field a team that wouldn't be higher than a 5th seed.

Quote:

He's just a fan that didn't want to believe that Memphis wouldn't dare go all out to get another major free agent to replace Gasol as the centerpiece.

They have cap space, but they're not going after anyone major. Brand and/or Smith is what they need in Memphis. If they're not talking about going after those 2, they won't go after anyone major. They'll sell the potential of Gay, Conley, and Mayo as the future of Memphis basketball.

Getting Carney would be a decent item to bring back to Memphis. Athletically, the Griz should be sick next year if they did that. And it's a relatively CHEAP move too.

Actually at the time I did not anticipate us adding a PF prospect as good as Arthur which changed the thinking of the organization. The draft changed things. Right or wrong, the Grizzlies had Arthur ranked #11 in this draft and Mayo #3.

The Grizzlies are concentrating on trading one or mor of their PGs for some help on the wings.