• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We Need A Better Understanding Of Byc...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Smoove is SNT, he becomes BYC.

Let's get some realistic talk here... I have seen some outrageous proposals that won't work.

That means if we are to trade Smoove, we can only take back half of what he makes while the other team has to be able to take the whole thing.

So let's say we sign Smoove to that 5 year 60 Million dollar deal. That deal pays 10 Million to start.

That means that the most we can take back for Smoove is (5)*125%+100,000 =6.35 Million.

In order words, a team would have to be able to take 10 Million.. but give us 6.35 Million back.... i.e. they would need to have 3.75 Million either in the cap or in an exception.

Every proposal is about a team that's over the cap.

If you add Speedy, you're still talking about a team being able to take 15.757 Million but at the same time, only being able to send back 12.083 Million.

It used to be that you could not send more than one player in a SNT deal, but since Ben Wallace, the rules have changed... so if you're considering Speedy, it must be a deal at 12.083 Million.

Now, let's talk about some teams:

Chicago could deal with us (I suppose). They are under the cap. However, they have cap holds... So that will make things difficult.

Clippers could be in the fray. I say that because they lost out on Azubike. They traded Knight's 2 Million for Hart. And they were already kinda tittering under the cap.

The trade could be Kaman and Williams for Smoove and Zaza.

Another team who could afford Smoove outright is Denver.

If you follow the rumors, the Nuggets are looking to move Mello because he's a part of the big FA sweeps.

What the deal was Smoove/Marvin for Mello?

Denver has a trade exception from the Camby deal and they could make that happen.

Just some deals to think about that make more sense than proposing that these capped out teams apply for Smoove.

Other teams that you can consider:

Memphis = Likely won't trade.

Charlotte = Under the cap but has that cap hold problem

Here's a question for Fanatic:

If the Hawks SNT Smith for a SNT Okafor, would the cap hold be released off of Okafor and allow the trade??

Smoove is SNT, he becomes BYC.

Let's get some realistic talk here... I have seen some outrageous proposals that won't work.

That means if we are to trade Smoove, we can only take back half of what he makes while the other team has to be able to take the whole thing.

So let's say we sign Smoove to that 5 year 60 Million dollar deal. That deal pays 10 Million to start.

That means that the most we can take back for Smoove is (5)*125%+100,000 =6.35 Million.

In order words, a team would have to be able to take 10 Million.. but give us 6.35 Million back.... i.e. they would need to have 3.75 Million either in the cap or in an exception.

Every proposal is about a team that's over the cap.

If you add Speedy, you're still talking about a team being able to take 15.757 Million but at the same time, only being able to send back 12.083 Million.

It used to be that you could not send more than one player in a SNT deal, but since Ben Wallace, the rules have changed... so if you're considering Speedy, it must be a deal at 12.083 Million.

Now, let's talk about some teams:

Chicago could deal with us (I suppose). They are under the cap. However, they have cap holds... So that will make things difficult.

Clippers could be in the fray. I say that because they lost out on Azubike. They traded Knight's 2 Million for Hart. And they were already kinda tittering under the cap.

The trade could be Kaman and Williams for Smoove and Zaza.

Another team who could afford Smoove outright is Denver.

If you follow the rumors, the Nuggets are looking to move Mello because he's a part of the big FA sweeps.

What the deal was Smoove/Marvin for Mello?

Denver has a trade exception from the Camby deal and they could make that happen.

Just some deals to think about that make more sense than proposing that these capped out teams apply for Smoove.

Other teams that you can consider:

Memphis = Likely won't trade.

Charlotte = Under the cap but has that cap hold problem

Here's a question for Fanatic:

If the Hawks SNT Smith for a SNT Okafor, would the cap hold be released off of Okafor and allow the trade??

i said smoove and marvin for melo, but looking at it now. i wouldn't do it (that's kinda funny because it may be something we have to do in order to get some real value for smoove). now since losing chillz, we have to get smoove back, but i still think we could offer a trade to denver. if they really want cap space, i think they would have to consider marvin, bibby, and a couple future 1st, for melo.

