• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

I think Smoove wants out

NJHAWK

• Premium Member

Coach, none of the other RFA's are signed yet either. Do you think they're having problems with the coaches/GM/ownership/players as well? Some of their fans are speculating it, but, how many of those guys are openly making statements and talking to the media? None, just like Smith. He is being advised not to talk, it's not his decision.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would any player except, Ron Artest who represents himself, speak out publicly about a matter that could concern his contract. Players don't speak during the negotiating period. I'm sure he will address the issue at the press conference he and chillz will be at when they sign extensions.

And you say you want Smoove back but it only takes a rumor from the media to have you thinking Smoove doesn't want to return. You mention a SnT in almost all of your post. NJ even mentioned a trade to Dallas for Smoove.

How can you just blame Smoove for not meeting with the Hawks when there are two sides to this process. Sund and the Hawks should take half the blame for this. You instead blame this situation soley on Smoove making you look like someone who doesn't like Smoove as much you say you do.

Quote:

Coach, none of the other RFA's are signed yet either. Do you think they're having problems with the coaches/GM/ownership/players as well? Some of their fans are speculating it, but, how many of those guys are openly making statements and talking to the media? None, just like Smith. He is being advised not to talk, it's not his decision.

Thats not fair. Your trying to compare apples with apples but I think it more like apples and oranges.

1. I have not seen any reports where Gordon and Deng say they refuse to play for Vinny Del Negro in Chicago.

2. I have seen no reports where Okefor claims he will not play for Larry Brown in Charlotte.

3. I have seen no reports where Iggy will not play for Maurice Cheeks in Philly.

4. However, Smith is the only one with reports saying he refuses to play for his current coach.

That what makes this apples and oranges.

Let me preface this by saying I want Smith back. I have said for the last month that the day he sign is the day I order a ticket package. However, it seems if you don't kiss Smoove's butt daily and think he is loyal to Atlanta like a old man is to a trophy wife your cast as a Smoove hater and people think you want him gone. That is not the case with me. I am not a butt a kisser but also never said that I want to trade Smith. (Except for the Stoudemire trade talks last summer in 2007 but that was a damn good trade.)

Quote:

1. I have not seen any reports where Gordon and Deng say they refuse to play for Vinny Del Negro in Chicago.

2. I have seen no reports where Okefor claims he will not play for Larry Brown in Charlotte.

Huh? Neither of those guys even knows their new coach.

Quote:

3. I have seen no reports where Iggy will not play for Maurice Cheeks in Philly.

Cheecks isn't an incompetent boob.

Quote:

4. However, Smith is the only one with reports saying he refuses to play for his current coach.

I must have missed the quote where he said that. Link please.

Are you referencing the same guy who said Philly or the Clipps was sure to make an offer for Smith?

Quote:

Why would any player except, Ron Artest who represents himself, speak out publicly about a matter that could concern his contract. Players don't speak during the negotiating period. I'm sure he will address the issue at the press conference he and chillz will be at when they sign extensions.

And you say you want Smoove back but it only takes a rumor from the media to have you thinking Smoove doesn't want to return. You mention a SnT in almost all of your post. NJ even mentioned a trade to Dallas for Smoove.

How can you just blame Smoove for not meeting with the Hawks when there are two sides to this process. Sund and the Hawks should take half the blame for this. You instead blame this situation soley on Smoove making you look like someone who doesn't like Smoove as much you say you do.

I hope your right and Smoove plays Mr. Innocent after he resigns by saying the relationship with Woodson is fine. After all, Woodson has already taken the high road and stated on 680 AM yesterday that he thought he and Smith had a GOOD relationship. So at least one party is trying to refute the report. To bad the other is not.

What you fail to realize is Smith's camp is speaking publically. They are publically throwing his coach under the bus using different media outlets as a way to force a sign and trade. If they are truely trying to remain in Atlanta by using this approach then it is disturbing to say the least.

