• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Get ready for QUINTON ROSS

atlien

Just to give this its own thread, I honestly think Ross is a much better option than Patterson.

Anyone who has seen him play the last couple, can see that his talent hasn't been used all that well on the Clips. The guy is an elite-level defender (better than Patterson at this moment in time; Patterson may have once been better). He also can shoot.

I had no idea he was an UFA. I thought he was restricted. If we can get him for a couple million a year, we'd be crazy not to. I dont think he could be had for so cheap tho. And if he could, he'd prolly go to a San Antonio-type. But still, it's worth a shot. He's the perfect 6th man for us (even better than Chill IMO b/c of his elite defense and ability to hit 3s).

He's a bit like Ime Udoka (but I actually like Ross's game a bit more).

Anyways...

Ross > Patterson

• Premium Member

Quote:

Let's have Woody earn that extension and teach JR some defense.

It's kind of hard to teach someone defense when they refuse to bother.

There's a reason that a lights-out shooter with incredible athleticism only gets 20 min./game.

Quote:

Quentin Ross sucks. I'd rather give J-Rich or Salim those minutes.

I beg to differ. Ross has been underutilized by the Clips, but is an elite defender. He's better than both J-Rich and Salim. I wouldnt give him a big deal or anything... but he'd be a nice player coming off our bench at the right price.

Quote:

He's a poor man's Josh Childress, but a good player nonetheless.

I think he'd be a valid target.

While I agree he's a poor man's Chill, I'd rather have him at $5-million for 2 years, than have Chill at $35-million for five years.

If we can add Ross and Kwame, I think we'll have a decent (slightly below average) bench.

Quote:

Quote:

Let's have Woody earn that extension and teach JR some defense.

It's kind of hard to teach someone defense when they refuse to bother.

There's a reason that a lights-out shooter with incredible athleticism only gets 20 min./game.

what are you talkin bout? he was in denver where hardly anybody(including camby) played good, consistant defense. when you have a 21/22 year old on your team your best players have to lead by example. so if your best players arent trying to play D then JR gonna " i guest i dont have to play defense either". when AI and Mello are taking bad shots JR is gonna say "its ok for me to take bad shots". george carl got mad a JR for not playing defense and taking bad shots but never said a damn thing when AI and Mello was doing the same thing (especially AI).

im tired of people using "he dont play no d" BS.

Quote:

Just to give this its own thread, I honestly think Ross is a much better option than Patterson.

Anyone who has seen him play the last couple, can see that his talent hasn't been used all that well on the Clips. The guy is an elite-level defender (better than Patterson at this moment in time; Patterson may have once been better). He also can shoot.

Atlien . . you sure you're not getting him mixed up with Cuttino Mobley or something?

Ross a shooter? LMAO! He shot 39% FG last season. A 4th year guy shooting 39%, is not a good shooter. He did shoot 42% on threes . . .but only on 21 attempts ( his all time high in 3-point attempts in a season ). His career 3-point % is still under 30%.

And calling him an "elite" defender, is a bit of a stretch. A looooooong stretch. Bowen is an elite defender. Ross is just a guy who can play good defense, much like Mario West.

Patterson is far and away a better player than Ross. Just over a year ago, Patterson was very productive in Milwaukee (edited), and shot almost 58% FG.

It's his attitude and demeanor that turns teams off about Patterson, not his play on the court, because Ruben is a baller.

But if those are our choices, I'd much rather roll with Acie, Jeremy, and Mario.

Heck, Quinton is basically the 2-guard version of Royal Ivey.

Quote:

what are you talkin bout? he was in denver where hardly anybody(including camby) played good, consistant defense. when you have a 21/22 year old on your team your best players have to lead by example. so if your best players arent trying to play D then JR gonna " i guest i dont have to play defense either". when AI and Mello are taking bad shots JR is gonna say "its ok for me to take bad shots". george carl got mad a JR for not playing defense and taking bad shots but never said a damn thing when AI and Mello was doing the same thing (especially AI).