Law

JJ

Melo

Smoove

Horford

but no real bench to speak of. our starters would probably average 90+ points a game.

You would take away the caphold and look at the Bobcats as sending Okafor at whatever salary. It is still complicated, assuming Smoove's salary starts at $10 million and Okafor start's at $10 million:

From Charlotte's perspective, they are sending away $5 million but can absorb the $10 million through cap space.

From Atanta's perspective, they are sending away $5 million so can absorb $5 million *125% +$100,000 = $6.35 million. So the deal cannot work since Okafor has a contract of $10 million coming to Atlanta.

It makes it a little easier dealing with Charlotte, but it is still very complicated.

• Premium Member
You would take away the caphold and look at the Bobcats as sending Okafor at whatever salary. It is still complicated, assuming Smoove's salary starts at $10 million and Okafor start's at $10 million:

From Charlotte's perspective, they are sending away $5 million but can absorb the $10 million through cap space.

From Atanta's perspective, they are sending away $5 million so can absorb $5 million *125% +$100,000 = $6.35 million. So the deal cannot work since Okafor has a contract of $10 million coming to Atlanta.

It makes it a little easier dealing with Charlotte, but it is still very complicated.

So what if we signed Smoove at 10 Million, add in Speedy.

They signed Okafor at 12 Million.

In essence, they're taking 15 Million for 6. At 47 Mil, they are more than 9 under the cap.

So what if we signed Smoove at 10 Million, add in Speedy.

They signed Okafor at 12 Million.

In essence, they're taking 15 Million for 6. At 47 Mil, they are more than 9 under the cap.

That would work under the CBA. Atlanta would be sending away roughly $10 million with Smoove and Speedy so they could take back 125%+100k, 12 million fits within that.

Can someone explain what a cap hold is?

Here are the details.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#30

But the short of it - basically there is a possible projected salary amount than a FA can make that is temporarily counted against a team's salary cap so that isn't available until the FA signs with the team, with another team, or the team renounces his rights.

Here are the details.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#30

But the short of it - basically there is a possible projected salary amount than a FA can make that is temporarily counted against a team's salary cap so that isn't available until the FA signs with the team, with another team, or the team renounces his rights.

Thanks.

So why is there still a caphold for Childress?

Can someone explain what a cap hold is?

It is a way to prevent a loophole in the CBA. With Bird Rights, theoretically a team can sign up as many free agents as they want up to the cap and then use Bird Rights to sign their own free agents over the cap. A caphold simply means you are charge a certain amount of cap space to ensure this does not happen.

Smoove's specific caphold is 300% of his previous salary (so about $7-8 million). Capholds are different for each type of free agent, free agents with Bird Rights usually have a higher value of a cap hold than a free agent who is coming off a minimum contract. For example, Jeremy Richardson has a caphold with us and it is 120% of his previous salary.

Man can you imagine the problems JJ/Melo would cause defensively??? With Horf/Smoove down low....EC title!

I'm pretty sure it would take Smoove to get us Melo though right?

Melo will never be the best or 2nd best player on a winning team. Winning as in a title contender.

• Premium Member
Atl hasn't renounced him, nor has he signed a deal with them, or with any NBA team.

If they renounced him, then he would be a unrestricted FA and ATL would lose their rights.

The childress Cap hold should bother us until we renounce him. It's like 9 Million we can't spend.

Why not renounce it?

I believe Diesel wanted to say it should not bother us. If we renounce Childress, then we do not gain any additional cap space since we are already over the cap and renouncing will not bring us under the cap. Also, if we renounce Childress then that means we rescinded our QO (making him a UFA) and lose all of our rights to him.

There is no reason to renounce Childress right now.

• Premium Member
I believe Diesel wanted to say it should not bother us. If we renounce Childress, then we do not gain any additional cap space since we are already over the cap and renouncing will not bring us under the cap. Also, if we renounce Childress then that means we rescinded our QO (making him a UFA) and lose all of our rights to him.

There is no reason to renounce Childress right now.

No, I was not talking about today. Renouncing Chillz will be a problem today.

However, next year, when 22 Million comes off.. We could be in position to have cap space. Then it will matter. The year after next could be even greater.