• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

R.I.P. Xbox 360 II

mattlanta

My Xbox 360 broke again (this is my second one, they sent in a new unit after my first one started having disc read error messages the first day I got it on Christmas). It keeps overheating for some reason (it's in a very spacey place) cause the left quadrants are red. I put a yellow sticky note on it that says 'R.I.P.' so no one will play it... sigh. I hate Microsoft. I'm definitely not going to buy their next next-gen console in the future.

Quote:

dude you have to get a fan.

Yeah, you have to spend more money for your expensive console to work. Fark that, get the PS3 and be done with it. After 3 RRODs I did and it is a much more reliable machine, has blue-ray (which is basically free) much better graphics (if you haven't seen the new Metal Gear you're missing out) and it is now getting the game support. Once these programmers totaly figure out it's engine look out.

If the 2k9 plays like it does on the XBox I will sell my Xbox and go back to being a fanboy. Microsoft is ripping everyone off and doesn't really care.

• Admin

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, you have to spend more money for your expensive console to work. Fark that, get the PS3 and be done with it. After 3 RRODs I did and it is a much more reliable machine, has blue-ray (which is basically free) much better graphics (if you haven't seen the new Metal Gear you're missing out) and it is now getting the game support. Once these programmers totaly figure out it's engine look out.

If the 2k9 plays like it does on the XBox I will sell my Xbox and go back to being a fanboy. Microsoft is ripping everyone off and doesn't really care.

I've been using the same 360, almost daily, since it was released and I've yet to have RRoD or any failure.

The ps3 has blu-ray, so if that has value to you, great. I'm not interested in spending $30 for movies that I already own on DVD.

As for the ps3 having better graphics, that's a farce. The 360 versions of cross-platform games are consistently rated as better. Some more recent games have reached parity between the two systems, so that you're at least getting the same experience, but don't stretch the truth and say that the ps3 has better graphics, it doesn't. In many cases it still lags behind the 360.

Also, I know of several people who have had ps3's die on them. It's not a bullet proof system either.

• Admin

Quote:

My Xbox 360 broke again (this is my second one, they sent in a new unit after my first one started having disc read error messages the first day I got it on Christmas). It keeps overheating for some reason (it's in a very spacey place) cause the left quadrants are red. I put a yellow sticky note on it that says 'R.I.P.' so no one will play it... sigh. I hate Microsoft. I'm definitely not going to buy their next next-gen console in the future.

send it back in and get it replaced. It's still under warranty. It's nothing to cry over, just do it and be done with it and get back to playing games.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I've been using the same 360, almost daily, since it was released and I've yet to have RRoD or any failure.

The ps3 has blu-ray, so if that has value to you, great. I'm not interested in spending $30 for movies that I already own on DVD.

As for the ps3 having better graphics, that's a farce. The 360 versions of cross-platform games are consistently rated as better. Some more recent games have reached parity between the two systems, so that you're at least getting the same experience, but don't stretch the truth and say that the ps3 has better graphics, it doesn't. In many cases it still lags behind the 360.

Also, I know of several people who have had ps3's die on them. It's not a bullet proof system either.

I knew you'd chime in Chillz, but to say that the 360 is capable of putting out the same graphics is complete BS. Do some research and you will see the PS3's engine has way more potential than the 360. Hell the 360 doesn't even put out true 1080p which tells you right there the PS3 looks better. Why do you think you had to buy an extra drive to play HD movies on the 360? Because the system can't read 1080p, therefore none of the games are in true 1080p.

You're still stuck in the original comparisons when the PS3 first came out. It is true EVERY 360 game looked just as good if not better than the PS3 but times have changed and the PS3 is now outperforming the 360.

It's good to know you've had success with your 360 but MOST people have gone through 3-4 systems and are still going through them. I know you've argued that they've fixed the problem but that's as laughable as the 360 being equal to the PS3. While I'm sure you know of people that have had crappy PS3's the failure rate ISN"T EVEN CLOSE so maybe you should head your own advice about stretching the truth.

Do you work for Microsoft or something? I've never seen someone be so diehard about a company that is screwing the average gamer at an alarming rate.

Quote:

Quote:

send it back in and get it replaced. It's still under warranty. It's nothing to cry over, just do it and be done with it and get back to playing games.

"Nothing to cry over" says the man who's never had to go through it. Yeah, you just forked over $300 and you're now going to get a refurb that will eventually have to be sent back in. You payed big money (for a lot of kids) for what amounts to a refurb.