I have never seen another FA approach contract negotiations using this method unless they truely want to leave. Its one thing to pull a Kobe or JJ and publically plea for more help on the roster. However, throwing your head coach, specifically, under the bus by having reports fly around saying you will not resign and play under Woodson is bad and taking things to a personal level. I have never seen this before from a player who's true intention is to stay with their current.

No one says they want a trade to happen with Dallas. NJ just said there must be a team willing to over pay for Smoove in order for this info to come out without refutes and he specualtes that team is Dallas which makes alot of sense. Dirk's shooting and Diops toughness would mesh great with Smoove. He is trying to point out why Smith is not refuting the reports. Why and how he could be trying to get more money though it would take Mark Cuban's deep pockets to do it. We know Carlisle loves defense so he should like Smith. This does not mean NJ wants to trade Smith to Dallas he is trying to see what Smith is seeing.

There is a difference in likeing Smith and being a Smith nut hugger. I LIKE Smith and hope he stays. But I'm NO nut hugger.

I do not hold the franchise for any blame. They offered a fair contract extension last year that was turned down. They told Smith to go out get offers and they will match. Just as Philly has done with Iggy, Chicago has done with Gordron and Deng, and Charlotte has done with Okefor. None of them got any offers b/c of the fear their salary room would be tied up for a week only to me matched. However, Smith is the only one in the group that has the media reporting he will not play for his current coach who just signed and extension.

Quote:

I hope your right and Smoove plays Mr. Innocent after he resigns by saying the relationship with Woodson is fine. After all, Woodson has already taken the high road and stated on 680 AM yesterday that he thought he and Smith had a GOOD relationship. So at least one party is trying to refute the report. To bad the other is not.

What you fail to realize is Smith's camp is speaking publically. They are publically throwing his coach under the bus using different media outlets as a way to force a sign and trade. If they are truely trying to remain in Atlanta by using this approach then it is disturbing to say the least.

I have never seen another FA approach contract negotiations using this method unless they truely want to leave. Its one thing to pull a Kobe or JJ and publically plea for more help on the roster. However, throwing your head coach, specifically, under the bus by having reports fly around saying you will not resign and play under Woodson is bad and taking things to a personal level. I have never seen this before from a player who's true intention is to stay with their current.

No one says they want a trade to happen with Dallas. NJ just said there must be a team willing to over pay for Smoove in order for this info to come out without refutes and he specualtes that team is Dallas which makes alot of sense. Dirk's shooting and Diops toughness would mesh great with Smoove. He is trying to point out why Smith is not refuting the reports. Why and how he could be trying to get more money though it would take Mark Cuban's deep pockets to do it. We know Carlisle loves defense so he should like Smith. This does not mean NJ wants to trade Smith to Dallas he is trying to see what Smith is seeing.

There is a difference in liking Smith and being a Smith nut hugger. I LIKE Smith and hope he stays. But I'm NO nut hugger.

I do not hold the franchise for any blame. They offered a fair contract extension last year that was turned down. They told Smith to go out get offers and they will match. Just as Philly has done with Iggy, Chicago has done with Gordron and Deng, and Charlotte has done with Okefor. None of them got any offers b/c of the fear their salary room would be tied up for a week only to me matched. However, Smith is the only one in the group that has the media reporting he will not play for his current coach who just signed and extension.

• Premium Member

Quote:

So because Smith hasn't spoken to the media like NONE of the other FA's EVER do, you believe there is truth to the reports? I just don't understand that at all.

Classic Closet Smith hater symptoms!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

So because Smith hasn't spoken to the media like NONE of the other FA's EVER do, you believe there is truth to the reports? I just don't understand that at all.

Classic Closet Smith hater symptoms!

LOL I still don't really understand your thread, because most people are ready and willing to say if they dislike a player. I don't think coachx is a Smith hater, I just think he's buying too much into another bogus report started by Ric Bucher.

Quote:

The other players have no reason to talk to the media. The media is not reporting that they refuse to play for their current team and coach who just signed a contract extension.

