• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What do you do when??

Diesel

• Premium Member

It's the offseason of 2009.

Chillz was allowed to Walk.

Hawks signed Luke Jackson to a 2 year deal and he has turned out to be a 8/3/2 players over 19 mpg.

Marvin turns in a 16/6 season.

Hawks didn't make the playoffs but JJ and Smoove played allstar level.

Bibby was in rapid decline. Zaza was seldom seen. Brown didn't pan out. Morris was a little less than adequate. Horf improved to 15/9.7 player. Speedy was hurt midseason. Acie came along and was a 8/3/5 player in 26 mpg.

what do you do when Marvin comes looking for his rfa extension?

Bibby, solo, and Zaza comes off the books giving us 22 Million in cap space.

What do you do. Do you resign Marvin to a big contract?

If another team throws more than 8 Million at Marvin do you match?

Do you regret not having Chillz?

Quote:

Hawks signed Luke Jackson to a 2 year deal and he has turned out to be a 8/3/2 players over 19 mpg.

Bibby was in rapid decline. Zaza was seldom seen. Brown didn't pan out. Morris was a little less than adequate. Horf improved to 15/9.7 player. Speedy was hurt midseason. Acie came along and was a 8/3/5 player in 26 mpg.

So Marvin, Luke Jackson, Acie, and Al average 47 points a game between the four and Joe and Josh get at least 20 ppg(I would think that that is all star level) each yet we don't make the playoffs?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

So Marvin, Luke Jackson, Acie, and Al average 47 points a game between the four and Joe and Josh get at least 20 ppg(I would think that that is all star level) each yet we don't make the playoffs?

That's only 87 points? Don't run the victory lap yet!!

Moreover, making the playoffs is going to be much harder this year than Last. Teams are already better than they were.

• Premium Member

Quote:

you sign and trade Marvin for a decent player and then use all that cap space to get a good player.

Doc, there probably won't be any.

We're at 51.747 now.

IF Smoove gets an offer than starts at 10.5.. that means we go to 62

So even if we lose 22 million, tha's only 40 Million + whatever small contracts we have.

If Marvin gets a 9 million dollar offer, that leaves us at 49 Million dollars weather we SNT him or keep him. Depending on the contracts (2 year deals), we will prolly have about 4-5 Million to spend when it's all said and done.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Moreover, making the playoffs is going to be much harder this year than Last. Teams are already better than they were.

Even if Bibby sucks he would still average 9 points and I'm pretty sure that they rest of the roster could average enough to get to 100.

On paper these other teams have gotten better but they still have to deal with chemistry issues. I'm assuming that you think the Bucks and Bulls will be better than us, right?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Even if Bibby sucks he would still average 9 points and I'm pretty sure that they rest of the roster could average enough to get to 100.

On paper these other teams have gotten better but they still have to deal with chemistry issues. I'm assuming that you think the Bucks and Bulls will be better than us, right?

Definitely the Bucks.

Probably the Heat.

Possibly the Bobcats... and did anybody see the Nets?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Definitely the Bucks.

Probably the Heat.

I'll give you the Bucks but the Heat and the Bobcats haven't done anything to improve.

D-Whistle is probably going to get hurt again this year and Shawn Marion will eventually be traded. They still have no center, starting point guard, and a rookie coach on top of that. Unless David Stern gets them every call they shouldn't be much better than last year.

The Bobcats have a bunch of wings and drafted a new point guard because Felton just doesn't cut it. Okafor hasn't re-signed yet and he is still the only big man they have on their roster. Who knows, Larry Brown may decide to blow up the roster and bring in guys that he likes.

Quote:

16/6 is not a bad season; better than Chilz and equal to Prince. 22 mill in cap space as well.

Sign MWill, grab a PG and see if we can get over the top. If Chilz walks to Greece, we can still SNT him if he can find a suitor willing to overpay for his services...

Diesel, what do you when ?

1. We resign Smoove to a 6 years $66 mill with a $9 mill starting salary

2. We resign Chillz to a 6 year $50 mill salary starting at $7 mill.

3. We have $2.5 mill left under the tax line to fill out 5 roster spots. We can't burn it all on a servicable big b/c we have to pay luxury tax on the 4 remaining roster spots and lose out on the profit sharing teams get who are under the cap. The ASG are business conscious and not a "Maverick" like Cuban, no pun intended.

4. Chillz has his 3rd stress fracture in his left foot and misses time

5. Speedy misses time, as expected, making your depth at the 11th and 12th man more important

6. ZaZa shows that the fire he displayed in 3 or 4 games of the playoffs is not something he can do over 82 games for 20 mpg...which,I think,would not be a shock to anyone.

