• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If Smith does go....

Supporter

Don't be surprised if Marvin becomes an 18-20 ppg scorer, if he works on his post game and 3 pointer, he could become a better 2nd option than smith. We have to work out a sign and trade for kaman if the money is too much.

Bibby or Acie 10-14 ppg

Joe 20-25 ppg

Marvin 18-20 ppg

Al 12-14 ppg

Kaman 16 ppg

Add a shooter and i dont see the big deal in losing smith

Quote:

Don't be surprised if Marvin becomes an 18-20 ppg scorer, if he works on his post game and 3 pointer, he could become a better 2nd option than smith. We have to work out a sign and trade for kaman if the money is too much.

Bibby or Acie 10-14 ppg

Joe 20-25 ppg

Marvin 18-20 ppg

Al 12-14 ppg

Kaman 16 ppg

You realize the Clippers don't have any reason to SnT Kaman for Smith right? They want to compete now and they have enough cap space to sign Smith straight up.

So, you are saying that all we have to do to replace Smith if we let him walk is sign a player we probably can't get and hope that a guy who hasn't shown 3pt. touch or post moves in 3 years suddenly develops them...

I agree with you 100% from and offensive perspective. If Smoove leaves we may actually be a better offensive team or at least more efficient. Horford and Marvin will get more touches and COULD develop quicker.

However, we would be so much worse defesively that we end up with a big loss and no gain. Marvin guarding PFs is real ugly. ZaZa guarding anyone is even uglier.

If we lose Smoove we HAVE to sign either K. Brown or Elson using part of the $5.86 MLE to help supplement the defense. The offense will be OK. the defense will be hurting is ZaZa and Solo is all we got to pair with Horford to protect the rim and rebound for 48 minutes a night.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Bibby or Acie 10-14 ppg

Joe 20-25 ppg

Marvin 18-20 ppg

Al 12-14 ppg

Kaman 16 ppg

You realize the Clippers don't have any reason to SnT Kaman for Smith right? They want to compete now and they have enough cap space to sign Smith straight up.

So, you are saying that all we have to do to replace Smith if we let him walk is sign a player we probably can't get and hope that a guy who hasn't shown 3pt. touch or post moves in 3 years suddenly develops them...

While I totally disagree with the original post, I disagree with this one just about as much...

Right now, we are in a position to control where Smoove goes. Smoove just can't go to LAC without our blessing. IF that means that we require Kaman in return for Smoove, then that's the rule that LAC will have to play by.

Quote:

Right now, we are in a position to control where Smoove goes. Smoove just can't go to LAC without our blessing. IF that means that we require Kaman in return for Smoove, then that's the rule that LAC will have to play by.

I agree. We have all the leverage in the world. LAC does not have the wiggle room that Philly had, nor have they shown the willingness to make outlandish offers to FAs in the past.

If they want Smooth bad enough, they have to go through us. This has played out about as well as it could have thus far.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree. We have all the leverage in the world. LAC does not have the wiggle room that Philly had, nor have they shown the willingness to make outlandish offers to FAs in the past.

If they want Smooth bad enough, they have to go through us. This has played out about as well as it could have thus far.

The problem for the Hawks though is that Oakafor is still on the market. They can go after him if the Hawks won't let Smith walk, then the Hawks are stuck paying Josh Smith a max contract.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The problem for the Hawks though is that Oakafor is still on the market. They can go after him if the Hawks won't let Smith walk, then the Hawks are stuck paying Josh Smith a max contract.

No. Once LAC signs Okafor, the Hawks can set their own price for Smoove and at that Point Smoove can either take it or leave it. That's the leverage..

Now options for Smoove are:

1. Play in Europe.

2. Sign a 1 year deal and wait til next year.

3. Hold out.*

*The players union won't let him hold out because they like the CBA.

So, I can see ASG offering Smoove a 6 year 76.25 Million dollar deal with a team option at 4 and a P.O at 5... ( That starts at 11.5 Million).

Smoove can then elect to turn us down and wait on next year. That would be crazy. So right now, SMoove is hoping that LAC is desperate enough to select him.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bibby or Acie 10-14 ppg

Joe 20-25 ppg

Marvin 18-20 ppg

Al 12-14 ppg

Kaman 16 ppg

While I totally disagree with the original post, I disagree with this one just about as much...

I think you are missing my point. The reason LAC would go after Josh is because they think it will give them the best chance to win now. If they lose Kaman in the equation, it is little better than lateral and gives them less cap space to work with. I don't think LAC is in love with Josh the way it seemed Philly was, he's just the most attractive player on the market at a (now) position of great need. I think for them it is either offer him enough that we don't match and pair him with Kaman or move on.

Frankly I'm not so sure they really want Smith. They might just make an offer big enough to appease the fan base but not really expect to land him.

Quote:

I agree with you 100% from and offensive perspective. If Smoove leaves we may actually be a better offensive team or at least more efficient. Horford and Marvin will get more touches and COULD develop quicker.

However, we would be so much worse defesively that we end up with a big loss and no gain. Marvin guarding PFs is real ugly. ZaZa guarding anyone is even uglier.

If we lose Smoove we HAVE to sign either K. Brown or Elson using part of the $5.86 MLE to help supplement the defense. The offense will be OK. the defense will be hurting is ZaZa and Solo is all we got to pair with Horford to protect the rim and rebound for 48 minutes a night.

Even on offense, Al and Marvin might be able to develop into more efficient volume scorers than Smith, but as of now thats hard to predict - especially considering Smith probably has as much, or more, room for growth than either. More importantly though, you are replacing a player who is, at worst, decent on offense with one who is terrible. If Al and Marv show enough to warrant more touches than Smith, by all means give it to them but Smith will always be a better offensive option than Kwame or Francisco because he is a mismatch.

I'm not saying Smith is irreplacable, just that if we are willing to let him walk if the Clips go too high, we either need to have a big plan in place to acquire another premier talent or we need to start getting ready for the inevitable Joe "I wanted more talent around me when I came here and then you go and let the most talent player we had walk" tirade.

You're beating a dead horse here. The topic about Kaman coming to Atlanta has been talked about countless times already. Think of the games we've won against Boston. Do you think we could of won without Josh Smith? Personally, I don't think we would have, and that just goes to show you how strong of an influence Smith has on this team and its performance.