Hoodstar . . stop it.

LOL . . please stop.

JR Smith literally has Tyronn Lue like defensive awareness. He DOESN'T play defense . . literally.

And a coach isn't going to get on his star players for taking bad shots, when it's their job to be volume scorers. That's like saying that Woody should get mad at JJ for taking questionable shots, just because he got mad when Salim took them.

Quote:

Quote:

Hoodstar . . stop it.

LOL . . please stop.

JR Smith literally has Tyronn Lue like defensive awareness. He DOESN'T play defense . . literally.

And a coach isn't going to get on his star players for taking bad shots, when it's their job to be volume scorers. That's like saying that Woody should get mad at JJ for taking questionable shots, just because he got mad when Salim took them.

let get this strait. your emplying to me that we SHOULD NOT go after JR JUST because he hasnt shown to play defense on a team where none of the players play defense and the coach doesnt give a damn but act like he does. ? so want to pass young talent because of that?

as my man d*ck Gregory would put it "what i kind of fool is you?

i still JR regardless of his defense.

Smoove isn't worth 12mil

Chillz is just a sixth man and doesn't mean much to this team

J.R Smith is a bad guy who doesn't play defense

Can someone please tell me there grand scheme where the Hawks can at least reach where they were last season. All I hear is people ripping our own players and saying other possible candidates wouldn't help this team.

Ruben Patterson

Kwame Brown

Luke Jackson

or

Smoove

Chillz

J.R Smith

That first group are players people on this board are clamoring for. All bust who haven't contributed as much as or don't have the potential of the second group. Say what you want about the Smiths and chillz they are players who make an impact on the floor. They have flaws just as every young player in this league. There flaws obviously weren't as much as the two busts in the first group or the great Ruben.

Ross over Patterson! Patterson is not a baller! At least Ross has the potential to improve.

I would take Bonzi Wells over Patterson.

Quote:

let get this strait. your emplying to me that we SHOULD NOT go after JR JUST because he hasnt shown to play defense on a team where none of the players play defense and the coach doesnt give a damn but act like he does. ? so want to pass young talent because of that?

as my man
d*ck
Gregory would put it "what i kind of fool is you?

i still JR regardless of his defense.

Hood, for the most part in the NBA, a player who has a big deficiency, usually can't rid of it.

We tried to make Salim a PG . . he couldn't do it.

Shaq tried to become a decent FT shooter . . he couldn't do it.

We want Marvin to develop a 3-point shot . . he hasn't done it.

I never said that we shouldn't sign Smith. I'm just saying that knowing Woody, that's the type of player that would end up in his "doghouse", because he has little to NO desire to play defense. He would much rather coach a Patterson, than a JR Smith.

If a guy like JR struggled ANY under Woody, and then followed that up with the pizz-poor defense he usually plays, he'd end up buried on the bench.

And keep this in mind about Karl. He's a coach that has always preached defense. So if JR could at least halfway defend at the 2, he'd easily get 30 minutes a game. But because he doesn't ( or doesn't even try ), he sees limited minutes unless he's red hot.

Because of that, and because Iverson is a poor man defender, he has to go with a limited offensive PG that can play a little defense like an Anthony Carter, and hope Iverson can run people to death playing at the 2, giving him an offensive advantage there.

In essence, it's the same ish we used to do with Royal Ivey and Tyronn Lue. The only reason why Ivey started those first 5 - 6 minutes of games 2 years ago, was to prevent teams to breaking out on large runs to start the halves.

I don't have a problem with adding JR as another shooter. I just know that all I can count on him for, is ro take the open 3-ball, and hope he makes it. He won't do anything else, and might give up points on the defensive end if you give him extended minutes.

But if we get him, don't get mad at JR if he doesn't hustle after a loose ball in his area . . . or if he watches his man shoot the ball without even trying to close out on him . . . or if he gets totally lost on the court, and let someone drive in for an easy lay-up.