• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

It's time to start talking S&T with the Sixers.

mrhonline

Quote:

Quote:

He's just a fan that didn't want to believe that Memphis wouldn't dare go all out to get another major free agent to replace Gasol as the centerpiece.

They have cap space, but they're not going after anyone major. Brand and/or Smith is what they need in Memphis. If they're not talking about going after those 2, they won't go after anyone major. They'll sell the potential of Gay, Conley, and Mayo as the future of Memphis basketball.

Getting Carney would be a decent item to bring back to Memphis. Athletically, the Griz should be sick next year if they did that. And it's a relatively CHEAP move too.

Actually at the time I did not anticipate us adding a PF prospect as good as Arthur which changed the thinking of the organization. The draft changed things. Right or wrong, the Grizzlies had Arthur ranked #11 in this draft and Mayo #3.

The Grizzlies are concentrating on trading one or mor of their PGs for some help on the wings.

The Griz drafted a 216 pound "pf" who has a 30" vertical with the 27th pick which made them decide not to throw max money at Smith.

OK

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Having him walk would be a terrible blow, we at least need to get some quality talent in return. However, paying Smoove a max deal is hard to swallow. He is our 2nd best player right now but I have a feeling that Horford will surpass him as our 2nd best player in short order. That would leave us in a big bind when it comes time to extend Horford and resign JJ in 2 years.

Beyond the fact that you are banking on a player to not only match but surpass another player who is, statistically at least, very far ahead of him at the exact same age, I think there are some flaws in your logic. Explain to me how signing Smith would put us in a bind in 2010 when we have to resign those guys. As of right now we have no one on the books for that offseason. Speedy comes off that offseason and Bibby comes of this next offseason, we can decide what we do with our less talented players (Chil/Marv/Zaza) with that offseason in mind.

Beyond that, if Smith leaves this offseason for either nothing or a mediocre prospect and a couple of mediocre draft picks (Speights and a couple of top10 protected or whatever), what makes you think Joe is going to want to resign with us? How long has Joe been calling for ownership to spend money to win? Since he got here - you think he's going to want to stay here when he's 29 and the team has topped at around .500 and a first round playoff exit?

... and if Al gets as good as you hope he does, who do you think all those teams are going to go after when all the premier FAs get snatched up by the two NY teams or their old teams? They're going to target Al because they will have a bunch of dough saved up and they will know that all they have to do is throw it at him and ASG will blink.

I just don't see how not signing Smith now helps us long term unless we have a concrete plan to bring in an all-star in the very near future. If we don't, I think we look to move Joe ASAP before he starts acting like he wants to leave.