• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Kwame Agrees To Deal With Pistons

Admin

Kwame Brown is headed back to the Eastern Conference.

Brown's agent, Mark Bartlestein, told ESPN.com on Monday night that the former No. 1 pick in the 2001 draft has reached a verbal agreement on a new contract with the Detroit Pistons.

The contract is believed to be a two-year deal worth $8 million, with Brown -- who spent his first four seasons as a pro in Washington after being drafted by then-Wizards president Michael Jordan -- holding a player option to return to free agency after this season.

Brown earned nearly $9.1 million last season in the final year of his previous three-year deal, which the 26-year-old received in the summer of 2005 in a sign-and-trade from Washington to the Los Angeles Lakers. Brown's expiring salary was the chief chip that the Lakers used to convince the Memphis Grizzlies to send Pau Gasol to L.A. on Feb. 1 in a trade that earned the Grizzlies widespread criticism.

Brown played in only 15 games with the Grizzlies after the trade, averaging just 3.5 points and 3.8 rebounds in under 14 minutes per game.

Kwame Brown is headed back to the Eastern Conference.

Brown's agent, Mark Bartlestein, told ESPN.com on Monday night that the former No. 1 pick in the 2001 draft has reached a verbal agreement on a new contract with the Detroit Pistons.

The contract is believed to be a two-year deal worth $8 million, with Brown -- who spent his first four seasons as a pro in Washington after being drafted by then-Wizards president Michael Jordan -- holding a player option to return to free agency after this season.

Brown earned nearly $9.1 million last season in the final year of his previous three-year deal, which the 26-year-old received in the summer of 2005 in a sign-and-trade from Washington to the Los Angeles Lakers. Brown's expiring salary was the chief chip that the Lakers used to convince the Memphis Grizzlies to send Pau Gasol to L.A. on Feb. 1 in a trade that earned the Grizzlies widespread criticism.

Brown played in only 15 games with the Grizzlies after the trade, averaging just 3.5 points and 3.8 rebounds in under 14 minutes per game.

Phooey. The rich get richer and the poor (us obviously) get poorer. Does anyone know if we could have swung a 2/8 deal?

The ASG comes through again!

Phooey. The rich get richer and the poor (us obviously) get poorer. Does anyone know if we could have swung a 2/8 deal?

The ASG comes through again!

No, we didn't have 4 million left per year, I don't remember exactly but I think we have a little more than 3 million per to offer with the MLE.

My question is, with the Pistons adding a big, should we read into it at all that they might need Kwame to replace someone(s) that they are potentially trading?

I guess the Kwame boat sailed with the Evans signing. If we do get Morris, then probably (Morris + Evans) > Kwame, especially considering how few minutes we have available at BU C vs. BU G/F.

This at least increases the possibility that Detroit would part with Amir, who I understand is a cog in the rumored SNT for Smoove.

If you ask me, the Detroit deal doesn't help us at all. I hope this doesn't portend any movement on that front. I can scarcely imagine a SNT that would be any good for us. We must do what it takes to resign Josh at this point. Simple as that. And it's still more likely than not that we can get it done.

Good question...there may be a deal in place we don't know of. Is a Smoove for Prince/Rip Hamilton deal feasible fellas?

No it's not likely as that would mean us including Speedy, Zaza, and Solo to make the deal happen, which would decimate our already thin front court.

If there is a deal with the Pistons I think it will have to be Johnson and Prince with us sending out Speedy in addition to Smoove.

Although I don't like the trade, I think Detroit should throw in DJ White, if we put up Smith and Claxton. However, I think the adding of Kwame Brown could mean they are ready to part ways with Amir or a veteran big like McDyess.

Edited by EazyRoc

I posted this in another thread but then wondered if signing Brown would help them make a deal for Smoove. Maybe they got him to make the deal for Amir Johnson???

Josh Smith Too Expensive?

A recycled rumor out of Detroit drew commentary from the Pistons today, with Joe Dumars' camp saying they were interested in Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith, but that the price of a sign-and-trade was too high. Detroit, of course, was offering Tayshaun Prince, who has surely had his bags packed for weeks. The Hawks, though, had something else in mind.

While we don't know exactly what the counter-offer from Atlanta was, it should have been that Chauncey Billups get thrown into the deal. Prince alone is not worth Josh Smith, nor is he worth destroying a franchise that finally made it out of the muck of mediocrity it had called home for nearly a decade.

What's up with the Hawks, anyway? Are they so inexperienced at winning that they don't know what to do with themselves?

Well, here's a clue: the best thing to do when you've found a winning combination is to keep it as close to intact as possible. Tweak it here and there, but don't make major changes. It was bad enough letting Josh Childress head to Europe, and arguably Mo Evans will make that a moot point. But losing Josh Smith would be a huge disappointment for Hawks fans, and it would derail all of the progress the team made last season. It might even be the end of the Hawks in Atlanta.

I posted this in another thread but then wondered if signing Brown would help them make a deal for Smoove. Maybe they got him to make the deal for Amir Johnson???

Josh Smith Too Expensive?

A recycled rumor out of Detroit drew commentary from the Pistons today, with Joe Dumars' camp saying they were interested in Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith, but that the price of a sign-and-trade was too high. Detroit, of course, was offering Tayshaun Prince, who has surely had his bags packed for weeks. The Hawks, though, had something else in mind.

While we don't know exactly what the counter-offer from Atlanta was, it should have been that Chauncey Billups get thrown into the deal. Prince alone is not worth Josh Smith, nor is he worth destroying a franchise that finally made it out of the muck of mediocrity it had called home for nearly a decade.

What's up with the Hawks, anyway? Are they so inexperienced at winning that they don't know what to do with themselves?

Well, here's a clue: the best thing to do when you've found a winning combination is to keep it as close to intact as possible. Tweak it here and there, but don't make major changes. It was bad enough letting Josh Childress head to Europe, and arguably Mo Evans will make that a moot point. But losing Josh Smith would be a huge disappointment for Hawks fans, and it would derail all of the progress the team made last season. It might even be the end of the Hawks in Atlanta.

WTF is people's obsessions with getting Chauncey?

He has at least 3 years left on his deal.

THE WHOLE POINT OF THE BIBBY TRADE WAS TO GIVE HIM 1 MORE YEAR AFTER LAST YEAR AND LET ACIE LAW TAKE THE HELM THEREAFTER.

WTF is people's obsessions with getting Chauncey?

He has at least 3 years left on his deal.

THE WHOLE POINT OF THE BIBBY TRADE WAS TO GIVE HIM 1 MORE YEAR AFTER LAST YEAR AND LET ACIE LAW TAKE THE HELM THEREAFTER.

I thought the point of getting bibby was using our expirings as an asset and unloading shelden...now bibby is an expiring asset. Law taking over the show in 2009? Theres still a long road ahead before that.