Man, that is one shallow and weak bench. Looks like that Hawks group will be pushed around in the paint alot,just like last year and be forced to play alot of small ball on a 7 or 8 man rotation.

What do we do then ?

For once I want some big guys who are built like traditional centers to come in here and bang for 25 minutes a night without being abused. I want a guy, off the bench, who can spot up on the wing and stretch the floor so a more traditional half cout offense can be executed............AND I don't want to break the bank to get these role players.

Any GM can over pay for a 6th man.

A GOOD GM finds a way to get role players with a balanced roster while on a budget and leave the big money to the real stars !

Over paying for a 6th man, at the wing position, with an unconventional game, and 1 year removed from stress fractures ,i the left "POWER" foot (for leapers) is enoough red flags for me. Man, I sound like a hater but I swear I'm not ! I am just money conscious when it come to building my FAVORITE team.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Definitely the Bucks.

Probably the Heat.

I'll give you the Bucks but the Heat and the Bobcats haven't done anything to improve.

D-Whistle is probably going to get hurt again this year and Shawn Marion will eventually be traded. They still have no center, starting point guard, and a rookie coach on top of that. Unless David Stern gets them every call they shouldn't be much better than last year.

The Bobcats have a bunch of wings and drafted a new point guard because Felton just doesn't cut it. Okafor hasn't re-signed yet and he is still the only big man they have on their roster. Who knows, Larry Brown may decide to blow up the roster and bring in guys that he likes.

You can't suggest that the heat will be injured. Come on. They have: Dwade, Haslem, Marion, Beasley. They also have guys ready to blow up like Jones and Chalmers.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Definitely the Bucks.

Probably the Heat.

You can't suggest that the heat will be injured. Come on. They have: Dwade, Haslem, Marion, Beasley. They also have guys ready to blow up like Jones and Chalmers.

Haslem ?!

He's nothing but an above average roleplay at best. The Heat have done nothing. They were the worse team last year, and still one of the worst in my opinion.

The Bucks haven't done anything yet, and have no rebounders outside of Bogut. Not to mention they still can't play defense.

The Bobcats might be able to make a run if they resign Okafor.

The Nets ?! C'mon man, no. They don't have a team, whatsoever. No leaders, and Vince Carter is, by a long shot, their best player. Vince Carter isn't carrying a team anywhere.

Quote:

With the team you described, the only way we miss the playoffs is if Marvin averaged 16/6, but shot less than 43% FG. As the main complimentary scorer to JJ and Smith, he cannot shoot that low.

So if that's the case, no. You don't match any offer over 8 mill.

On the flip side, if he shoots 48%+ FG, you immeadiately any deal between 8 mill and 9 mill.

If he shoots 48%+ FG and leads the Hawks in FT makes with 450+ FTM, you match anything between 8 and 9.5 mill a year. The increased FT makes and high shooting % are indicators that he is capable of being the #1 or #2 scoring option, thus, increasing his value.

And I'll tell you what. If we miss the playoffs in 2009, the guy under the gun that summer will not be Marvin . . . it'll be Joe Johnson. Because the ASG would have to seriously start considering if JJ is worthy of a big extension if that happened. You'd let his play, and the fortunes of the Hawks, determine if you retain him or not.

If the Hawks struggle in 2010, you trade JJ, not any of the kids.

If you don't trade him, you let his deal fall off the books, and make a run at the big time FAs in 2010.

If not, you then see if Smith, Marvin, Horford, and Acie can get it done for the future. That move also gives you more than enough money to retain both Horford and Acie and add quality role players.

Quote:

One option that is missing from this is......draft a possible replacement depending on whatever our team needs are. Also if Chillz is still in Greece.....and Marvin needs to go....it may be another time to bring over D. Anderson.....although if Sund was high on him he probably would be in play now as an option.....but I agree with Northcyde, I believe.....IF we aren't in the playoff.....JJ needs to be moved in order to free up $$$$ to further tweak the team.

I remember last year when the Heat were better than us for getting Ricky Davis, an Charlie V was better than 4 of our starters. Oh, and then the Knicks were better for getting Randolph.

Quote:

...And I'll tell you what. If we miss the playoffs in 2009, the guy under the gun that summer will not be Marvin . . .
it'll be Joe Johnson.
Because the ASG would have to seriously start considering if JJ is worthy of a big extension if that happened. You'd let his play, and the fortunes of the Hawks, determine if you retain him or not....

Excellent point northcyde. I have criticized the JJ trade - NOT because we got JJ (who is a helleva player) - but because of what BK gave.

Still, that isn't to the point. The main thing BK messed up was that he expected JJ to be Kobe. JJ is one heck of a 2 guard but he needs players around him (goes back to what we gave). JJ got more money and responsibilty than he deserved.