If they were reporting that Okefor refuses to play for Brown over and over for a week without Okefor refuting it I would believe there is a real possibility the rumor is true. Same for any player who allows the media to bad talk their coach on their behalf without refuting it.

I don't comprehend how you don't understand how this makes Smith's situation unique to those of the other RFAs.

Your right. I'm no Smoove hater. I'm a Smoove fan but I am buying into the media reports more and more with each passing day until Smith speaks for himself.

Man I hope it comes soon !

• Premium Member

Quote:

LOL I still don't really understand your thread, because most people are ready and willing to say if they dislike a player. I don't think coachx is a Smith hater, I just think he's buying too much into another bogus report started by Ric Bucher.

Maybe not coach but NJHAWK for sure!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

The other players have no reason to talk to the media. The media is not reporting that they refuse to play for their current team and coach who just signed a contract extension.

If they were reporting that Okefor refuses to play for Brown over and over for a week without Okefor refuting it I would believe there is a real possibility the rumor is true. Same for any player who allows the media to bad talk their coach on their behalf without refuting it.

I don't comprehend how you don't understand how this makes Smith's situation unique to those of the RFAs.

coach, there are ALWAYS bogus reports saying that players want out of the organization when they are FA. ALWAYS, for whatever reason, be it the coach, the city, the players, the organization, etc. Smith not talking to the media is no different from those situations, those guys don't either because they are told by their agents to not talk until the situation is over.

If Smith has told the Hawks or anyone that he WON'T play for Woodson and he wants out, that would've gone public by now, as reports like those always do. Right now, ESPN is looking for something to write about.

Quote:

Give me a link to prove this is fact. Show me where it says Bucher's source is Smith's agent. If you can't then you have an agenda against Smith. You are assuming and not stating facts.

Quote:

This is just your ignorance continued. You blame Smoove because they have not came to an agreement. Sund has to offer Smoove a fair contract and not low ball him. Like I said both sides take blame for not having this situation settled.

Maybe your new name should be "Coachxteminate Smoove" or "Coachxumptions not facts"

coach, you can't say that Smith and his people are throwing anyone under a bus. They haven't said anything.

Woody has nothing to lose by coming out and saying he loves Smith, he has everything to gain because he is a bad coach and he doesn't want to seem responsible for forcing out a good player.

Yes, the situations are different with the other FAs but you still don't see them speaking out because it hurts their bargaining position. Smith and his agents want the best situation for Smith. That means being paid well by an organization that they think treats them right - neither of those goals is met if other teams think Smith won't want to play for them.

How about this, relax on it until someone with the Smith camp comes out and says something on the subject.

First, for the record, I want Smith back ONLY if Smith himself wants to be back. It's that simple.

Second, in the dozen or so games I went to last year....many of them close to the Hawks bench.....it was obvious to me that Smoove had zero respect for Woodson and just tuned him out when he spoke to him. He obviously dislikes him. Whether or not it's a dealbreaker remains to be seen.

All I was saying before was that it wouldn't be the end of the world if we lose one PF, since we have two. There are other pieces to the Hawks puzzle that are more important and if we dropped one duplicate piece (PF) to get one needed piece ©...that would be great.

Quote:

Quote:

Give me a link to prove this is fact. Show me where it says Bucher's source is Smith's agent. If you can't then you have an agenda against Smith. You are assuming and not stating facts.

Quote:

This is just your ignorance continued. You blame Smoove because they have not came to an agreement. Sund has to offer Smoove a fair contract and not low ball him. Like I said both sides take blame for not having this situation settled.

Maybe your new name should be "Coachxteminate Smoove" or "Coachxumptions not facts"

Your right I am assuming and specualting as we all are until Smith speaks for himslef but I refute the fact that I have an agenda against Smoove simply b/c I do not discount the multitudes of media reports. There are no facts just a bunch of media reports from unamed sources. If the reports are not coming from Smith or his camp of rookie agents then where would they come from ? All we can do is specualte of what could be happening behind the scenes. Just b/c some people like to discuss what could be going on behind the scense does not mean there is an agenda out to get any body. Myself and some others are simnply trying to see this from all angles so when action actually happens we are not totally blind sided. Any thing wrong with that ?