"Get back to playing games" is exactly why he's making a big deal about. Turnaround is generally over a month then in 3-4 months (if he's lucky) he'll be sending back his refurb. How can one "get back to playing games"? Problem is you're giving advice on something you know nothing about. Stop acting like just because you've been one of the FEW who have been lucky the rest haven't got the right to be upset.

OP get the PS3 and then really "get back to playing games" and watching REAL movies that caust EXACTLY the same to rent.

You know what, as of right now I'll give you the "wash" on graphics (maybe even slight advantage 360 due to the amount of games that look better on it). It's at the very least debatable. Now consider the blue-ray player, the built in wireless adapter (it even has it's own browser), and the MUCH BETTER reliability rate how could you possibly say the 360 is a better machine? You're getting the same multimedia experience for hundreds of dollars less. Except it's not even the same experience as you won't be able to watch any NEW movies in HD (that is if you spent the extra $$$ for the now obsolete HD player). Speaking of which...Chillz you want to buy mine?

Please tell me why you think the 360 is the superior machine? It should be easy to convince me as was a BIG Xbox fan.

Quote:

This time, Microsoft didn't send a box. Instead, they're sending an email in which I have to print out the label and place it on my box (which I have to buy myself).

Wow, they're getting even cheaper. GREAT customer service. Just to let you know the failure rate for the 360 has been reported to be between 5% (MS's FALSE #'s) to 30% (retail store's guesses). The actual number is around 17% which, in MS's defense, is average for any consumer electronic. In contrast though the PS3's failure rate is 3% (as is the Wii). So while the PS may not be "bullet proof", it is 5 times less likely to fail than the Xbox.

As of right now the Xbox has a better selection of excellent games but if you've talked to anyone who's played the new Metal Gear Solid they'll tell you that's one of the best (IMO THE best) visual experience that's ever been put out on a gaming system. There are scenes in that game that's impossible to tell if it's actual video or simply a video game. When's the last time you've ever had to wonder that? Me? Never.

You can keep giving MS your money if you want to but I'm keeping mine for now. Maybe the next gen they'll put out a better product. Next time I'll wait a while and see what the issues will be. If they learn from the 360's mistake, I'll spend the $$$ (because when it runs it's an amazing machine). However, if they continue to blatently rip-off their customers I'll stick with Sony.

Quote:

Quote:

This time, Microsoft didn't send a box. Instead, they're sending an email in which I have to print out the label and place it on my box (which I have to buy myself).

Wow, they're getting even cheaper. GREAT customer service. Just to let you know the failure rate for the 360 has been reported to be between 5% (MS's FALSE #'s) to 30% (retail store's guesses). The actual number is around 17% which, in MS's defense, is average for any consumer electronic. In contrast though the PS3's failure rate is 3% (as is the Wii). So while the PS may not be "bullet proof", it is 5 times less likely to fail than the Xbox.

As of right now the Xbox has a better selection of excellent games but if you've talked to anyone who's played the new Metal Gear Solid they'll tell you that's one of the best (IMO THE best) visual experience that's ever been put out on a gaming system. There are scenes in that game that's impossible to tell if it's actual video or simply a video game. When's the last time you've ever had to wonder that? Me? Never.

You can keep giving MS your money if you want to but I'm keeping mine for now. Maybe the next gen they'll put out a better product. Next time I'll wait a while and see what the issues will be. If they learn from the 360's mistake, I'll spend the $$$ (because when it runs it's an amazing machine). However, if they continue to blatently rip-off their customers I'll stick with Sony.

I should of done that before asking for it on Christmas.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I should of done that before asking for it on Christmas.

Go ahead and send it it, after all it did cost a pretty penny, and give it at least another chance. If the 17% is actually true (I believe it's closer to 20%+) odds are you won't have any more problems.

Sucks you have to actually spend more money for something that's covnered under their warranty. That's the part that upsets me the most....their attituted towards the whole debacle. I see yet more GMC plants closing today. American companies need to wake up if they ever want to become relevant again.

• 3 weeks later...
Wrong. Playstation 3 has a much better graphics generator.

Too bad the games don't look better on the PS3 than they do on the 360.

I still have my 360 from Christmas of 05 and I've never had a problem with it, but let plenty of air get to it and I don't leave it on for weeks at a time like some people do.

Too bad the games don't look better on the PS3 than they do on the 360.

I still have my 360 from Christmas of 05 and I've never had a problem with it, but let plenty of air get to it and I don't leave it on for weeks at a time like some people do.

You're right. PS3's graphics are not yet noticeably better than the 360's, but all the game makers have admitted that Sony's unit has a much, much bigger ceiling in terms of graphics. They just have to figure out how to utilize it.

:computer8: