• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Josh Smith contract incentives

exodus

Using Boguts deal as a guide i think we could sign Smith to a similar deal with a reasonable base salary and incentives tied to performance. Here are some good incentives for Smith;

1) Shoot no more than 10 three pointers on the season. i would pay $1 million/yr just for that.

2) Average less than 2.5 turnovers per game. Josh PLEASE stop trying to be Jason Kidd.

3) Average at least 9 rebounds per game. This could be easily accomplished by boxing out once in awhile on the defensive glass and not hanging out on the perimeter on offense.

4) Shoot 50% from the field. This would hopefully discourage him from shooting those long 2s.

Any other ideas?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Using Boguts deal as a guide i think we could sign Smith to a similar deal with a reasonable base salary and incentives tied to performance. Here are some good incentives for Smith;

1) Shoot no more than 10 three pointers on the season. i would pay $1 million/yr just for that.

2) Average less than 2.5 turnovers per game. Josh PLEASE stop trying to be Jason Kidd.

3) Average at least 9 rebounds per game. This could be easily accomplished by boxing out once in awhile on the defensive glass and not hanging out on the perimeter on offense.

4) Shoot 50% from the field. This would hopefully discourage him from shooting those long 2s.

Any other ideas?

Shoot better than 75% from the free throw line

If he can do all of those things I would give him the max as an incentive based deal. Lets face it, his cieling is much higher then Boguts.

It would be worth it to shellout the extra money and pay the luxury tax b/c if Smoove actually does all those things he would be a top 10 player in the league and be worth the max.

$60 = $62 mill base contract with all the incentives you brought up is beautiful. Maybe $$$ incentives is what it takes to motivate Smoove to "play the right way."

You can't put a cap on his threes. That's asinine. What if he is in ten spots where he has to heave at the end of the shot or game clock? You rather him just hold the ball because he might lose money?

Quote:

You can't put a cap on his threes. That's asinine.
What if he is in ten spots where he has to heave at the end of the shot or game clock?
You rather him just hold the ball because he might lose money?

That is why i gave him 10, which just so happens to be how many 3s marvin took as the starting SF. If Marvin can make it through the season taking only 10 3s i think our PF can do it too.

Quote:

Any other ideas?

I like them. #1 is a must.

I'd be wary of any counting stat as an incentive, as they might just encourage ball-hogging. I like the idea of incentives based on team wins.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'd be wary of any counting stat as an incentive, as they might just encourage ball-hogging. I like the idea of incentives based on team wins.

In some cases this would be true, but I don't see how this theory would hold here. None of these incentives encourage hogging the ball.

Quote:

Quote:

In some cases this would be true, but I don't see how this theory would hold here. None of these incentives encourage hogging the ball.

Oops, my comment was misleading.. I like all the incentives he suggested, I'm just saying that in some cases they COULD be bad. The ones he posted are good.

i don't understand why you guys want josh to stop shooting 3's, his ability (however limited) is one of the reasons he is so dangerous, and will only become more dangerous. we shouldn't want him to stop, we should want him to get better at it. when josh has his shot going he's unguardable. if you did put a cap on his 3's it should be at 165. i also don't mind josh's turnovers because most of them are turnovers of aggression. you know trying to make a play. they are not like JJ's turnovers where he's just being lazy and careless with the ball (that's the one thing that drives me crazy about JJ), or even like marvins turnovers when he's just...well i don't know what the hell marvins doing when he commits turnovers. all i know is he has the ball one second and then the other team suddenly has the ball running down the court. i say no to stoping smith from doing anything

I would rather he just mature as a player. When you give players too much to think about, they usually end up messing it up or losing what it was that got them to this point. True, his shooting and ball handling didn't get him to the league but trying to curve his turnovers and threes by incentives may take away some of his aggression in other areas. IMO

I do agree with the rebound incentive though.

Quote:

i don't understand why you guys want josh to stop shooting 3's, his ability (however limited) is one of the reasons he is so dangerous, and will only become more dangerous.

It is dangerous to our offense. He shoots them at 25% and has shown no signs of improvement at all. The defense wants him to shoot 3s. We scored 3 fewer ppg when Smith was playing

Standing that far from the basket keeps him away from the offensive glass where he could do much more damage. He isn't going to get the other team in foul trouble shooting 3s.

Boozer took only 1 three pointer all last season and he is a much better jump shooter than Smith.