We can call each other ignorant all we want. I can call you ignorant for not lookiing at other points of view besides just one. If anything I am being the opposite of ignorant. I am trying to look at this from all angles.

Why are you blaming Sund. He has just done what a prudent GM should do. It is stupid to bid against yourself after all the teams have spent their money who want to spend it (Grizz don't want to spend). Smoove's agents seem to be in panick mode right now b/c Sund is now in the driver's seat. They are unknown 1st time sports agents trying to make a name for themselves by showing they can play hard ball. That is my speculation on the matter. Pure specualtion which is what we are all doing.

The bottome line is that I hope the kid stays in Atlanta his whole career. That is the bottom line. At the same time it dissapoints me that the possible face of our franchise would allow his name and image to be tarnished by having the media report this about him.

What if next week a sign and trade is announced with Dallas ? (Heaven forbid !) Well, at least a guy like NJ had the vision to see this as a possibility and share it with us and I commend him for that good and rational thought. However, that does not mean he wants the trade to happen. Speculation and assumptions are all we have until the actual decision is made. We can shut down the board until then or we can continue to speculate.

Quote:

First, for the record, I want Smith back ONLY if Smith himself wants to be back. It's that simple.

All I was saying before was that it wouldn't be the end of the world if we lose one PF, since we have two. There are other pieces to the Hawks puzzle that are more important and if we dropped one duplicate piece (PF) to get one needed piece ©...that would be great.

On the first point: I can't really agree. Smith, like it or not, was a HUGE part of our defense and a very big (moreso than anyone would like, or like to admit for that matter) part of our offense. If he doesn't want to be here, and I can understand why that might be the case, I want to get something nice in return. Otherwise you make him a nice offer and put him in the uncomfortable position of having to turn down money.

On the second point: Doesn't really make sense. If we move Horford to PF because we lose Smith we have to hope that a) we can get a center better than Horford and b) Horford can be as much of an impact player as Smith and c) the peices fit together well (Horford already said that he likes playing with Smith and really wants him back, they are comfortable together and he wouldn't feel comfortable without knowing that Smith "had his back"). None of those things are given.

So it wouldn't be "the end of the world" because it it a game played for entertainment, but it would be a really big loss for the franchise. We better have a damn good contingency plan if this is all real.

Quote:

The vast majority of casual fans in the city LOVE Smith, to most fans he is the face of the franchise.
Outside of Atlanta he is as well known, if not moreso, than Joe.

That's not true AT ALL. We're not on TV enough for people to know who Smith is over JJ. Smith is still living off of the slam dunk contest notierity. But you forget that JJ played on a pretty good Phoenix team 4 years ago, and got plenty of exposure then.

Shoot, Boris Diaw is more well known than Smoove.

And if you really want to get real with it, Mike Bibby is probably the "national face of the franchise" right now. When the NBA were doing those split-faced commercials during the playoffs, which Hawk did they use?

They didn't use Smith . . or JJ . . they used Bibby.

Quote:

Quote:

The vast majority of casual fans in the city LOVE Smith, to most fans he is the face of the franchise.
Outside of Atlanta he is as well known, if not moreso, than Joe.

That's not true AT ALL. We're not on TV enough for people to know who Smith is over JJ. Smith is still living off of the slam dunk contest notierity. But you forget that JJ played on a pretty good Phoenix team 4 years ago, and got plenty of exposure then.

Shoot, Boris Diaw is more well known than Smoove.

And if you really want to get real with it, Mike Bibby is probably the "national face of the franchise" right now. When the NBA were doing those split-faced commercials during the playoffs, which Hawk did they use?

They didn't use Smith . . or JJ . . they used Bibby.

Well that is true, Bibby is better known than either one of them.