• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Other than Money, What Incentive Does Josh Have

khaos7

to sign with the Clippers? Honestly, they will never be a championship threat in the thick West. Playing with Baron Davis might be attractive. However, if Baron gets hurt, there goes their playoff chances (slim as they are). Plus, the Clips will always be in the shadow of Kobe and the Lakers. IMHO, he has a better chance to maximize he dollar making possiblilities in ATL. I just don't see how he'd bettering himself by going out there (if in fact they are an option).

They don't have Mike Woodson.

Hard to say, its really a personal choice for Josh when you are comparing two cities. We can only look from the outside and take guesses at what he is thinking.

I think that Brand's departure solidifies the notion that although they are both are in L.A., playing for the Clippers is nothing like playing for the Lakers. I don't recall seeing any Elton Brand commercials the past 5 years. In Atlanta Josh could basically have the 9th largest media market all to himself.

Quote:

I think that Brand's departure solidifies the notion that although they are both are in L.A., playing for the Clippers is nothing like playing for the Lakers. I don't recall seeing any Elton Brand commercials the past 5 years. In Atlanta Josh could basically have the 9th largest media market all to himself.

I was just curious what the 8 above ATL are...

1. NY

2. LA

3. BOS

4. CHI

5. DET

6. PHI

7. DAL

8. HOU

9 . ATL

??? that somewhat right ???

Quote:

Quote:

I was just curious what the 8 above ATL are...

1. NY

2. LA

3. BOS

4. CHI

5. DET

6. PHI

7. DAL

8. HOU

9 . ATL

??? that somewhat right ???

1) NY

2) LA

3) Chicago

4) Dallas

5) Philadelphia

6) Houston

7) Miami

8) Washington

9) Atlanta

less than 1 million separate Atlanta (9) to Dallas (4). So you can say Atlanta is number 9 but depending on the whether Atlanta could be 6.

I think you guys are kind of delusional when looking at this issue.

The one thing most people cite in favor of keeping Josh at all costs, is that he's an exciting player to watch, and that people come out to see him play because of that. Now if you truly believe that about the people in ATL that watch him, the same will hold true for Clipper fans in LA. I can see Billy Crystal right now, with a #5 Smith jersey on right now.

When you look at it from Smith's persective, you have to look at the entire package. He may very well win more games in ATL, but will he get more exposure? Even when the Clippers were bad, they still managed to get a few national TV games, while we were left out in the cold. I thin even the "playoff guarantee" Hawks of 2002, only got one national TV game ( I think we played Indiana ). ATL would have to be a top tier team, for Smith to get the exposure he'd get with a mediocre Clipper team.

Make no mistake . . . a guy like Chris Bosh is known around the league and its fans. But he's MUCH BETTER than what people think. But him being in Toronto has him on that JJ-level of a star. If he played in New York or LA, he'd be a 2nd-level star by now, because their media would constantly remind you how good he is.

It is also that reason why Bosh may opt out in 2 years and go to a better market.

LA fans will fall in love with Smith's athleticism, just like in ATL. All he'd have to do, is help Baron and the Clips take down the Lakers, and he'd instantly be the 2nd most popular player in that city, behind Kobe. The LA media would definitely love him, and hype him way more than the ATL media, who could give a damn about the Hawks, for the most part.

And because LA is a huge media market, opportunities for him to do things outside of basketball will immeadiately open up for him.

If all else fails, he can be a stunt double for the rapper, The Game, in his next video.

Then explain why there has been no Elton Brand National TV campaign since he joined the league? If you think about most of the marketers for the NBA none of them are LA based. Coke is here in Atl, and Josh Smith already has a Powerade campaign. Nike is out of Oregon, and Adidas and Pepsi aren't out of Cali either. Also consider that LA is 50 percent hispanic, who generally aren't NBA fans. L.A. as a marketing hub for basketball is totally overrated. And talk about history, the Clippers could be the worst franchise in HISTORY. Theyve made the playoffs like 5 time in their entire history.

Quote:

Then explain why there has been no Elton Brand National TV campaign since he joined the league?

The same reason why Tim Duncan doesn't have many more national TV campaigns thrown his way. Because both he and Elton are looked at as "boring" players. They're almost too fundamental, and not flashy enough, to move the ad meter.

Think about it. Tim has 4 championships and is arguably the best player in the league. Yet, who do you see on TV all the time? Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Shaq, Garnett. Heck, even Jordan is on commercials more than Timmy.

In the advertising world, it's all about if you have marketability. The headband, the highlight dunks, the game-changing blocks, the scowl, and yes, the fact he looks like Game, can all be marketed.

Quote:

If you think about most of the marketers for the NBA none of them are LA based. Coke is here in Atl, and Josh Smith already has a Powerade campaign. Nike is out of Oregon, and Adidas and Pepsi aren't out of Cali either. Also consider that LA is 50 percent hispanic, who generally aren't NBA fans.

LOL @ Hispanics aren't NBA fans. Since when? Just because they're not quite a few hispanics in the NBA, doesn't mean that they don't watch the league. All of those Mexicans are Laker fans and fans of Kobe.

And as far as the marketers go, you're only talking about the corporate headquarters of those companies. Those same companies have regional hubs across the country and world, including LA. And where do you think the commercials are shot?

The fact that LA is a top media market will elevate Smith's potential appeal ouside of basketball almost immeadiately. You can't overlook the fact that the vast majority of TV shows and movies are shot in LA. Some of your top entertainment agencies are LA based. There would be opportunities far beyond a 30 second TV commercial, that Smith could be in. And I'm pretty sure that Elton has either been in a few movies and TV shows. I need to check that to make sure.

If Smith wants a piece of the limelight, he could easily get it in LA, and they would gladly give it to him, especially if the Clips get back into the playoffs.

Quote:

L.A. as a marketing hub for basketball is totally overrated. And talk about history, the Clippers could be the worst franchise in HISTORY. Theyve made the playoffs like 5 time in their entire history.

And yet, if you'd asked people what was the worst francise of the past 10 years, 75% of them would say US. People who aren't Hawk fans, think that the Hawks have been losers since Dominique left. Tell people that the Hawks made the playoffs 9 times in the 90s, and they'd be absolutely shocked.

Remember that Clipper team of about 5 - 6 years ago, with Brand, Maggette, Q-Richardson, and Darius Miles? The young, energetic, headband wearing squad that would always tap their heads with their fists after they make a good play? That mediocre Clipper team got much more exposure than this year's Hawks, or the 1999 playoff Hawk team during the strike year.

Ish, you can even argue that they got more exposure than some of those good mid-90s teams of Smitty, Mookie, and Deke. That team was methodical as hell, and won with defense. Nobody likes teams like that. That's why the Spurs draw low ratings during NBA Finals time. Yeah, they're one of the best teams in basketball, but they aren't "pretty" to watch.

Heck, people STILL think that Smoove plays SF for us and Marvin the PF. That shows you how much they really know about Smith and the Hawks.

Quote:

The fact that LA is a top media market will elevate Smith's potential appeal ouside of basketball almost immeadiately. You can't overlook the fact that the vast majority of TV shows and movies are shot in LA. Some of your top entertainment agencies are LA based. There would be opportunities far beyond a 30 second TV commercial, that Smith could be in. And I'm pretty sure that Elton has either been in a few movies and TV shows. I need to check that to make sure.

If Smith wants a piece of the limelight, he could easily get it in LA, and they would gladly give it to him, especially if the Clips get back into the playoffs.

I would hope that chief among his priorities is playing with his teammates over the last several years. That has to be one of the strongest incentives there is . . . . . along with staying in 'his town.'

LA traffic makes us look like a small town.