• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Childress weighing offer from Greek team

wfhawkfan

Quote:

Quote:

Really, MrH, how can you not fault the ASG?

Because they are doing EXACTLY the same thing that any ownership group in their position would do. None of the other RFAs have been signed; are their owners idiots too?

Why would they get in a bidding war against themselves and hamstring their cap figure against the luxury tax, limiting their flexibility going forward?

To this point, things have played out exactly as they wanted. They are holding all the cards.

Childress, to his credit, has found a way to apply pressure to the Group. Let's see how this plays out before we all jump off a building. To this point, they have played this exactly how any other ownership group in the league would. I know everybody wants to get everybody signed (me included), but that is just not how things are done in the NBA.

Childress' agent is thinking outside the box. As Mr.H said, this is UNPRECEDENTED. As someone else in this thread mentioned, I'm sure Stern is keeping a CLOSE eye on this one.

jhay, Mr.H,

Points taken. However, this is a major trend with our owners. Alienate your employees at your own risk. I have no problem with what CHillz agent is doing, we are just getting schooled is all.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think Josh Smith agent would get on the phone with the teams in Europe as well. If Childress is worth 8 a year, Smith has to be worth 11 million plus.

How bout that, the Hawks lose both of them to the Euroleague, starting a new wave of NBA players leaving for Europe.

Thank you David Stern, you schlep, you should have done something about ASG a long time ago. Would serve you right for this weak group to start to really cost the NBA.

Hawk88

Josh Smith agent should call the Euroleagues as well. If Childress is worth 8 a year, Smith is worth 11 million +.

This could start a nice trend of NBA players leaving for Europe.

David Stern is a putz, you should have done something about the ASG when you had a chance. Now a wave of players may start leaving the NBA thanks to the weak link which is the ASG.

Way to go Davie Boy.

Hawk88

Quote:

Josh Smith agent should call the Euroleagues as well. If Childress is worth 8 a year, Smith is worth 11 million +.

This could start a nice trend of NBA players leaving for Europe.

David Stern is a putz, you should have done something about the ASG when you had a chance. Now a wave of players may start leaving the NBA thanks to the weak link which is the ASG.

Way to go Davie Boy.

Hawk88

something.gif

Quote:

If he's really interested in playing next year in Greece, you're absolutely correct.

It would seem Chillz really would enjoy playing with a Euro team. The guy liked the college life, he seems to be well rounded, it would be a natural next step for him to spend some time in Europe. Also, he is more likely to be a starter over there than he is in the NBA. I don't like the ASG, but I do think that letting him go to Europe is better than overpaying him to stay. Remember, Chillz seems to have inherited his feet from Bill Walton. We don't needy another Speedy.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This is not about having your cake and eating it too.

This is about VALUE.

What Value would we get from the 6th pick if Chillz walk? 4 steady years and then nothing?

While I like JC, Diesel your above statement is 99% wrong. If we do not sign JS there is not another comperable player out there for the mid level exemption. However, if Childress walks we can find a COMPERABLE player for the cost of the mid-level ex. We likely cannot afford Kwame if we sign both JS and JC so losing JC, while bad, is NO WHERE NEAR "nothing" since we can at least find a comperable (slightly lesser) player and perhaps also sign Kwame.

W

I agree. Losing Chillz has minimal impact. Especially since Woodson doesn't know the best way to use him...putting him at the point all too often.

The truth is that Chillz wasn't "Point". He was the guy who was able to bring the ball up. For us, that's an advantage because weather it's Lue or Bibby, both guys work better off the ball. Moreover, it freed JJ up from having to bring the ball up. On of the things that became evident is that if we wanted to, we could put JJ, JC in the backcourt and not miss a beat. And have matchup advantages.

Quote:

Quote:

I have no problem with what CHillz agent is doing, we are just getting schooled is all.

If he's really interested in playing next year in Greece, you're absolutely correct.

Can we honestly think that he would like to play dinky ball in Greece? (not dinky dollars, though). I don't know anything about Greek ball but it would seem like he would be the man over there.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have no problem with what CHillz agent is doing, we are just getting schooled is all.

Can we honestly think that he would like to play dinky ball in Greece? (not dinky dollars, though). I don't know anything about Greek ball but it would seem like he would be the man over there.

You asked why he would do it and then gave two reasons he would, money and being the man. On top of that, he has a player option til that deal is done so if the Hawks renounce to remove his caphold or they work our a SnT he's OK with, he could come back over whenever. Unless the Hawks put something nice in front of him in a recovery move (hope not) or work out a SnT to a western power (works for me), I see no reason why he shouldn't take this.

Right...I realize I counterargued myself (hey, I made up a word) but still= Greece vs. NBA????

I guess if thats all he can get thats all he can get...

OK- at what point does he just dive in and sign with Greek team, I mean, ASG had better gird up the loins so to speak or he's out. If he is really serious about this, like you said I think we should try to get value for him while we can.

