• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

According To Steven A. Smith

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

Smith stated that Josh Smith was offered a contract of 6 yrs worth $60 million dollars guaranteed. With incentives the would deal worth over $70 million and he turned it down. He is said to be looking for a deal that would pay him at least $12 million per season or he would accept the qualifying offer and become an unrestricted FA the following season.

Let us do the math here; If Smith takes a qualifying offer of $3 mil and get his $12 mil next season over 5 years, the total would be $63 million over 6 years. Even if he takes the 6/60 and doesn't hit a single incentive, the difference would only be $3 million right? Will someone please help with the logic here!

I don't normally believe Screaming A. Smith and this isn't any different. I highly doubt this is legitimate because as you say, if he takes the $3 million QO and then gets the $12 million a year it is not worth more than what is rumored to be offered.

It becomes more about ego than logic

"Show me the money" so i feel appreciated...

We all tend to think the same way in instances...how many times have you been fed up with your work environment and think..they couldnt do *$*#@ without me? The reality is when you leave the org your production is easily replaced because of the system in place...

Smith stated that Josh Smith was offered a contract of 6 yrs worth $60 million dollars guaranteed. With incentives the would deal worth over $70 million and he turned it down. He is said to be looking for a deal that would pay him at least $12 million per season or he would accept the qualifying offer and become an unrestricted FA the following season.

Let us do the math here; If Smith takes a qualifying offer of $3 mil and get his $12 mil next season over 5 years, the total would be $63 million over 6 years. Even if he takes the 6/60 and doesn't hit a single incentive, the difference would only be $3 million right? Will someone please help with the logic here!

The math you just quoted is why i have said taking the QO is so unlikely. And that doesn't even account for the risks invloved.

• Premium Member
I'd hate to overpay Smoove, but after what just happened with Biedrins and even Ellis, he has no reason to accept 10 mill a year.

Did you miss the incentives up to $70 million part? So why would he be so mad about that contract?

Edited by Peoriabird

Either he's playing the game of poker and holding out for more or he doesn't want to play here next year and he's looking for a trade. Said it before, if the stuff rumored about Chill is true in his negotiations, Smoove isn't going to take the same crap.

• Premium Member
Either he's playing the game of poker and holding out for more or he doesn't want to play here next year and he's looking for a trade. Said it before, if the stuff rumored about Chill is true in his negotiations, Smoove isn't going to take the same crap.

Again I ask, What is wrong with the offer?

• Premium Member
he wants what ellis and beans got regardless of incentives.

plus ive learned to not believe these things until sekou comments on it.

Beans got $63 million and Ellis got $67 million and we don't know how much is guaranteed!

It becomes more about ego than logic

"Show me the money" so i feel appreciated...

We all tend to think the same way in instances...how many times have you been fed up with your work environment and think..they couldnt do *$*#@ without me? The reality is when you leave the org your production is easily replaced because of the system in place...

The Hawks don't have a system in place. The don't have the stability at the top for us as fans to be confident they will make the right moves post Smoove. They can't get equal value for Smoove at this point.

The more you hear about the owners of any organization the worst off it is. Mark Cuban and the Maloofs maybe the exception. Even they don't hurt their franchise like the ASG though.

• Premium Member
And with Josh, that is a real possibility.

How is that? Smith has proven to be one of the hardest workers in the NBA the past four seasons. We read at least 4 articles every offseason speaking about how hard a worker he is. He obviously cares about basketball with all the emotion he shows on the court. I remember JJ in the 06 offseason PREDICTED Smith would have a breakout year, that summer he was saying Smith's just been working so hard. Last summer in 07 he worked with two hall of famers in Houston.

Edited by AtLaS