• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Comments on the new forum system

Admin

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks cool, but is there a way to view threads knowing who someone posted in response to?

Example, when a thread gets to over 20 posts there could be post #3 by Exodus (just using a name) that I would like to respond specifically to but my post would be #21. In the course of looking at the thread, it is going to seem out of place to respond some 20 posts later unless I specify in my post "This is in response to Exodus...". So is there a way on my post #21 to somewhere show that I clicked reply to post #3 by Exodus? I know there will be instances where I read a post and won't know what a poster is responding to unless I know what post they clicked reply to.

Quote:

Please use this thread to leave comments on the new forum system, until we make the switch.

It's pretty good I think Dolfan. I like my status changed from enthusiast to role player.trampoline.gif How does that work anyhow?

I like that all the posts aren't dragged out throughout the page. I could go with smaller type, something to make it more like the current thread reading pages. I need more posts on one page too. Anyway just thoughts. It is a lot harder to read alot at once for me. Also how to tell which thread I posted in? And i echo what hawks fanatic just said. Tips when you know would help thanks man.

What they suggest is that when you reply to someone that you do a quote reply so that you will know who you are replying to and vice/versa. That gives you a clue within your post of who is being referenced.

If you click the "Options" button at the top of the thread you can switch to "Outline" display mode which is as close as we can get to the threaded view that is the default here. I prefer the threaded view that we use here but for whatever reason most other forums don't have that. There is a rumor on their support forums that someone is working on a mod to have this as a display choice just like we have now when you click on a forum.

I set up roles for everyone up to 25,000 posts with 12 different levels so depending on your post count you will see something different.

I will see what I can do about the amount of posts per page, that might be an option in your profile as well but I haven't had time to look for it yet.

I am planning on going to 11px like we use here instead of 12 which is what the new one is currently set to.

I just really liked how in a thread here you view on someone's post "This thread is DUMB [Re: gsuteke]" you can tell that Exodus is responding to gsuteke and not jhay610 (which is how it would look on the new site). The new system is like what RealGM is and it gets very confusing when a thread gets long since people reply and don't specify who they are responding to.

I looked at the "Outline" view, it just seems like way too much clicking on individual responses and I know I am too lazy to keep doing that especially on a thread that gets more than 10 responses.

If you ever come across a way that it shows up in post #21 that it was in response to post #3 that would be great. I just don't have much faith in Hawksquawk as a whole specifying who they are replying to in a thread.

I'll keep an eye out and hopefully something will pop up that will take care of that. As of this point I haven't really had a chance to go through their PHP files so I might be able to find where to change that in the code, although I'm not holding my breath.

Okay so here's the deal. Going forward all of the posts will show who you are replying to because when you click on the reply button on each post it's automatically a "quote reply" and will show the posters name. It also adds a tiny button in the quote that lets you jump back to the post that you replied to which I think is really cool. Check out the last post in this topic:

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index....05entry330405

The reason that we aren't seeing that now is because this forum software doesn't do that when you reply to someone, or at least it doesn't add it in the way that can be converted should I say.

I think that is good for posts. With that reply to a certain post quotation, I think that will alieviate a lot of confusion. I could just envision someone responding in a thread to Exodus and gsuteke thinks that it is a response to him and gets angered (not picking on those guys, just using arbitrary names), but so long as posters do not delete that quotation then it will be fine.

Do you have an estimate when the new board will be up? I've been playing around on it and it seems really cool especially with the capabilities for blogs and galleries. Once more people get on it I think it will develop to be more interesting.

I'm thinking that it should be done and ready by this weekend at the latest. The cool thing about it is that the admin has TONS of ability to do things and there are hundreds of mods available to do all sorts of things.

Also, my name went back to 'Libid21' in the new forum. I know you can change usernames now with IPB, so tha shouldn't be a problem, I'm just letting you know, that those who have changed their display names in the past probably lose their new name in the new forum.