Well this tells me everything I need to know about Josh Childress. I assume he is doing this for leverage purposes only, but if he is truly considering this, I have to question his competitiveness. As the guy said in "Major League" you have no marbles. Your telling me this guy would rather leave the best league in the world to go play in the second rate Euro league? The same league where NBA rejects like Scoonie Penn and Hanno Mattola are successful? Childress could go to Europe and win 12 championships, and I wouldn't give a flying shish kabob. We need guys around here that are serious about winning NBA championships. Could you ever imagine Michael Jordan, Magic, or Bird doing something like this for a little bit more money?

I'm torn here because I'm all for guys getting the most money, but at some point you have to be enough of a competitor to want to play at the highest level. Euro guys take less money all the time to play in the NBA, and a lot of them couldn't make a pair if you spotted them 1. Whats that say about Childress? I think I'm beginning to understand why Childress falls apart at the end of games.

Please let me know if I'm being to harsh here. It's just the competitor in me.

Quote:

Right...I realize I counterargued myself (hey, I made up a word) but still= Greece vs. NBA????

I guess if thats all he can get thats all he can get...

OK- at what point does he just dive in and sign with Greek team, I mean, ASG had better gird up the loins so to speak or he's out. If he is really serious about this, like you said I think we should try to get value for him while we can.

Well I hope they have been trolling the western teams for a sign and trade that can either get us a couple of bench players (Houston - Hayes, Head) or an expiring plus a late first (Dallas - Stackhouse). Zaza is an expiring too so he can be used as filler if we are planning on signing Kwame.

Frankly, I wouldn't want to pay him that much money and I could see why ASG wouldn't either, it might just be the best decision for Josh. If a SnT doesn't get worked out this season, sit a couple out until all those teams have cap room in a couple of years.

Quote:

Well this tells me everything I need to know about Josh Childress. I assume he is doing this for leverage purposes only, but if he is truly considering this, I have to question his competitiveness. As the guy said in "Major League" you have no marbles. Your telling me this guy would rather leave the best league in the world to go play in the second rate Euro league? The same league where NBA rejects like Scoonie Penn and Hanno Mattola are successful? Childress could go to Europe and win 12 championships, and I wouldn't give a flying shish kabob. We need guys around here that are serious about winning NBA championships. Could you ever imagine Michael Jordan, Magic, or Bird doing something like this for a little bit more money?

I'm torn here because I'm all for guys getting the most money, but at some point you have to be enough of a competitor to want to play at the highest level. Euro guys take less money all the time to play in the NBA, and a lot of them couldn't make a pair if you spotted them 1. Whats that say about Childress? I think I'm beginning to understand why Childress falls apart at the end of games.

You made a pretty good point.

• Premium Member

I think Childress is just a little hurt that the Hawks have been so slow to sign him. I'm kinda miffed at the ASG for being so quiet on the matter. I know that they have few fans around here but I always thought of them as a "different" kind of ownership that does things their own way. They struck me as being fans of this team ON THE COURT. These rumors about them entertaining s-n-t offers and the silent treatment just seems odd to me. I know many here think of this as just being business, but this doesn't seem like square business to me. If you say something, honor your word. I don't care about the games the rest of the league is playing with their free agents, treat these guys right for the effort they give you and let them know that you value their services. If they had no plans to do what they said they were going to do, then they shouldn't have said anything about signing them at the beginning of the offseason.

Quote:

I see your point, but this could be for a lot more money to someone just starting their career and who isn't a superstar. The European team would pay for his taxes, and he really doesn't have any options here. It's either take a $5.6 million a year (before taxes, so that's really like $3.7 million a year if you think he pays 1/3 in taxes) MLE contract with the Hawks, or go somewhere else and make $6.6 million and keep it all. Plus the Hawks seem to be disrespecting him by not negotiating with him.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I see your point, but this could be for a lot more money to someone just starting their career and who isn't a superstar. The European team would pay for his taxes, and he really doesn't have any options here. It's either take a $5.6 million a year (before taxes, so that's really like $3.7 million a year if you think he pays 1/3 in taxes) MLE contract with the Hawks, or go somewhere else and make $6.6 million and keep it all. Plus the Hawks seem to be disrespecting him by not negotiating with him.

I say that the benefit is still with staying in the NBA. Say he does play 3 years in Europe. Make his 20 million. That's it. It's a rap. He won't get another Big contract in the NBA. It doesn't work that way. He'd still be rFA to us and more than likely, he'd end up signing an even Smaller deal playing in the NBA.

However, he can jump on right now and possibly get 5 year 36-40 Million. That means, he can make 2 times as much in Europe while playing only 2 years more. Moreover, he's in the most competitive league in the world. Nothing comes close to NBA respect.

Good post Txsting! I agree, why would a Euroleague team go hard after a player like Childress? Ben Gordon or someone like that would probably tear up a league like that, maybe even Salim.

I call Childress into my office and ask him what it will take for him to stay here. Anything much higher than the MLE and I'd congratulate him on the Euro offer and tell him our door is always open if he changes his mind.

Quote:

I say... if he goes, f*ck him. He can tear up his knee and take their money for nothing in return for all I care.

What does that have to do with the topic at hand? That is a dispicable thing to say. Who would wish that type of misfortune on someone? I pray that no one is projecting any ill will on you. You're clearly a sucka.